Laughing Laughing

(ok, im leaving now.. really.. )

I hate the religious forums.. (shudder)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 08:29 am
dalahow2 wrote

Quote:
.......An Atheist is someone who doesn't believe in the Existence of God...

My first question to the atheist will be:

"What is the definition of God?"

My first question is what is your definition of "existence" !

There is a branch of philosophy known as ontology devoted to that very question.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 05:44 pm
Abid wrote:

Is not the creation of the universe enough of a sign for you?

Did you create yourself?
Were you created from nothing?
Or were you created by something?

You mean the existence of the universe? No, it looks entirely natural to me, nothing looks deliberate or "made". That the universe was created is your assumption (one I assume to be false)

I did not create myself, my parents created me, and theirs created them...

No, I was created from something...sperm and egg, then food, same as you.

You guys really struggle with this stuff, don't you?
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:53 am
Eorl wrote:
Abid wrote:

Did you create yourself?

You mean the existence of the universe? No, it looks entirely natural to me, nothing looks deliberate or "made". That the universe was created is your assumption (one I assume to be false)

Are you really that stupid that you dont understand the question?

I think not.

Just in case i will re-phrase (never can be too sure Laughing )

Did LIFE create itself?
Was it created from nothing?
Or was it created by something?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:53 am
Eorl wrote:
Abid wrote:

Did you create yourself?

Then why is this Earth perfectly suitable for our daily lives? The day is seperated into equal portions, the ozone layer filters out UV rays, the greenhouse effect, bearable atmospheric pressure, etc. - is this all just mere chance to you? Why don't you see the same habitable conditions on other planets?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:59 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Abid wrote:

Did you create yourself?

Then why is this Earth perfectly suitable for our daily lives? The day is seperated into equal portions, the ozone layer filters out UV rays, the greenhouse effect, bearable atmospheric pressure, etc. - is this all just mere chance to you? Why don't you see the same habitable conditions on other planets?

Because life evolved to be adapted to this enviroment. On another planet with different conditions, evolution will bring forth forms adapted to that environment. This was answered over a century ago.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:58 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Abid wrote:

Did you create yourself?

Because life evolved to be adapted to this enviroment. On another planet with different conditions, evolution will bring forth forms adapted to that environment. This was answered over a century ago.

Ok genious, how did life originate?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:49 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Abid wrote:

Did you create yourself?

The calculations of British mathematician Roger Penrose show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is in 10^10^123. The phrase "extremely unlikely" is inadequate to describe this possibility.

Taking the physical variables into account, what is the likelihood of a universe giving us life coming into existence by coincidence? One in billions of billions? Or trillions of trillions of trillions? Or more?

Roger Penrose, a famous British mathematician and a close friend of Stephen Hawking, wondered about this question and tried to calculate the probability. Including what he considered to be all variables required for human beings to exist and live on a planet such as ours, he computed the probability of this environment occurring among all the possible results of the Big Bang.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 07:48 pm
Sir Roger Penrose was also a member of the British Humanist Association.

The British Humanist Association is an organisation of the United Kingdom which promotes Humanism. The BHA is committed to secularism, human rights, democracy, equality and mutual respect. It works for an open and inclusive society with freedom of belief and speech, and for an end to the privileged position of religion in law, education, broadcasting and wherever else it occurs.

I'd encourage you to read a lot more Penrose, Raul. My guess is you only read the bits that appear to support your religious propaganda?

BTW, did Sir Roger happen to give an estimate as to the chances of his calculation being incorrect?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:28 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Abid wrote:

Did you create yourself?

The calculations of British mathematician Roger Penrose show that the probability of universe conducive to life occurring by chance is in 10^10^123. The phrase "extremely unlikely" is inadequate to describe this possibility.

Taking the physical variables into account, what is the likelihood of a universe giving us life coming into existence by coincidence? One in billions of billions? Or trillions of trillions of trillions? Or more?

Roger Penrose, a famous British mathematician and a close friend of Stephen Hawking, wondered about this question and tried to calculate the probability. Including what he considered to be all variables required for human beings to exist and live on a planet such as ours, he computed the probability of this environment occurring among all the possible results of the Big Bang.

So you're willing to admit that there is a chance. If the odds were 10 Trillion to 1, and there are several Trillion stars/planets in the Universe, then isn't it possible that the planet/humans evolved the way human and planetary evolution currently say it did?

If the odds of winning the lottery are 150 million to 1, and I have a winning lottery ticket, should I doubt that the lottery ticket is a winner because it is unlikely?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:16 pm
Abid wrote:

Whatever answer you choose for "How did your god originate?" will work equally well for your question.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:12 am
mesquite wrote:
Abid wrote:

Whatever answer you choose for "How did your god originate?" will work equally well for your question.

So you are saying life has always been there?
0 Replies