Help! I've installed a clean phpbb2.05 bbs - add ons?

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 02:55 pm
Hi Craven!
Actually, I'm jumping the gun on this one, as about 1 minute ago, i wrote (in another thread) that i'm still backing up. but the install is inevitable - in about 14 hours i'll actually do it! (Have to run home to baby now, etc.) - anyway, i did download fetch-all and fetch-post - don't know what they do - but you had made a prior reference to fetch for the front page - as i recall, you said smartor's was easier, but fetch was a bit more robust or powerful - anyway, i also downloaded the incredible phpads - geez, the effort that went into it! i had been VERY happy with my ads mod by Neil Chr. (don't remember his exact name, but you know who he is) - the mod worked great, but this phpads - who hooo! i think it will wash my dishes, too!
So anyway, i didn't know if you had a generic set of files or mods you recommend to get someone running once they install their naked board - i know you've offered me custom help (again, thank you Smile but i think generic would potentially help more folks - plus, this way i can download everything and try to install it before i create the next thread, "Help! I've overwritten my old database, phpbb2.05 won't install, and my board is completely lost."
Now, that is one thread i want no part of Smile
Thanks again,
Gary
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,365 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 03:18 pm
Hmm, I don't know about a generic set. Each mod has an upside and a downside.

If I were you I'd start with the session ID mod I gave you.

I ahve a mod that I wrote (copy post to clipboard) that only alters template files.

When considering mods look at this:

Mods that alter just tpl files have less of a chance of screwing up your boards.

Mods that alter the php pages have a little more.

Mods that alter or add to the database can become problematic for upgrading etc..

It's easier if you just tell me mods that you are interested in and I'll tell you the upside or the downside.

Most of the modifications I make to phpbb code is my own and I have released almost none of them as mods (only because I didn't ahve time).

So it all depends, each mod has it's own value or danger. I can give you a heads up about most of them.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:23 am
HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!! Smile I did the vanilla install, went smoothly - thanks again for the tip about saving the config file - one less headache.
Now I've installed fetch - my (current) problem is that previously, there was that horrible redirect in index.html to forums/portal. i renamed index.html and i don't have an index.php - and it seems like the redirect is still somehow in place - obviously, i would like fetch to step up to the plate at gadgetaddict.com/ - so, err, helllllp! Smile
I suppose i need to put the portal file there, and potentially and index (whether .html or .php), so how about a lil' help ol' pal ol' buddy ol' chum? Smile
I still plan to install the spyder asap - maybe installing that will solve part of the problem? (the ataglance mo is a sort of fetch all, but googlized - i need it for gadget eyes Smile
As always, thank you! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:28 am
Rename fetch to index.php and make sure there are no other index files in the same directory.

If you have an index.htm or index.html they will be the directory index over the php files.

But maybe you put fetch in the forum/mods directory. If so let me know and I'll tell you what changes you need to make to place it one directory above the forums.

If all that doesn't work we have an hta situation so let me know. I doubt it's that but if so I'll help you out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:47 am
I had a look. There is a redirect to your forums directory.

What is in the directory above the forum directory?
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:14 pm
geez, i don't know what happened - i was hoping for a response all day, and when i just checked the thread there it was - it didn't let me know there was a response from able2know - hey, how was i to know? Smile
i left the redirect in there when i couldn't get things to work
i did put fetch's portal in the main subdirectory - i did not rename it though
strangely, even though i had removed (actually, renamed) index.html and index.php, the redirect still worked - don't know why that happened.
So, my next step is, i suppose:
1) copy portal.php to my main subdirectory
2) rename it to index.php
3) change the forum directory within and cross my fingers.

i was hoping to have fetch spill the guts from one of my forums (my front page news forum) - is there a simple way to do that? (simple for me, not for you i mean Smile
Thanks!
Gary
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:20 pm
okay - minor update - i did what you suggested, and i have portal.php in the main directory - and when i hit .com/portal.php fetch comes up. i had modified fetch in a lower directory so i can now tell which one is working - anyway, i am still being redirected for some reason to forums/portal.php
i checked with cpanel, and there are no powerweb redirects.

this is index.html (i know you said there were problems with it) - i did comment out the redirect, or at least i thought i did - here goes:

<html>
<head>
<TITLE>Gadget Addict! Home of Gizmo, the original Gadget Addict!</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="A gadgeteer's dream! Gadgets, gizmos and more - reviews, news, toys, hobbies, recreation games computers pdas - we review anything interesting! FREE">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="gadgetaddict, Gadget Addict, Gadgets, Gizmo, Gizmos, Gadgeteer, electronics, reviews, news, free, forums, community, recreation, friendly, electronic, pockt pc, palm, pda, pocktpc">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW">
<META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAYS">
<!-- META Tags Created by: ABS' META Tag Builder http://www.scrubtheweb.com/abs/ -->

</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<script language="javascript">
<!--
//document.location.href="forums/portal.php"
//-->
</script>
</body>
</html>

so i can't figure out why hitting ga.com doesn't just bring up the portal?
UPDATE - MAYBE IT was a cache thing or something, now my index.html basically brings up the title and that's it - how do i get portal.php renamed to index.php to kick in?
UPDATE TWO - okay - this is wierd, now index.php does kick in - can it be i needed to close the page and go back in, instead of just reloading? either way, now fetch all's simple demo comes up as a default (yippee)
so i guess:
1) help!!!! (what should i put in my index.html file so google won't barf?)
2) how can i expand one (or more?) of my forums to post the contents directly to fetch all - i can either:
a) keep the set up the way i have it now, where i post into one forum (for the front page) and then copy and paste into the appropriate category (double work, but it's the best game in town for me so far) or
b) potentially create say, 3 forums that can post to the front page, and have them show say the last 4 posts from each of those forums - i would much rather do b) but i don't know what is easily feasible.
I don't know a lot. ugh.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:40 pm
okay part 17 - i think the difference now is that i have index.html renamed (so it's not functioning) and index.php appears to be the only index in town - so it's working. can i go into index.php and add the metatags and other garbage i had in my index.html (without the redirect, of course)?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
I had a look. Fetch all is working but the CSS is not (because you are not using a default template.

You need to edit your fetch all page to point to a valid stylesheet.

I noticed netclectic was on your site and you were talking about teh spider page.

The thing is, I didn't see a link to the page on your site. You need to link it from as many pages as possible (put it in your footer or something).

As to the meta tags feel free to put them back but it won't help you with Google. Google ignores meta tags.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:14 pm
now i'm starting to finally understand a bit - i didn't realize what you meant about putting the spyder in the header or footer - so i'm going to insert code someplace (footer?) that has .com/forums/spyder_manage.php - right?

um, i have to disagree with you about google and those meta tags, or at least i think i do - it took a long time ,and google doesn't spider the site at all, but it did pull up the site description - or was that from a different part of the index.html file and not a meta tag?

google says:
Gadget Addict! Home of Gizmo, the original Gadget Addict!
A gadgeteer's dream! Gadgets, gizmos and more - reviews, news, toys, hobbies, recreation games computers pdas - we review anything interesting! FREE

then again - can it be that's what i typed into google when i said, "please sir, look at my site?"
this is from the index.html file:
<TITLE>Gadget Addict! Home of Gizmo, the original Gadget Addict!</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="A gadgeteer's dream! Gadgets, gizmos and more - reviews, news, toys, hobbies, recreation games computers pdas - we review anything interesting! FREE">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="gadgetaddict, Gadget Addict, Gadgets, Gizmo, Gizmos, Gadgeteer, electronics, reviews, news, free, forums, community, recreation, friendly, electronic, pockt pc, palm, pda, pocktpc">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX, FOLLOW">
<META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="1 DAYS">

so now i'm wondering if google did pull that up, or got it from my registering - for a long time, google had just said gadgetaddict.com (when it said anything at all) and then eventually it came up with the description, so i really think google does look at the tags - unless dmoz kicked in which i doubt....i'm soooo confused!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:19 pm
Hmm. I saw what you mean but since Google's cache is trying to redirect to the portal page and not finding it on their own server I can't verify why. Maybe they are using it only because that's the only bit of text that was in the html file.

But I know for a fact taht tehy dont use the meta tags directly. If ya still doubt me I'll link you to a few articles on it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:20 pm
And yes, you need to put a link to the spider page in teh header or footer. Do this by putting it in the overall_header.tpl or overall_footer.tpl file.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 07:08 am
thanks - will do - geez, what a freaky avatar! spoooky!
for the life of me, i can't remember your avatar before the hamster.
anyway, i'll put links to the spyder in teh header and footer files - if you see smoke coming, you'll know i did it wrong... Smile
UPDATE - i put the link in, and it actually works - i THINK this is what you meant - it basically says to click to see a site summary, and it is the link to forums/spyder_manage
maybe down the line i'll rename it something better, like "nakedgirl.php" but for right now, spyder works for me Smile
0 Replies