The Church: then and now

souldoctor73

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:57 pm
Is it because I *act* selfrighteous, or because I am perceived to be by what I write? I think it is the latter, basically. Even though I dismantled the christian lie with quoted examples from early church 'fathers'.

But I so say one thing, only one person thought to engauge me in discussion on the topic. I guess the winds of change didn't sit well. Smile But I can see how it appears.

I just wish some of you had something to say instead of just an ego to prove. Yes, this is old. But my recent posts reveal there to have been no change in approach. Lots of words, but not much substance.

Of course, this is jut my two cents. Apparently, all others have added their previously.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:08 am
God, yer a hoot . . .

What do you want? You make all of your screed immune by declaring in advance that any refutation is invalid. What is there to discuss? Are we all to fall to our knees, louding proclaiming our gratitude to you for the enlightenment? Or do you actually expect to contact a loonie of similar calibre and opposite views to get in a theological slug-fest with you?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
One other thing, Doc -- when someone does raise an objection on point -- you disregard it and then crab that nobody wants to stay on point.

Why don't you stop the preaching/Messiah nonsense -- post a legible, reasonable length issue -- and debate the goddam thing rather than pretending others are out to get you.

In other words -- what in the hell do you want to discuss?

Nobody here is trying to avoid you -- frankly, you wouldn't scare off a reasonably competent fifth grader.

What do you want to discuss????
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:11 pm
Quote:

Please tell me????
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 01:16 pm
Oh here's some more from your site:

Quote:
To participate effectively in the Church's life, one needs a guiding vision. Such a vision, I submit, should suggest a rationale for the Church's existence; it should tally with one's experience of association with fellow believers; it should indicate a set of values and priorities; and it should clarify the proper relationship between the Church and the contemporary world. One's vision of the Church, therefore, should be neither so exalted as to be out of touch with daily experience nor yet so empirical as to contain no mandate for action.

The essential reality of the Church is indeed a matter of revealed truth, for only through faith in God's word do we understand the Church as expression and mediation of God's gift in Christ. We must continually go back to scripture and to the ancient tradition in order to test and correct our vision of the Church. But the Church is a dynamic reality; it changes its manner of being and acting from place to place and from age to age. It must be responsive to the demands of the times, for it has to signify and mediate God's grace to different groups of people, in accordance with their particular gifts, needs, and capacities. To think correctly about the Church we must therefore pay close attention to the actual situation, and adapt our vision accordingly.

In the light of this statement, and the ideas presented in these links, you are challenged to formulate a coherent and meaningful vision of Church; Take account of scripture, tradition, past events of Church life, and present experiences, in expressing your personal and communal understanding of what it is to be Church today.
0 Replies

souldoctor73

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 05:00 pm
Did you guys read my letter to BET in Music? I'm moving forward beyond petty squabbles over ways and means, as these posts of mine have only generated.

So it doesn't really matter to me what you think of my writing style or subject matter. But if you agree with the content, them email BET. Nothing wrong with putting our heads together for a common cause, even if we've bumped them a few times before.
0 Replies