The Ten Reasonable Guidlines

aperson

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:22 am
More likely, real liff, that he never got round to making a second post. Snide marks don't acheive anything.

Let's agree to disagree.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:46 pm
Sorry folks, I didn't explain myself very well. Yes, I was formerly thunderrunner32 (it's been a while, and I got sad w/out a2k). If I had to pick a belief, I would say agnostic/it doesn't even matter if we know. One point I was trying to drive was not really a point so much as it was to provoke thought. I came across this atheist web site randomly (Stumbling), and I thought I would share.

In response to the posts: I don't believe that atheists have any responsibility (ultimately), again, I didn't make myself clear. I was just trying to show that a civilized people don't need to establish any kind of enforcer (God) to get along in the best way possible.

I apoligize again, I didn't make myself clear and I didn't respond in a timely fashion.
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:52 pm
Another thing, the topic subect was: the ten reasonable guidelines. I would push these only as good advice, rather than some enforced law, backed only by our civility to each other. I realize in the grand scheme of things, we can do whatever the hell we want, but I don't believe hedonism has any practical merit, in regards to human advancement.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 11:17 pm
Thunder I find your guidelines reasonable, except for that of not worshipping stuff. Since I do not believe in an afterlife, I worship in a sense THIS life. In contrast to Raul-7's other-worldly religion, I practice a THIS-WORLDLY kind of religiousity, sans gods, absolute truths and values, afterlifes, etc. Only my eternal now.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:18 am
thunder32 wrote:
Sorry folks, I didn't explain myself very well. Yes, I was formerly thunderrunner32 (it's been a while, and I got sad w/out a2k). If I had to pick a belief, I would say agnostic/it doesn't even matter if we know. One point I was trying to drive was not really a point so much as it was to provoke thought. I came across this atheist web site randomly (Stumbling), and I thought I would share.

In response to the posts: I don't believe that atheists have any responsibility (ultimately), again, I didn't make myself clear. I was just trying to show that a civilized people don't need to establish any kind of enforcer (God) to get along in the best way possible.

I apoligize again, I didn't make myself clear and I didn't respond in a timely fashion.

Great to see you back Thunder! That website does actually seem to be, what I would call, "a bit of a pisstake".

Here's one that may prove useful in the way you may have been hoping:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/humanism.htm

or even this one:

http://www.positiveatheism.org/tocfaq.htm
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:25 am
I suppose you (thunder32) forgot your password? I'm sorry, I've never heard of you; obviously you stopped posting before I joined. Maybe you should contact the admin to email you the password for your original account; it'll stop people treating you like a "just hatched" member.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:48 am
Eorl, please pm me your email adress - I can't pm.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:59 pm
Welcome back, runner!
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:17 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Thunder I find your guidelines reasonable, except for that of not worshipping stuff. Since I do not believe in an afterlife, I worship in a sense THIS life. In contrast to Raul-7's other-worldly religion, I practice a THIS-WORLDLY kind of religiousity, sans gods, absolute truths and values, afterlifes, etc. Only my eternal now.

I think that is perfectly acceptable. Maybe if more people would see the value in this life, they would treat theirs and other's with more respect.

Thanks Eorl, I don't know if I would consider myself purely humanist, but I am leaning that way. Both, very good sites, thanks!

aperson, it's okay, I like a clean start every once in a while. I'll just have to be more active so I'm not "just hatched"! :wink: Thanks though

Nice to see you real life!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:49 pm
And I am struck once again by the unutterable beauty, terror, and strangeness of everything we think we know.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:36 pm
thunder32 wrote:

Thanks Eorl, I don't know if I would consider myself purely humanist, but I am leaning that way. Both, very good sites, thanks!

Yeah, me either !

I certainly don't agree with everything in either site, but there is certainly much to be learned.-
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:29 am
dyslexia wrote:
And I am struck once again by the unutterable beauty, terror, and strangeness of everything we think we know.

Why do you say this dyslexia?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:20 pm
thunder32 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Why do you say this dyslexia?

What a question. Rolling Eyes

Dinja just hear the man say it was unutterable?

C'mon runner. Stay with it. Laughing
0 Replies

thunder32

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:21 pm
Wow....I am quick.... Confused
0 Replies