The Ten Reasonable Guidlines

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:59 am
As an atheist you have a number of rights and responsibilities. These include (but are not limited to):

1. Have no gods.
2. Don't worship stuff.
3. Be polite.
4. Take a day off once in a while.
5. Be nice to folks.
6. Don't kill people.
7. Don't fool around on your significant other.
8. Don't steal stuff.
9. Don't lie about stuff.
10. Don't be greedy.

Remember, theists may condemn you for living by this code because you are doing it of your own free will instead of because you're afraid that if you don't a supreme being will set you on fire.
Here is the site I got this from.

I think that fundamentalists are morons...your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,571 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:10 am
Don't worry, I won't condemn you but have fun enjoying this fleeting existence - be sure you will not have a share of anything in the eternal Hereafter though.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:10 am
Re: The Ten Reasonable Guidlines
thunder32 wrote:
As an atheist you have a number of rights and responsibilities. These include (but are not limited to):

1. Have no gods.
2. Don't worship stuff.
3. Be polite.
4. Take a day off once in a while.
5. Be nice to folks.
6. Don't kill people.
7. Don't fool around on your significant other.
8. Don't steal stuff.
9. Don't lie about stuff.
10. Don't be greedy.

Remember, theists may condemn you for living by this code because you are doing it of your own free will instead of because you're afraid that if you don't a supreme being will set you on fire.
Here is the site I got this from.

I think that fundamentalists are morons...your thoughts?

Who says that atheists must be responsible to uphold these rules?

By what authority do you tell anyone 'this is your responsibility'?

What other rules are you hiding up your sleeve in the phrase 'but are not limited to'?

Sounds like you're a closet theist, making yourself God and laying down the law.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:41 am
I think the point is that you don't need an authority to practice kindness to your fellow man. The person calling for good fellowship on the mountain doesn' not nessisarily want to be concidered God.

It's the people at the bottom of the mountain listening, unwilling to climb and discover for themselves that look for a hihger power; a authority to mandate some sort of "commandment."

Free will.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:31 pm
So when he says 'this is your responsibility', followed by imperatives..........

........does language mean nothing?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 01:23 am
I'm with real life on this one.

Atheists can do whatever the hell they want, and live with the consequences, good or bad.

So can theists.

Who is making up these rules? By whose authority? How is this in any way different to a muslim telling me I must live by his rules?

Welcome to A2K thunder32. Smile No relation to thunder-runner?

(Oh, ok then...I do like the T-shirts)
My favourite is the WWJCD - What would a Judgemental Christian Do?)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 01:46 pm
Re: The Ten Reasonable Guidlines
thunder32 wrote:

I took this to be the real point of the post. He might just simply be excited. I don't know if you need ten rules versus 9 or 11 etc.

The list of Ten included some rules that by no stretch of the imagination are copy and pasted from the ten commandments, but the idea I take from this is that he was trying to say that you dont have to be a Christian to practice these ideas.

I don't think that there's any point into reading into the idea of as an atheist you are bound to these rules etc.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 06:42 pm
hmm
can I do those things and not be an atheist? I don't wanna be an atheist. But I don't want to kill anyone either.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:44 pm
real life,
This guy's point is that you do not have to be a theist to be a decent person. He's talking about himself making your own decisions and sculpting your own laws. It's all how you interperet his post. Maybe a person should ask thunder32 what he means.

WHADAYA MEAN MR THUNDER?

Done.

It amuses me greatly, real liff [sic], that you say he is closer to a theist. This points out to me that you stereotype atheists as unethical and not having "laws" of there own. NEWS FLASH: You do not have to be a Christian to be a decent person. Also visa-versa.

Deist Technical Knockout,
I think you've got the idea in the first paragraph of your first post. Don't know about the second though.

Oh, by the way, please do not use the words "Free will" when refering to "choice". They are different things (this is arguable, and indeed it is being argued, but for now think of them as separate things).

Welcome to A2K thunder32.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 12:18 am
Then why not be a decent percent and believe in God? It should only make you a better person if you have true Faith that you will return to your Creator and you will be recompensed for what you did.

But the actions of those who do not believe are like a mirage in the desert. A thirsty man thinks it is water but when he reaches it, he finds it to be nothing at all, but he finds Allah there. He will pay him his account in full. Allah is swift at reckoning. (Surat an-Nur, 39)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 09:38 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Then why not be a decent percent and believe in God? It should only make you a better person if you have true Faith that you will return to your Creator and you will be recompensed for what you did.

But the actions of those who do not believe are like a mirage in the desert. A thirsty man thinks it is water but when he reaches it, he finds it to be nothing at all, but he finds Allah there. He will pay him his account in full. Allah is swift at reckoning. (Surat an-Nur, 39)

hmmm.....

Isn't being "good" in efforts to win favor of a God the real mirage? If you are doing good things to have salvation, then you aren't doing them for anyone else, it's just a pragmatic exercise that you do for yourself.

Why would someone chosing (aperson :wink: ) to be a good person be a mirage? Why is it less "good" to be kind to others and expect nothing in return?

Ideas like salvation when applied to the metaphysical world, must come from one's self. To people that are "good" who do many great things, what makes you say that they don't feel salvation?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 09:46 am
aperson wrote:
He's talking about himself making your own decisions and sculpting your own laws.

That's right. You've got it. He's talking about HIMself making decisions for YOU.

I find it amusing that so-called atheists cannot resist making laws for others to live by.

Even when they insist, (as CI often does for instance), that they NEVER apply their own personal standard of morality to anyone but themselves..........

..........in the next breath they are telling you how WRONG you are, and what a BAD person you are, if you don't see it and live it THEIR WAY.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:13 pm
[Large and prolonged sigh]

Raul,
I do not believe in God because I do not wish to belive in God; because it's unnecessary. One only believes that one will be judged for their sins blada blada if the believe in God.

Real life,
You tire me with your persistence. Oh wait, sorry I didn't word that bit you quoted properly. What I am trying to say is:
He's talking about YOU making YOUR own decisions and sculpting YOUR own laws.
He is not imposing this particular set of "guidelines" on people, but merely using it as an example.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:17 pm
I find your words rich, real liff, since it is commonly Christians, not atheists, who impose their own beliefs upon others. Have you not noticed all the properganderous bull that is advertised? "Repent now, to save yourself from an eternity in hell!"
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:45 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

hmmm.....

Isn't being "good" in efforts to win favor of a God the real mirage? If you are doing good things to have salvation, then you aren't doing them for anyone else, it's just a pragmatic exercise that you do for yourself.

Why would someone chosing (aperson :wink: ) to be a good person be a mirage? Why is it less "good" to be kind to others and expect nothing in return?

Ideas like salvation when applied to the metaphysical world, must come from one's self. To people that are "good" who do many great things, what makes you say that they don't feel salvation?

Why choose the life of this World when the Hereafter is better and longer-lasting?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:56 pm
Because (unlike you, it seems) I do not know that there is a "Hereafter". Besides, why should God punish perfectly decent people who have grown up in a society were Christianity is unheard of? If he does, then this tells me that God is either unfair ir non-existent. If he doesn't, then I can keep on living my atheistic life and still go to heaven.

So, oh Raul, who KNOWS that there is a "Hereafter", does God punish decent people who live in societies where no one is a Christian?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 07:39 pm
Earth to Raul!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:49 pm
aperson wrote:
[Large and prolonged sigh]

Real life,
You tire me with your persistence. Oh wait, sorry I didn't word that bit you quoted properly. What I am trying to say is:
He's talking about YOU making YOUR own decisions and sculpting YOUR own laws.
He is not imposing this particular set of "guidelines" on people, but merely using it as an example.

Really?

If he's talking about YOU making your own laws, how come he listed them for you, and said 'this is your responsibility'?

You may WISH that he meant for YOU to make your own laws, but if you read the post , you cannot reach that conclusion unless words and language mean absolutely nothing.

Is morality based on absolutes, aperson?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:55 pm
Well, it appears that we shall never know what he means, since he doesn't seem to want to reply...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:21 pm
I'm not surprised that he might not want to defend his post. There really is no defense of it.

For an atheist claiming that there are no moral absolutes to lay down moral laws for others is really indefensible.

The self contradictory nature of it would be just embarrassing.
0 Replies