Peter Boyle

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:13 pm
(CBS/AP) Peter Boyle, the tall, prematurely bald actor who was the tap-dancing monster in "Young Frankenstein" and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running CBS sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond," has died. He was 71.

The veteran character actor died Tuesday evening in New York after a long battle with multiple myeloma and heart disease, his publicist, Jennifer Plante, told The ShowBuzz Wednesday.

A Christian Brothers monk who turned to acting, Boyle gained notice playing an angry working man in the Vietnam-era hit "Joe." But he overcame typecasting when he took on the role of the hulking, lab-created monster in Mel Brooks' 1974 send-up of horror films.

Peter Boyle played Frank Barone on "Everybody Loves Raymond" for 10 years. (CBS)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert Redford's campaign manager in "The Candidate," and "Young Frankenstein."

He went on to appear in dozens of films and to star in "Joe Bash," an acclaimed but short-lived 1986 "dramedy" in which he played a lonely beat cop. He won an Emmy in 1996 for his guest-starring role in an episode of "The X Files," and for the 1977 TV film "Tail Gunner Joe," in which he played Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

In the 1976 film "Taxi Driver," he was the cabbie-philosopher Wizard, who counseled Robert De Niro's violent Travis Bickle.

Other notable films included "T.R. Baskin," "F.I.S.T.," "Johnny Dangerously," "Conspiracy: Trial of the Chicago 8" (as activist David Dellinger), "The Dream Team," "The Santa Claus," "The Santa Claus 2," "While You Were Sleeping" (in a charming turn as Sandra Bullock's future father-in-law) and "Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:14 pm
Everybody loves Peter Boyle
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:16 pm
The Friends of Eddy Coyle, with Robert Mitchum.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:18 pm
He was such an amusing guy.He will be missed.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:22 pm
Is there a better experience than watching an actor be someone he's not and catching a transparent glimpse occasionally of the actor saying to himself "This is so much fun."?

Boyle was so much fun to watch.

Joe(Holy crap!)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:37 pm
Trivia
In 1976, when he hosted Saturday Night Live, Boyle had the opportunity to demonstrate his singing voice on screen.
Boyle's vocal talent was also demonstrated during a karaoke scene in Everybody Loves Raymond.
Boyle was friends with John Lennon, who was the best man at Boyle's 1977 wedding to Lorraine Alterman, with whom he had two daughters, Lucy and Amy. Boyle met Lennon through his wife, a reporter for Rolling Stone who was friends with Yoko Ono.[2]
Boyle had a role in all three of The Santa Clause films. In The Santa Clause, he plays Scott Calvin's boss. In The Santa Clause 2 and The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause, he plays Father Time.
He also appeared in Roger Waters' unreleased "Three Wishes" music video in 1993.
Boyle made guest appearances on two episodes of the Comedy Central program Mind of Mencia, in which he read hate mail, explained the "hidden meanings" behind bumper stickers, and, on occasion, told star Carlos Mencia how he felt about him.
Starting in late 2005, Boyle and former TV wife Doris Roberts appeared in several TV ads for the 75th anniversary of Alka-Seltzer, reprising the famous line, "I can't believe I ate that whole thing!"
Boyle met his wife, Loraine Alterman, on the set of Young Frankenstein while she was there as a reporter for Rolling Stone. He was still in his Frankenstein makeup when he asked her for a date. [3]
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:44 pm
I really wonder what the deal was with the multiple myeloma. I know the guys who run the multiple myeloma unit at New York Presbyterian Hospital. They are top notch. I think that if they couldn't cure him, nobody could. That's sad.
0 Replies

DynamiteCupcake

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 04:34 am
I heard about it and it's just so sad. May he rest in peace. Crying or Very sad

He will never be forgotten.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:04 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JoeNagle/Boyle.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:42 pm
<sigh>
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:49 pm
Oh forget it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 06:53 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Is there a better experience than watching an actor be someone he's not and catching a transparent glimpse occasionally of the actor saying to himself "This is so much fun."?

Boyle was so much fun to watch.

Joe(Holy crap!)Nation

Exactly!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:45 pm
i wonder if Equusknows...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:39 pm
I rented young Frankenstein in his honor. <Puttin' on the Ritz>
0 Replies