Best Free Website Creator/Host

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
I need lots of space for pictures. Prefereably one that doesn't limit the amount of traffic I can have in one day (I think geocities is like that or yahoo)

Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,493 • Replies: 41
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 09:39 am
sitekreator is great.

Vivien told me about it.

She uses it, I use it, soz uses it, shewolf uses it. Except for soz all of our sites are photo intense. It is very easy to use too!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 10:11 am
I ADORE SiteKreator.

I mean ADORE them.

I had an exchange with their support staff that had me walking on air for like a week.

[size=7]Free upgrade, baby![/size]

So they've gained a very loyal customer.

We have a lot of pictures too btw, it didn't at the beginning but I've been adding more and more.

And speaking of adoration, SOMEBODY gave me 100mb of storage space, which made the many pictures I'm adding possible.

Nice people, they're the best. :-D
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 10:49 am
And how did you get this extra picture space?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:09 am
A very sweet A2K'er -- I think it was a one-time thing. (The person had extra and gave it to me, doubt there's more extra.)

There is a LOT of space with the regular free version though (Personal Edition). I think you'll probably be fine.

The free upgrade (Personal Edition to Business Edition [starting at $15/ month]) was due to an exchange with their truly superlative support staff. I had a problem that wasn't fixable in the Personal Edition, they solved it for me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:40 am
I gave soz the space, Bella. I still have some left to give away too. If you want it, PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

I got some more free space a while back and haven't even signed up for it yet just because I haven't needed it. The site really holds a lot even in it's most basic form.

I'll have to get over and re-check your site, soz!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:22 pm
Can you password protect a free site? I want to set up a pregnancy site for my family but am not sure I want the world looking at my belly. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:24 pm
You can!

I can show you how if you decide to go with it, but yes you can. You can do specific pages, too -- like have the homepage accessible but the belly-pics password protected.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:33 pm
Oh joy!

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:55 pm
Have I mentioned I love SiteKreator?

'Cause I really, really do.

I'm amazed that everything I think of -- hey, it would be cool if they had a feature where you could ____ -- they seem to have, and almost all of it free. (The thing I wanted to do with the free version and couldn't was really weird and specialized.)

AND... they have a thing where visitors to your site can order prints from them, too. So you post your pics, password-protect it, and then if grandparents or whomever want to order some of them, they can.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:57 pm
sozobe wrote:
Have I mentioned I love SiteKreator?

'Cause I really, really do.

I'm amazed that everything I think of -- hey, it would be cool if they had a feature where you could ____ -- they seem to have, and almost all of it free. (The thing I wanted to do with the free version and couldn't was really weird and specialized.)

AND... they have a thing where visitors to your site can order prints from them, too. So you post your pics, password-protect it, and then if grandparents or whomever want to order some of them, they can.

WOW! That is sweet!
I am adding some text right now. I am not so great at this whole thing. How do I add that password?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:09 pm
OK, scroll over the "P" in the upper right corner. Select "Page Properties." Then click on "show options" after "access control." Then you can set the password (for that page).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:10 pm
If I want a password for the whole site, what do I do?

Also, does it automatically save?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 01:13 pm
You have to publish for it to be permanent/ viewable. Although even if you don't publish it seems to stick around for a long time (I made some changes to my site that I decided not to keep but through several loggings in and out the changes are still there even though not published -- I guess I have to just change 'em back.)

For making the whole site password protected, do exactly the same as what I said before except select "site properties" instead of "page properties" (the access control thing will show up there, too).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 02:34 pm
Soz you are the master...

Now, how do I make it so I can post in a journal but no one else can?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:35 pm
I haven't actually done that one. Probably first what you do is enable advanced elements (hover mouse over "P", select "advanced elements", check the forums/ blog box, click "update"), then add a blog to the page you want it on -- when you edit the blog you should be able to set access control there, too.

If that works, great, if not let me know and I'll noodle a bit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:40 pm
I tried that but it appears that people can still add an entry. Weird.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:45 pm
Hmmm.

Ya know what, that's probably what makes it a blog. If you don't want anyone to be able to respond/ comment, maybe just make it regular text? I mean you can title it "Blog" or whatever, and then just keep updating it. You can add pictures and everything.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:49 pm
OK, I just noodled... it does have "access permissions" and then you can select "disallow" for "add postings" and "add comments," with a choice of anonymous or registered. So for example you can disallow all anonymous stuff and then allow just comments for registered users.

How are you testing whether other people can add an entry?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:51 pm
I am going in as a regular person.
0 Replies