Java Help!

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 05:02 pm
Hi Everyone,

I need some help with Java.

I'm not able to view Java applets. I've downloaded the most recent version of JVM. I have version 1.4.1. I've tried changing some settings (like enabling Java in my internet options) but nothing has worked. I've been to Java websites, and tried everything it says to do in the troubleshooting section, but it still doesn't work. I'm pretty much just wanting to play some games, and all I see on the screen is a rectangle with small shapes in the top left corner. Please help me!! I appreciate it so much.

-Beth
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,158 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Which browser and version are you using? What version of Windows are you using? Which game site are you trying to access? I'll take a look at it and see if I can find anything helpful for you.
0 Replies

daddysgirl307

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 07:09 pm
Hi Butrflynet, Thanks for your reply. Sorry that I didn't think of including my type of browser, and such. I'm using IE 5, and Windows 98. I've tried playing games at Uproar, Yahoo Chat, and viewing a few other misc things. Thank you so much for your help. I hope I've given you enough information. If not, just let me know.

Thanks again!

-Beth
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 08:51 pm
Hi Beth, welcome to A2K.

Did you know there is an upgrade for the IE browser? They're running 6.0 now. A visit to the Windows Update site will fix you right up and resolve most of the javascript problems.

If you choose not to do that, then there are a few things you need to check to enable version 5.0 to view the applets.

Step #1 .. Launch Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Step#2 .. Look up at the top toolbar, click on 'view', then click on 'internet options'. When the new window pops up, click on the 'advanced' tab. Scroll down in the new window until you see "Java VM" (or Microsoft VM), CHECK all boxes in that category!! After you have checked all the boxes, you will have to re-start your computer. When it is up and going, you should have the ability to view any and all java applets on the Web!!

Click on this page to see if you can now view the Lake effect java applets. http://anniereb.com/rebel.html

If so, problem solved. If not, then there are more tweaks you need to do. This list on Annie's page has links to the sources you'll need. http://anniereb.com/tips/tips4.html

Upgrading your browser to version 6.0 will take care of most of that for you. It is packaged with most of those utilities. Windows Update is here http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
0 Replies

daddysgirl307

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 08:39 am
Hello again,

I tried upgrading to IE 6, but when I click on the link to download the file, the only thing that comes up is a broken piece of film...???

I really appreciate your help!

-Beth
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:02 am
Download IE 6 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/Top10.asp
0 Replies

inkedmn

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 04:22 pm
i'd just unistall the JVM entirely and then go to a java-enabled site. chances are (if the person who wrote the applet's html enabled this), it will prompt you to download the appropriate JVM.
0 Replies