Visualising Sophism

Spooke

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 01:23 pm
Hey everybody.... this is going to be a strange one...

I am taking part in a creative competition when you are given a topic and have to create an image, moving image or some other visual statement on that theme...

it's called The Weakest Link and it works like the TV programme where everyone puts thier work in and then you vote for the weakest...

anyway it's on a creative forum and this week the topic is Sophism....

Now I have researched the topic and whilst there are many things you can do on modern Sophism I am interested in the original meaning of the word... I like the idea of the teachers... and the fact that sophists were paid vast sums to come up with constitutions for cities....

so my questions to you is what visual keys could I use and what does everyone think about the way that PLato almost single handedly put the entire movement into decline... what visual keys could I use to represent this????

Smile

Cheers in advance.

Ed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:24 pm
Spooke- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I'd love to help you, but unfortunately, philosophy was not my strongest subject!
0 Replies

Spooke

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
ha ha... isn't this a philosophy board?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
This is one part of a larger board -- click here to get an overview:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/search.php?search_id=newposts

Visual keys... huh. Thinking. I'm trying to figure out a way that you could indicate that Plato made them out to be whores. I'm not sure what sort of medium you use or how serious you want to be. Something that comes to mind for me is the whole stereotype of the teacher with the bun and buttoned-up shirt and glasses, who then takes off her glasses, lets her hair down with a flourish, and unbuttons her blouse.

Could also go more literal, soph ---> wisdom ---> owl, that sort of thing.

Let me know more of what general piece you would like to make, and I'll think about it more.

Interesting question, and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 02:58 pm
The philosophers seem to trawl at night.
A heady bunch.

Your thread should pick up.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:38 am
The sophism movement were a bunch of practical "philosophers", they said that the moral is established by society & you are not born with a reason to create morality, they said that the society imposed you one. Most simple greeks could understand their philosophy because it wasn0t too complicated, but as you know truth's complicated, & a practical philosopher is not a real one.

Hope I was of some help, btw the word it does means wisdom, It's ,just like the Hagia Sofia, in Constantinople, whih means sacred wisdom.

PS.- Sofia is a lovely name, dunno why i found it so cute, greeting to all the girls who's name are sofia.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:49 am
Greetings, Handsome. :wink:
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:27 am
Something that inclines people to think past the normal structure.

A greek wall being pumbled by some beacon of truth. Maybe a tower, with a winded light evolving into some form of a face, breaking through the Greek wall. The Sky parting and peasants looking up to envision the new truth in front of them.

Or a small poodle eating a styrofoam pastry boy.

I like the second one.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:19 pm
How about a nice tall glass of Hemlock?

Seems like a bit of a sophism to me!
0 Replies