I think this is probably an easy Photoshop question....

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 04:16 pm
but I can't figure out what is going on.

I've done this a thousand times and I've never had this problem before.

When I go into image size I put in 2.25 x 2.25 at 250 dpi.

I click okay.

Now I go to canvas size to make a boarder - the image reads as 2.252 x 2.252.

Why is the program changing my image size?

I know it is a teeny tiny little change but it is driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,391 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 04:23 pm
bm, as I'm just about to get Photoshop for Chrissy!!

(I may learn something beforehand, you never know)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:11 pm
You might not learn much on this thread, it appears, Lord Ellpus.

On the whole I'm fairly competent with the program but this little glitch has me baffled. I've tried everything I can think of.

I'm working on a collage that has nine photos and I want them to be identical in size. I doubt this tiny difference would be noticable but it is just making me crazy that the program keeps over-riding my selections.

Photoshop is a fantastic program. I'm sure she'll love having it. If you have questions about it, I may be able to answer them. Just let me know!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:33 pm
Crop first. THEN reset the image size....

this is so wierd though.. I was about to ask YOU a question about photoshop.. HA
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:34 pm
It has been about 7 years since I last used Photoshop at work, so may not recall accurately. Now use PaintShop and they have some similar functions.

I recall there being a default setting where you can have a snap-to for a specific grid measurement for canvas size.

I may be getting that confused with Visio. It has been awhile.

Might also check to be sure a hidden/invisible frame or dot wasn't added to the outer margin in error. That could be making the canvas larger.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:36 pm
I don't use any of those, too dumb to live, y'know, but I'm wondering, does it actually change size incrementally, or is the 0 or the 2 at the end a kind of code/
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:39 pm
Boomer,

I'm looking here to see if there is an answer.

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

In the meantime, one thing you might try is create a duplicate of one of the images that is the correct size, then erase the content and paste in the content from the oversized canvas. See if the image size changes with the resized canvas size. That should tell you whether there is a hidden element in the outer margin.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:44 pm
Boomer, you're a dingbat!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:56 pm
booK•~•Mark
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:07 pm
I'm not a dingbat!

And you're going to find yourself disinvited and your wife will still be invited and I know you're planning a trip up here so you just behave yourself!

I do crop first and then resize.

There aren't any little extras hiding out in the frame.

I have done this function a thousand times and I cannot figure out what is different.

If I change my dimensions it changes my dpi so when I paste the image into the grid is doesn't quite fit. If I change the dpi it changes my dimensions so again, the image doesn't quite fit on the grid.

It is really weird that I just can't say I want the image at this size and this resolution.

I think I've worked out a long way around it by setting the image at 2.5 then setting the canvas at 2.6, then resetting the image size at 2.5.

I'm not even sure why this seems to be working. I'm going to try to finish up the picture then I'll post it and see if anyone can tell which are the latest images added since the glitch started.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:16 pm
Have you tried rebooting and restarting the Photoshop software and your images?

Something may have gone whonky in the loading process that is making this session different from previous efforts.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:35 am
hmm

that is odd.

I have only had something like that happen to me once. But that is when I learned to crop the canvas first BEFORE editing the picture.
I was doing it the other way around and nothing would fit. It would resize itself.. blah blah..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:46 am
250*2.25= 562.5

You can't use .5 of a pixel.

563/250= 2.252
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:53 am
I don't get it Parados - you're formula, I mean.

I've long been able to make a 2 1/4 inch image at 250 dpi but for some reason now I can't.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:04 am
I don't know how you did it.

You might have not paid close attention to the actual size in the past.
Computers can't use fractions of pixels.

I just fired up my copy of photoshop and got the same thing as my math 563 pixels and 2.252.

You can do 2.5" easily because that is a full pixel at 250 dpi

Try any size that doesn't mathematically come out to a whole number and photshop should size up to the next pixel.
A 2.5" picture at 133 dpi gives me 2.504 in actual size.

If you are using a grid then make all the grid lines and line everything up with the top right corner. That will get all the pictures lined up perfectly and no one will see that that some pictures are .002 larger than others. .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:54 am
I trust your math. I don't know how I did it before. Something must have been different in the way I was setting up the image but for the life of me I can't figure out what it was. I do several of these collages every year and......

..... I don't know.

Anyway.....

I guess the image adding gizmo is not working for me because it won't paste in the photo (or it won't preview it in my post). Once that get's squared away I'll post the image to see if anyone can tell.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 08:37 am
A clue! A clue!

I thought I was losing my mind.

I knew I'd done it in the past. I was sure of it. And it turns out -- I had done it in the past and it had worked.

This morning I pulled up some of the old images and some of the ones that weren't working and started comparing things.

On the ones that did work - the resolution was not linked with the height and width.

Somehow I had checked the "resample" box and it linked the resolution to height and width.

Uncheck the box and everything is back to normal! I can specify the size without having an effect on the dpi. Hurrah!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 03:08 am
Quote:
When I go into image size I put in 2.25 x 2.25 at 250 dpi.

I click okay.

Now I go to canvas size to make a boarder - the image reads as 2.252 x 2.252.

Let's say it in words. You want an image two-and-a-quarter inches square, at two hundred and fifty dots per inch. Well, it won't go! Two and a quarter times 250 is 562.5, or five hundred and sixty-two and a half.

Well, the software app is smarter than you are, because it knows you can't have half a pixel. So it rounds it up to the next whole pixel making the image 563 x 563 pixels, or 2.252 inches square at 250 dpi.

By the way it's 'border'. A boarder is someone who pays your mom rent for a room and meals.
0 Replies