A2K versus 'Real-life' Personality

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:37 pm
In "real" life, I'm a mixed bag of personalities. I listen more than I talk in person.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:38 pm
Well, I won't use the term "real life", as I feel what I do here an extension of my life.

In my life away from the internet, I'm quite anti-social and don't tend to converse much with others. I'm quite private, quiet, reserved, and keep to home a lot.

That's not to say that if someone talks to me I'll ignore them, but I'm not big in small talk. Not even much with family, other than my wife and kids.

I keep myself occupied and don't have friends that I visit. I probably spend too much time on the internet, but I like it. Other than that, I have no "vices".

I enjoy participating here, but limit where I go and what I do.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:56 pm
sozobe wrote:
Pretty similar in general. Early on, when my husband didn't really get this whole thing, he read something that someone said about me and exclaimed "wow, they really KNOW you."

The difference (and part of why I like posting here) is that in some situations with hearing people I have to be way more passive than my "real" personality. Basically, if I'm in a group of hearing people who don't know me very well I have to just kind of nod and smile until I get into the swing of things. If I stop them every other word, there is no flow and I will never be able to figure out their speech patterns (plus it's just a little irritating Shocked). If I sit there stony-faced and not responding at all, I freak them out and they stop turning towards me while speaking. So I have to do this thing where I smile when a joke seems to have been made and furrow my brow when something worrisome seems to have been said and cup my chin and nod thoughtfully when something profound seems to have been said, without participating because I don't yet have a grasp of what is actually being said. Absolutely hate that, though it's a necessary evil, especially as we've moved so much and I have to keep meeting new people (and I don't actually want to keep my social contacts to people who are fluent in ASL).

But sometimes after one of those, when I never really was able to grab onto the conversational thread and I think the impression I made was of an agreeable but slightly dim little wifey, it's really nice to come on here and have fun being way more, well, me.

That was well said, soz. You painted a nice little picture there.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 06:48 pm
Francis, I don't even try to hide it from Dys--he knows that you are capable of turning this 63 year old heart of mine into a quivering puddle of adoration.

Obviously, _heatwave_, Francis is even better in person! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 06:56 pm
Strangely enough, I am like Slappy in that I too have a rather twisted sense of humor. I am rather assertive, although I don't agree with my husband that I would knock down old ladies if they were in my way. Maybe I would give a little shove, though! Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:50 pm
Same here as I am in the living world. Worry too much about things, I guess. Love to listen to people of other cultures because I never met many. I tend to engage folks in conversation that seem shut out. I am most definitely outgoing and I think that comes from being in the music business for so long, but generally I end up talking one on one because I don't like crowd chat.

Interesting thread, heatwave.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:03 pm
IRL I'm annoyingly polite ... to everyone. And I tend to avoid conflict, as much as possible. I try to refrain from political discussions, particularly if it might result in an argument.

A2K allows me to explore my dark side. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:17 pm
I get away with a lot more in person.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:22 pm
I'm more "me" here than in real life. Here I don't have to be diplomatic, or worry about how someone is going to take what I say or if it means we're gonna get into a big debate over what I really meant and was that suppose to mean something deeper, blah blah blah.

So what you see here is what you get. This is me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 08:27 am
Diane wrote:
Soz, I so agree with you. I am getting fairly hard of hearing and find that it is sometimes easier to appear to hear rather than always ask for the speaker to repeat what was said.

Huh. Last year in real life, you sure fooled me into thinking you listened to me and understood what I said. Brilliant job faking it, Diane!

So far, once I met A2K people face to face, none of them expressed a whole lot of surprise after meeting me. My offline personality seems pretty similar to my online one. The major difference appears to be that in real life arguments, I tend to say some fairly blunt things, but at the same time have this sheepish smile on my face saying "By the way, I don't mean this in an aggressive way". Online, I just say some very blunt things, and only my monitor witnesses the sheepish smile that goes with it. That probably makes me come across as more confrontative online than I am in real life. But apart from such minor things, online me seems to be quite similar to real life me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 08:36 am
Thomas - were you surprised by anyone you've met being different from online? I mean, other than Diane not listening to a word you said? Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 08:56 am
squinney wrote:
Thomas - were you surprised by anyone you've met being different from online? I mean, other than Diane not listening to a word you said? Very Happy

Not really. On meeting up, my biggest surprise usually is that people's faces are much different than I had imagined them based on their writing (unless, of course, I already knew the faces from threads about earlier gatherings etc.) But I adjust to this within about half an hour, and after that I never have any significant surprise. There are little differences. For example, I never heard CI say an impolite word in real life. Dyslexia seemed a bit more talkative in real life than he is writeative online. If I think real hard, I could probably add two or three more items to this list. But as I said, these were minor differences; the online character was always easy to recognize in the real life person.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 09:05 am
I flirt in real life.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 09:49 am
BBB
What and how I post is what I am. You would have to ask Dyslexia and Diane if I'm the same in person as I am on A2K since they know me so well.

I think I experienced more change when I retired at age 72. I no longer have to worry about what I say or what people think of me. I was so well known and visible in my community that I always had to be fairly careful about what I said and did.

All this changed when I left friends and family behind and moved to Albuquerque. I could reinvent myself and say whatever the hell I wanted to express.

It's liberating.

BBB
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:06 am
Thomas - Just an FYI for when we meet. I look nothing like my avatar. Very Happy

BBB - I found 40 liberating in much the same way.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:34 am
squinney wrote:
Thomas - Just an FYI for when we meet. I look nothing like my avatar. Very Happy

Great. Now my worldview lies in shatters.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:43 pm
OK Thomas, a confession is called for. I put much more effort into listening to people I enjoy than I do for general groups. What you have to say is worth hearing. That and the fact that you were sitting across from me so that I could do a hearing person's brand of lip reading, made it easy for me to hear you.

One more thing: I found you to be even more adorable in person than here on a2k. All the time we were sitting there i was wishing that I had a daughter your age. I couldn't think of a more delightful son-in-law. You are a real cutie as well as impressively intelligent.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:37 am
Wow, that's quite a compliment. Thanks!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:59 am
Diane wrote:
OK Thomas, a confession is called for. I put much more effort into listening to people I enjoy than I do for general groups. What you have to say is worth hearing. That and the fact that you were sitting across from me so that I could do a hearing person's brand of lip reading, made it easy for me to hear you.

One more thing: I found you to be even more adorable in person than here on a2k. All the time we were sitting there i was wishing that I had a daughter your age. I couldn't think of a more delightful son-in-law. You are a real cutie as well as impressively intelligent.

He's cute as well, huh?

Hmmmmm......
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:07 am
dlowan wrote:
He's cute as well, huh?

And much funnier in real life than on A2K, (not that he is not funny here!)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:04:33