God sets us straight.

au1929

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:02 pm
Wouldn't it be great if one day God were to decide to straighten out the mess he made when he created man by announcing to entire world in all languages that all religions were man made and the only prayers he wanted was that man should love his neighbor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,046 • Replies: 48
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:20 pm
Maybe I'm just to cynical but.. I'm guessing that if it happened it would just be the start of another religion and the current religions would all just starting fighting over it all again.. Sad
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
I'm thinking fishin's right. We humans is a messed up bunch.
0 Replies

Nona

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
AU1929:

Sweet thoughts!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:06 pm
What? BOTH neighbours?!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
Welcome to A2K, Nona.

You'll love it here, being dlowan's neigbour or not :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:18 pm
Nona, How cute you are! Can I adopt you? WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:20 pm
Oh, Nona, ditto! I did not realise you were new, since another A2k'er used to have that avatar - welcome!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:49 pm
Welcome, nona!
Cute pic!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 06:49 pm
As i am sure everyone is aware by now, i'm an atheist. For whatever anyone else may think, i don't think that this precludes me from considering religious issues. Bishop Burnet was the confessor of King Charles II after the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, and an important source for the period. He once wrote to a friend that "the King has a strange notion of God's love" (which is very revealing about Bishop Burnet as well) and then quoted Charles: "The only things which God hates, are that we be wicked and that we design mischief."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:36 pm
Re: God sets us straight.
au1929 wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if one day God were to decide to straighten out the mess he made when he created man by announcing to entire world in all languages that all religions were man made and the only prayers he wanted was that man should love his neighbor.

Now wouldn't that be nice ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:37 pm
dlowan wrote:
What? BOTH neighbours?!

LOL! hahaha!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:50 pm
Re: God sets us straight.
au1929 wrote:

What if God has already done that, and continues to do that every day?
What if His language is the sound of the wind, the rushing of a stream,
and the beauty we see all around us every time we look?

I have a theory that most people would listen for a few seconds,
say "Yeah, that's nice" and continue living as before.
Same as yesterday. Same as today. Same as tomorrow.

We may just be perfectly human, doing whatever it is we do.

Or perhaps God is not actually all around us, with and in everything
we think and do. That's possible too.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 01:22 am
Did the bible ever say he was immortal, besides the alpha omega stuff? Actually say he was unable to be killed? Maybe he OD'd or hit a satellite on his way to Mother Teresa's for coffee. Old age? If he is alive, (and real...-) I'm sure we were his test planet and when he saw a few million errors he'd done he said "f--- this" and went to another one and started over.. In all the haste he forgot to dissolve this one. Like a kid on a beach forsaking one sand castle to work on another.

Oh how I love toying with the notion of a God!

Weren't the crusades great? "God" could tell everyone what to do exactly and mankind would alter it to fit there growing lust for more and more power.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 01:41 pm
Hey, NNY: if you liked the Crusades, you'll love the Spanish Inquisition Laughing !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 01:48 pm
I don't know if anyone has seen "An Evening with Kevin Smith", but he tells an intresting story about when he was working with Prince, and what a pain Prince was, and how crazy....the publicist said to him "Prince has just been living in his world for far too long....he'll say things at 3 A.M. like 'I need a camel', and we have to explain to him that that is impossible, and he is not malicious, he just truly does not understand why this cannot be done." I paraphrase, but I think God is the same way. God hires so he can be left out of it, and never understands why things haven't been sorted yet.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:03 am
Setanta

Strange quote. From what I have read of the bible it is god who designs mischief.
0 Replies

juic3z

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 10:51 am
hey humans are never perfect. And in my opinion, God never messed up what He did. Well... ever wondered that if God is the Almighty.. then why did He let all this happen rite? I can't say I know why even as a Christian. But i know for sure that He has a reason to everything that He is doing. There are still many unanswered questions that we have and we may never get the answer. Hopefully God will reveal and show it to us.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:09 pm
Nice dream but impossible and it will never happen. We make the mess and it's our responsibility to clean it up, not some supernatural power. It's kind of like your playroom when you were a kid; if you mess it up you clean it up.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 06:23 pm
Hey, the whole concept of perfect/imperfect, straight/messy does not exist
until somebody (an individual) comes along and starts judgeing things.

It's made up. The world isn't messy at all, until you create an agenda within yourself.
If you want quietness, then anything loud is bad.
If you want noise, then anything quiet is bad.

But if you step back, and just look at the world with curiosity and no pushiness,
then you'll see tremendous beauty and grace,
everything so interesting, cohesive and balanced, just as it is.

It's impossible for God to straighten out the world because that's your concept, not his. The world is exactly, directly, and perfectly what it is.
0 Replies