Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:03 pm
That phrase came about because Margaret Mitchell, the author of "Gone With The Wind", was suffering from arthritis so her husband was fed up with repeatedly going to the library to bring books for her to read. He suggested she write her own book. And she did and that is how we have "Gone With The Wind" a story that was to produce a movie that for fifty years was the biggest box office hit of all time till "The Sound of music" came along. Another surprise - Pansy O'Hara was her original name not Scarlett.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:13 pm
talk, This is Margaret Mitchell's house in Atlanta. I visited her home and museum in November of 2000 where she wrote Gone With The Wind. She was a full-time volunteer for American Red Cross and gave 50 African American students scholarships to medical school.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/MargaretMitchellshouse.jpg
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:57 pm
Is that a new library going up next door to Margaret Mitchell home?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:58 pm
I'm not sure what they were building next to her house.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 12:05 am
Looks like a parking ramp.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 11:03 pm
Timber, you're right. I think it is.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:47 am
It's the very beginnings of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. I worked right down the street at the Woodruff Arts Center back then and I remember when that building went up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:02 am
eoe, That would be six years ago. Wink
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:33 am
Re: Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!
talk72000 wrote:
...suggested she write her own book. And she did and that is how we have "Gone With The Wind" a story that was to produce a movie that for fifty years was the biggest box office hit of all time till "The Sound of music" came along.
Not quite. GWTW was in 1939 and the Sound of Music was in 1965...not even 30 years.

talk720000 wrote:
Another surprise - Pansy O'Hara was her original name not Scarlett.
So you are saying it may have really been about a light in the loafers man that both Rhett Butler and Ashley Wilkes were hot for? Hmm...interesting concept; but, probably too daring for that day and age to be allowed on the big screen. More's the pity, it undoubtedly would of yielded bundles of cash for the studios.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:14 pm
I thought Timber would correct me as I wasn't sure of the date. It would be 30 years for it would be years before they knew "The Sound of Music" would break the record. It was in the theatres five straight years!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:16 pm
eoe, thanks. It seemed quite imposing so I assumed it was a library or something not ever imagining the Federal Reserve.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:22 pm
When I read "Gone With The Wind" (1000-pager) it took me a week or so when I was a teenager. I realized that a lot was missing in the film. There were so many subplots. I also noticed Superman was there i.e. George Reeves as one of the twins courting Scarlett. As a teenager I couldn't figure out why Scarlett fell for Rhett the scoundrel gambler where as Ashley Wilkes was a fine gentleman. But as a grownup I could see Rhett was a dashing figure.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:14 am
Same here. When I finally read it, I was stunned that Scarlett had 3 children, one with each man she married. At least, that's what I recall.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:17 am
eoe wrote:
Same here. When I finally read it, I was stunned that Scarlett had 3 children, one with each man she married. At least, that's what I recall.

Ella, Wade and Bonnie
0 Replies