The Eagle and The Troll-like Thing: An Unfinished Parable

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:57 pm
The troll-like thing backed away as it yelled invectives at the polar bears and the rabbits and the cowboys and the dogs and the hamsters that inhabited this strange world. The troll-like thing was completely unaware that not more than fifty paces behind it was the lip of a vast canyon. Nearer and nearer it came to the cliff's edge. An eagle called out to the troll-like thing. "Stop. You must stop or you will fall."

The troll-like thing replied with more venom. "You shut up, stupid eagle, I'm going to do whatever I want! And by the way, I'm not a troll, so don't call me one!" The troll-like thing continued walking backwards, now only a few yards from the edge. The wise eagle fixed the troll-like thing with it's gaze. "I did not call you a troll, for that would be rude. Now you must stop. You must stop or you will fall."

The angry troll-like thing gestured toward the animals that had gathered to watch. "Why don't you pick on the polar bears and the rabbits and the cowboys and the dogs and the hamsters! It's they who are the trolls, not me!" The troll-like thing was now less than two steps from backing itself directly into the chasm.

The polar bears and the rabbits and the cowboys and the dogs and the hamsters watched, fascinated. Somewhere, a raven cawed.

Instead of repeating the warning, this time the eagle asked a question. "Are you a troll?"

The troll-like thing stopped. It's back foot came to rest a fraction of an inch from the canyon's ledge. Pebbles dropped into the endless depths of emptiness directly behind and below the troll-like thing. The eagle and the troll-like thing stared into each other's eyes. Time stretched. The clouds floated bleakly behind them and the wind died, leaving behind a deep and sullen silence.

In the distance, once again, a raven cawed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,944 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:00 pm
http://www.ci.new-hope.mn.us/Departments/police/NNO/lawn-chair-circles.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:01 pm
So, then what?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:05 pm
The Polar Bear, being a simple creature of basic needs.... was called into the warm depths of his den by his mate and lost interest completely.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:09 pm
But, but , but this is a cliff-hanger...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:11 pm
unable to combat his own natural curiousity, and torn between it and the overwhelming desire to mate, the Polar Bear placed his laptop on his mate's back as he mounted her........
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:34 pm
The possum hid in the bushes to watch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:43 pm
The possum suddenly went into possum tharn while resting atop a branch of the Liquidambar tree...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:43 pm
Because, of course, he didn't want to become part of a possum pie...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:06 am
This is too weird.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:08 am
really?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:16 am
Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:18 am
really?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:17 am
Too much melodrama . . . the "troll-like creature" is dancing along the cliff's edge, reveling in all the attention.

You folks are providing a banquet for the "troll-like creature."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
Yes set but as I mentioned in another thread... at the bottom of the cliff are hungry modergators... they are merciless....and ready to feed....let us abandon this post before we are all devoured.....Bear over and out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 03:14 pm
Would it be rude to ask what the troll's first language is? Confused
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 03:17 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Would it be rude to ask what the troll's first language is? Confused

I'm not sure but I think it's invective or gibberish.....of course, being as the troll is an imaginary character one can't say with total assurance.

Any resemblance to an A2K poster would of course be strictly coincidental.....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 03:28 pm
The troll-like creature seems to be making a concerted effort to adapt a more civilized form of discourse. Perhaps the benefit of the doubt is in order.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 03:36 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The troll-like creature seems to be making a concerted effort to adapt a more civilized form of discourse. Perhaps the benefit of the doubt is in order.

OB, the voice of reason. Good for you. I shall cooperate fully, in the spirit of Christian love.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 03:40 pm
So it seems that the people who responded to the poll were mostly wrong. I'm glad. I was rooting for that kid.
0 Replies