Klitscho was robbed by bad luck

Crunch

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:51 pm
After tonight, he may not be the champion on paper, but he's the champion in my heart=p What do you guys think? Discuss:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,066 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:44 am
I think Klitshcko was about to take a major league ass-kicking. He moves like a tank and he telegraphs his punches seconds in advance of throwing them.

Except that he was in the ring with an out-of-shape, older fighter, he would not have lasted three rounds.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:58 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I think Klitshcko was about to take a major league ass-kicking. He moves like a tank and he telegraphs his punches seconds in advance of throwing them.

Except that he was in the ring with an out-of-shape, older fighter, he would not have lasted three rounds.

Yeah, but white guys all over the world had their frikkin fingers crossed.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
Really, Snood, do you think they're still waiting for the Great White Hope?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:26 am
That fight should have been stopped the first time the ring physician looked at the cut. The goddam cut was almost an inch wide and looked about as vicious as any cut I've ever seen in a prize fight.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:35 pm
fbaezer,

I think so. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say that's what originated the thread.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:00 am
I think boxing has become entertainment. Too much money involved. I didn't even had to see the match to know the outcome. WC, what does it mean nowadays? Nothing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 11:26 am
fbaezer wrote:
Really, Snood, do you think they're still waiting for the Great White Hope?

I'm pretty sure of it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:42 pm
Gee, I thought this was the XXI Century.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:05 am
Dude - think about it... You think the average white guy identifies more with Larry Bird, or Magic Johnson? (Or, in more modern, less popular terms, Dirk Nowitski or Tracey McGrady?)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
One would think that nowadays, personality and other stuff (team the athlete plays in) would count more. But I get your point.

I almost always root for the Mexicans, with very few exceptions.

But to have a favorite in a prizefight on a race -not a national- level, still strikes to me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 01:21 pm
I think there are lots of white guys who want a white man to whip ass on one of those black heavyweight world champions.

But almost every time a white heavyweight gets into the ring with a black heavyweight -- lots of blood happens on the white heavyweight. And at the end of the bout, almost every time, the white heavyweight has another loss on his record -- and the black heavyweight has another win.

I'm white.

I'd love to see a white champion.

But my all-time favorite heavyweight will be Muhammad Ali no matter what happens in that regard.

Snood -- I know many, many white people who root unabashedly for black athletes.

Tiger Woods couldn't be more popular among whites -- whatever his racial composition.

The Williams sisters are popular.

Willie Mays; Hank Aaron, my personal favorite all time running back, Jimmy Brown -- and the list could go on and on.

And Ali is first in the hearts of so many whites -- I would have a hard time counting just the ones I know.

You were careful with you wording -- but you were painting with a very broad brush.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
If your point is that some white people don't root for champions on a racial basis, I've said nothing to contradict that. As to your comment about the nuance of my language seeming to cast too large a net - you're entitled to your opinion as is everyone, but I talk how I talk.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
Boy, I'm glad Snood didn't direct that comment to me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
Yeah, Frank - I was talking to you, I thought that was obvious since I addressed specifically things you brought up - No need to try to be cutesy - If you have something to say, just say it.

Just to further clarify (I seem to always need to do that - almost as if English ain't someone's first language here - either me or whoever's listening):
There hasn't been a white world heavyweight champion since Ingemar Johanson beat Floyd patterson in 1959. If there is anyone out there who actually believes that when watching a heavywieight title bout, black guys aren't rooting for black guys, and white guys ain't pullin for the one who looks most like them, then I would suggest you ain't livin in the real world.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 05:49 pm
snood,

I don't remember ever rooting for a white guy in a boxing match. All my favorite boxers are either black or Latin.

I am neither.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 06:30 pm
Snood

snood wrote:
If there is anyone out there who actually believes that when watching a heavywieight title bout, black guys aren't rooting for black guys, and white guys ain't pullin for the one who looks most like them, then I would suggest you ain't livin in the real world.

Once again -- broad brush.

Craven indicates he is an exception.

I am too.

I can tell you that I am rooting for Tiger Woods in every tournament.

I was not rooting for either Klistcko or Lewis in their fight.

You are making statements and expressing sentiments I usually suspect are coming from a racist.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 07:36 pm
My first post in this thread said "there were white guys all over the world with their frikkin fingers crossed".
...said nothing about exceptions...

If my believing that a whole lot of blacks root for the black guy, and a whole lot of whites root for the white guy (and saying that out loud), makes me a racist, I guess I have to line up and get my membership card, huh?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:58 am
"You are making statements and expressing sentiments I usually suspect are coming from a racist".

...but I made it in under the wire, I hope? and incidentally, you consistently make statements I usually suspect are coming from a self-important ass, so we should both be relieved...
0 Replies