Damn Horseflies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 10:41 pm
Those damn horseflies are absolutely rellentless. They do circles around your head and just won't quit. There are tons of bees here, but they don't bother me since I'm not a constant target. I get so frustrated when I'm working outside sometimes because of those evil flies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,550 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:11 pm
Montana, check out this website of horsefly repellents for humans. You might find something worth trying here.

http://www.horseweb.com/links/Products/Fly_Spray_Insect_Control/index1.htm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:36 pm
Wow! Thanks so much Butrflynet :-D I didn't even know there were products to repel horseflies. I was just ranting. You just put a huge smile on my face ;-)

You're awesome ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:38 am
Nothing personal is meant by the following observation.

According to Greek folklore, being attractive to flies (houseflies, horseflies, deerflies, bluebottle flies, etc.) is a sign of being damned.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:36 pm
All poops go to hell.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:38 pm
Noddy, are you sure it has greek origin?

Beelzebub is traced past Greek to Hebrew Ba'al zebhubh and that origin is a Philistine god.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:55 pm
Always been kinda fond of Beelzebub, since Shakespeare and William Golding.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:26 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Nothing personal is meant by the following observation.

According to Greek folklore, being attractive to flies (houseflies, horseflies, deerflies, bluebottle flies, etc.) is a sign of being damned.

Hahaha. It's only horseflies every so often. Those things are attracked to anything that breaths, so maybe I'm just half damned.

You sure there's nothing personal there? ;-)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:38 pm
Woodspeople around these parts use garlic.
Munching a few cloves while working in the woods all day, apparently keeps a lot of flying beasties away.

Chocolate has exactly the opposite effect, sweetening your blood and driving them crazy.
Haven't tried it, but two lumberjacks here swear by it.

Might be worth experimenting.

Or make a few quick calls to a lumbermill, or anyone who spends lots of time outside -- everyone has their own ideas, and it might make a good newspaper article.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:47 pm
Thanks Codeborg. I'd try that, but as much as I like garlic, I can't imagine chewing on a raw clove. They're really not that bad here. The day I posted this I had one tormenting me to the point that I had to stop what I was doing and come inside, so I decided this would be a great place to vent ;-)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:23 pm
Hiya, Montana!

I hate horse-flies with a passion. I've spent many times underneath the water to escape them. Little buggers.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:29 pm
Rae
I hear that! You come up for air and they do a nose dive strait for you. <sight>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:26 pm
Craven--

Sorry for the delay in response. I'm having trouble with updates again. You're probably right about the source of the folklore. John Paul Sartre wrote/rewrote the Orestes story as "The Flies" and I picked up the notion from him without doing sufficient research.

Montana--

Getting personal? Of course not.

If The Elect know they are The Elect and glory in self-righteousness, then The Damned should know they are The Damned and grovel miserably.

Civil rights get in the way of predestination. If you are paranoid long enough, everyone will set out to get you.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 08:16 am
hmmmm.....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:16 pm
Of course it's not personal! uh huh ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:44 pm
Montana--

Thin skinned people wind up as fly bait--and flybait is damned.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 09:01 pm
Well, it's a good thing I'm not thin skinned then! As my skin thickened over the years, I learned the art of reading between the lines and my biggest lesson learned is not to allow myself to me damned by any creature "big or small" ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
Montana--

Isn't maturity soothing. Hold and extend your dominion!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:57 am
Yes, maturity can be soothing, but too much of it can be stifling.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:02 am
Horseflies suck (er) but my wrath is directed toward the SKEETERS these days. It's been very wet, and there are a lot of them. Evil little creatures. (Especially now that it's entirely possible they carry West Nile or some other horribleness. I actually know someone who had West Nile! Shocked About a week of misery, then fine.)
0 Replies