Angry driver kills egg-throwing teen

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:32 pm
Soz, will you post another link, if you can come up with more information?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:40 pm
This has a lot more info, inlcuding stating that the boy who was killed was NOT the one who threw the eggs. It refers to (apparently, I'm not certain) this article in the Columbus Dispatch.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:51 pm
Thanks, Soz. I followed your first link, but couldn't find more detailed information. That part of the neighborhood is just south of the Interstate, and south of Valley View, another "embedded" neighborhood which has its own police. The place were the map shows he was shot is not essentially different than the neighborhood south of Broad Street, and, once again, is heavily populated.

My first thought when i read this was that a resident of the neighborhood had done the shooting--and what i read there lends credence to that. Gun-ownership is common in that neighborhood, and so are shooting incidents. If you look at the large scale map, you see Hague Avenue, which runs, roughly, through the middle of the Hilltop. I70 is the northern boundary, and Wilson Road is roughly the western boundary (the Hilltop actually descends at Sylvan Avenue just east of Wilson Road, but close enough). Given that the joker got out of his vehicle and pursued the kids on foot is evidence to me that he is out-of-control. This was not a spur of the moment shooting, nor was popping off six rounds. Knowing the neighborhood, i'm sure most people did not want to get involved--i know i would not have wanted to get involved.

This is just too sad, and i hope they find the clown, because he is obviously very dangerous.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:30 pm
I had my car detailed right before Halloween, and it was parked in front of the shop overnight on Halloween...someone egged it, and took some paint off the roof.

While that sucks, I don't think the kid "had what was coming to him," throwing snowballs/eggs/acorns/bricks off highway bridges/stabbing people are all normal early teen sports.

I've been caught playing mailbox baseball(I was the driver, not the hitter), and also throwing things at cars. Worse I got was being yelled at. Shot at would suck balls.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:39 pm
So, the sulphur in the egg yolks strips paint? Is that what's going on?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 03:49 pm
Not sure what's in them that does, but once the egg dries it eats away at the paint.

Putting salami on someone's car does the same thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 04:07 pm
Nice . . .

In fact, i've never had my vehicle "egged," and never knew anyone who had. I'd heard of it, but didn't know it would do that kind of damage.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 04:36 pm
On my car, there's little specks of paint missing...it doesn't just tear all the paint off, but definitely makes a noticeable difference.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 09:01 pm
I remember putting a banana in the tailpipe of the bitchy-ass middle school librarian's conversion van. I was overcome with a profound sense of guilt (damned Catholic childhood) for hours, but got a kick out of seeing her pull up to the faculty parking lot the next day in a different vehicle.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 09:12 pm
I am appalled by this thread.

Cars are Sacred in the US. Or so it seems. The criminal Yolk and all. How sad.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 09:18 pm
I spent a batch of my life in a seriously bad neighborhood, but just outside, by a couple of hundred feet. As luck would have it, things improved, by virtue of geography. I suppose I was a gentrifier.

But.... my ex lived near the intersection of 71st and Budlong during the Watt's days, and when it happened he was playing baseball as a white boy there and his parents then lived later by the next comflammery.

Me and my business partner left, at a few feet from La Cienega and Washington, apparently just in time.
So, I've been through this and that. I go back to, though, the people who were neighbors of my husband and his brother's family, their goodness.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:27 pm
Echoing Fbaezer, Soz, Gargamel and Shewolf.

Unbelievable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:43 pm
Kind of amazing, isn't it? Short shrift for a kid lobbing eggs, but not much good to say about keeping a gun to defend the home. Maybe it's just easier to visualize vandalism than having one's home invaded.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:56 pm
Not catching your drift there, Roger. Whose gun was used to "defend the home"? Whose home was invaded?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:15 pm
No, no, no. I'm saying that it seems that many who can accept a revenge killing for vandalism (if only tongue in cheek) cannot accept legitimate defense. The distinction seems a large one to me.

Hope this clarifies, somewhat.
0 Replies