Angry driver kills egg-throwing teen

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:49 am
Setanta wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The Hilltop is an area which an acquaintance of mine once described as "West Virginia West." It is a working class neighborhood filled with drunken spouse and child abusers, crack whores, juvenile delinquents and about any other category of sad people whom one can associate with poverty and ignorance.

Yes, everyone knows that there are no sad upper-class drunken spouses, child abusers, crackheads, or juvenile delinquents.

Given that you know nothing about Columbus, Ohio, your remarks are just the type of sneer which i have learned is typical of you.

In short, as is so often the case, you're shooting your mouth off, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

In short, you've commented on how apparent crime is in a particular neighborhood, while sneering yourself at how it is because it is a poor, working-class neighborhood.

You've made no real contribution to the thread, you've made no valid comparison between this neighborhood and any other, you've provided only anecdotal commentary, you've shown yourself to be a troll and an ass.

Occasionally, your posts rise to the blinding height of compentency. You have not managed that level on this thread.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 11:53 am
sozobe wrote:
Completely agree with Gargamel here. (Well, except for the powerful sedative part maybe. I really truly like it... but then again I don't live on the Hilltop.)

Well, I guess I mean the Midwest in general. I lived in Ohio for four years--I got nothin' against it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 12:08 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Setanta wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Setanta wrote:
The Hilltop is an area which an acquaintance of mine once described as "West Virginia West." It is a working class neighborhood filled with drunken spouse and child abusers, crack whores, juvenile delinquents and about any other category of sad people whom one can associate with poverty and ignorance.

Yes, everyone knows that there are no sad upper-class drunken spouses, child abusers, crackheads, or juvenile delinquents.

Given that you know nothing about Columbus, Ohio, your remarks are just the type of sneer which i have learned is typical of you.

In short, as is so often the case, you're shooting your mouth off, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

In short, you've commented on how apparent crime is in a particular neighborhood, while sneering yourself at how it is because it is a poor, working-class neighborhood.

You've made no real contribution to the thread, you've made no valid comparison between this neighborhood and any other, you've provided only anecdotal commentary, you've shown yourself to be a troll and an ass.

Occasionally, your posts rise to the blinding height of compentency. You have not managed that level on this thread.

The only sneers here are coming from you. I'm not sneering at that neighborhood, i just happen to know it intimately. You have no basis for your claim that i have sneered at anyone.

When i first arrived in Columbus, Ohio, i was employed by a family shelter. We were located in a building in the Bottoms, just to the east of the Hilltop. Our white clients came overwhelmingly from the Hilltop and the Bottoms. Our black clients came mostly from the East Main Street neighborhoods, and the neighborhoods east of 19th Street, north and east of Marion Avenue. We worked closely with the police, and were frequently, and sadly, obliged to turn our clients in to the police. We had parents who would disappear from the housing we provided them, leaving minor children in charge of the other children, while they disappear for a day or longer. In early 1989, The New York Times did a series of articles on crack cocaine, then a newly popular drug, and their series concentrated on Columbus, Ohio--which was then the crack capital of the country.

Driving on shelter business near McDowell street, i saw, on more than one occasion, a crack dealer handing out little vials of crack to his runners, who serviced the neighborhood. If you live in that neighborhood (and i've known many single men who did, because of the cheap housing), you can't walk to the convenience store without passing through the little cluster of crack whores on the corner--the thriteen and fourteen year olds who will give you a blow job if you'll get them a dime of crack. If you are in those neighborhoods late at night, it is common to hear gun fire, sometimes even automatic weapons fire. If you're smart, you don't confront any of the residents in those neighborhoods, because the possibility that they're packin' heat, or have guns at home nearby, is very high.

My boss, the Director of the Family Shelter which employed me, who herself lived in that neighborhood, didn't believe the scope of the problem. So i told her i could show her. We drove over to a convenience store on the corner of McDowell and State, and i walked up the little crowd of pre-schoolers on the street nearby, and jingled the change in my pocket. I told them i had a quarter for each one of them, and they crowded around me. I told them they'd have to help me out, first, though. I asked them which house was the crack house. They all grew very solemn, and, without a word, turned and pointed to the same house in the midst of the housing projects on that block. They knew which house was the crack house, because mom or dad were always to be found there, rather than at home.

I'm not surprised to hear this about the Hilltop neighborhood, because over a period of more than fifteen years, i've worked in and visited that neighborhood repeatedly. It has nothing to do with sneering, it has to do with a realistic attitude.

All i see from you is a series of cheap shots at me. How pathetic on your part. Once again, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 12:15 pm
What the hell is going on here?

A bit of animosity? Tone 'er down, boys.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 12:27 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Honestly, tightly wound adults wanting to unload all their little failures and dissappointments by snapping at kids over trifles like a dirty car, truly deserve egg all over their windshields

Without (yet) weighing in on the manner in which vengeance was taken on the egg-thrower, it's worth pointing out that having an egg thrown at you while you're driving amounts to a bit more than just "a dirty car." Some years ago I was driving through a hilly (bordering on mountainous), poorly lit and generally empty stretch of road at about midnight. There was a car coming in the other direction, which I thought nothing of until the they threw an egg at my windshield. I didn't see it coming at all... all I knew is that one moment I could see through my windshield, and the next moment I couldn't. It's pretty serious business taking away a driver's visibility, especially on an unlit road surrounded by ravines.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
Whatever happened to the goold old days when kids could get cars, tp homes and let air out of tires with impunity? Seems everything is an exceuse to kill someone these days...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 12:48 pm
Shapeless wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
Honestly, tightly wound adults wanting to unload all their little failures and dissappointments by snapping at kids over trifles like a dirty car, truly deserve egg all over their windshields

Without (yet) weighing in on the manner in which vengeance was taken on the egg-thrower, it's worth pointing out that having an egg thrown at you while you're driving amounts to a bit more than just "a dirty car." Some years ago I was driving through a hilly (bordering on mountainous), poorly lit and generally empty stretch of road at about midnight. There was a car coming in the other direction, which I thought nothing of until the they threw an egg at my windshield. I didn't see it coming at all... all I knew is that one moment I could see through my windshield, and the next moment I couldn't. It's pretty serious business taking away a driver's visibility, especially on an unlit road surrounded by ravines.

I know for certain that, at least until 1995, the year my Chevy Prism was manufactured, cars came equipped with windshield wipers. Sometimes even fluid. Also, brakes.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:10 pm
And your point is? I'm sort of eager to see the kinds of rationalizing gymnastics required to show that wipers, fluid and brakes negate the danger of having your visibility taken away without warning.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:19 pm
My point is that eggs are lethal weapons, and we ought to have permits to carry them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
You ever been egged while driving, Gargamel? I assure you, it is not a harmless practice.

That being said, the shooter is a loon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:56 pm
It's not harmless, and wipers won't get it off. Still, shooting the perp seems a bit of overkill, so to speak.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:03 pm
Losing one's visibility for even a second at high speed can be fatal. I once drove to Toronto, and, approaching Coneaut on the Pennsylvania border, i noticed snow on the highway. By the time i was into Pennsylvania, the snow was coming down so hard and fast that visibility just disappeared. I slowed to a crawl and then pulled over and waited 40 minutes until the snow stopped. A car which passed me (and helped me to decide to pull over) was in the ditch about a mile down the road. Fortunately for him, the heavy snow probably had the effect of cushioning his crash.

I driven on the highlands of Route 403 in Ontario, notorious for its fog, and been obliged to pull over like right now because a fog closed in and obliterated visibility in seconds. I've never had the experience of having an egg break on my windshield.

Back in the 90s, there was a rash of kids throwing big f*cking rocks from the street overpasses above I71 in Columbus, which eventually resulted in the death of a woman (i believe they were throwing chunks of cinder block). Now, as far as i know, every street overpass over an Interstate in Columbus has huge hurricane fence shields to prevent people from throwing things onto the roadway. None of the interstates pass through the Hilltop, they pass on either side of it. These kids must have been egging cars from the side of the street--that's the only sense i can make of it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:07 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Yeah, that dumbass dead kid!

Having once been chased by a fat drunken redneck for throwing water balloons at cars, I have to kind of agree. Still, what a shame.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:13 pm
This is tangential but I'll tell it anyway, to highlight my own dumbness.

I didn't get my first car until I was out of college and had gotten a fulltime job. When it was a couple of months old, it got egged at Halloween. Yes, yes, when I got to my car the next morning and saw the eggs, I took it to a carwash, whence the egg was subject to high temperature. The paint may have been damaged already, I don't know, but it surely was when the car came out of the carwash... and had to have a new paint job.

On the present incident, I presume the SUV driver had sudden rage, which I can understand. The action on the rage in that manner, I can't understand.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Gargamel wrote:
Yeah, that dumbass dead kid!

Having once been chased by a fat drunken redneck for throwing water balloons at cars, I have to kind of agree. Still, what a shame.

I was exaggerating similar sentiments.

Well, I've never had my car egged, so I'll take everybody's word for it. I can imagine it's a more dangerous than a snowball, which melts or obliterates on contact.

Howver I doubt 1/2 cup of yolk, much of which is transparent, compares to a blizzard.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:18 pm
ossobuco wrote:
On the present incident, I presume the SUV driver had sudden rage, which I can understand. The action on the rage in that manner, I can't understand.

I thought of that, too. However, this joker apparently chased the kids, and then hopped out and started shooting. That clown had time to cool off, to reconsider the advisability of opening fire. The article which Soz linked said south of Broad Street on the Hilltop--that's a heavily populated area. The guy who did this shooting is a seriously dangerous and irresponsible individual--even if he had missed the kid, the other rounds had a high probability of hitting someone else.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
Regarding having one's car egged: IMO, the sound is as, or more, dangerous than the loss of visibility.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:24 pm
The other thing from the article I found is that it doesn't seem clear if the kid who actually did the throwing is the one who got killed. He was with two other kids, and his crime may have been no more than wrong place, wrong time, and running from a guy brandishing a gun.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
He killed him?????

Over a f'n egg?

Jeeeesus..

I hope that asswipe doesnt have kids.

He could have just gotten out of the car and belted him one if he was still that angry..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 02:30 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
He could have just gotten out of the car and belted him one if he was still that angry..

Yeah, well, it was bad neighborhood and all....
0 Replies