Don't we just execute programs? Free will is an illusion.

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
georeob, perhaps we can just agree to split the difference?

OK by me Dys. Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:42 am
aperson

I would interpet it as a single event in which there is no difference between chaos and free will. I would try to understand everything non-dualistically.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:43 pm
So you're saying that free will and chaos are the same, and therefore free will is existent? Chaos is random; free will is not. They can't be the same thing and therefore must be treated differently and as separate things.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:51 pm
aperson wrote:
They can't be the same thing and therefore must be treated differently and as separate things.

Sometimes the difference is not of the thing observed, but more a matter of the viewer's perspective.

You say that free will in not random. But how can a world where there is free will not be a world of chaos? There'd have to be chaos to accomodate free will.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:13 pm
aperson wrote:
So you're saying that free will and chaos are the same, and therefore free will is existent? Chaos is random; free will is not. They can't be the same thing and therefore must be treated differently and as separate things.

Chaos is not necessarily random and random is not necessarily chaos.

I did not say that free will and chaos are the same. I said that a universe without chaos would not be recognizable as a universe.

Indeed I noted that chaos and sensitive dependence on initial conditions in some aspects of brain activity do not necessarily imply volition. However they do permit it. They also add some interesting elements to your concept of the 'programs' that presumably guide our actions. My real emphasis was that our brain's activity does leave us with the sensation of volition and choice - hard to conceive of a program that could do that.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:10 am
Ah, I give up. I don't know enough on the scientific side of things. Maybe I"ll find out and start another thread.

Thanks for your contribution all.
0 Replies