"Why" not "how" we are here.

fresco

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:41 am
Terry wrote

Quote:
How" the light comes on is a science and engineering question, and the laws of physics do not require a social agreement to function

Read Kuhn.

http://www.des.emory.edu/mfp/Kuhn.html
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:24 pm
Terry wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
"Philosophically speaking, what is the most valuable information is the universe to you"

Whether there is a supreme being who controls my life or expects something of me. However, that question seems to be unanswerable at present. Sad

I would like to know what existed before the big bang and exactly how life evolved, but that sort of information is not really valuable to most people. Knowing how to cure whatever serious diseases I will contract in my life would be extremely valuable. So would knowing the winning Powerball numbers before the next big jackpot.

IMO, the information that would be most valuable to mankind would be how to construct a society that would give every person the opportunity to live a "good" life.

Do you not think our society affords everyone the opportunity to live a good life?

Or are you saying you would like that good life to be guaranteed (regardless of the person's actions)?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:49 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Is there more to you than what you see in the mirror?

We have researched the claims for the existence of a "soul" which can (allegedly) survive the death of the body or which can (allegedly) detach itself from the body. And those of us who have checked it out do not see any reason to believe that such a thing as the "soul" exists.

Instead, we are satisfied with the explanation that the conscious, aware "Self" is established by the structures and the processes of the nervous system, particularly the brain, but working in conjunction with the nerves and the sensory organs. We may not know exactly what is going on or exactly how it works, but we don't see anything that even remotely points to the possibility that a supernatural "soul" exists.

When we use the word "soul" in English, then, we mean a synonym for "person": "Not a soul was at the beach this evening." Sometimes we mean "mind" when we use this word. Only religious people mean "disembodied spirit"; only religious people give this word a supernatural, life-after-death meaning.
Cliff Walker.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:49 pm
Eorl wrote:

We have researched the claims for the existence of a "soul" which can (allegedly) survive the death of the body or which can (allegedly) detach itself from the body. And those of us who have checked it out do not see any reason to believe that such a thing as the "soul" exists.

Instead, we are satisfied with the explanation that the conscious, aware "Self" is established by the structures and the processes of the nervous system, particularly the brain, but working in conjunction with the nerves and the sensory organs. We may not know exactly what is going on or exactly how it works, but we don't see anything that even remotely points to the possibility that a supernatural "soul" exists.

That's a classic.

'We don't know what 'consciousness' is, but we KNOW that it can't be something we've never seen.

Just because we don't yet know what it is or how it works, doesn't mean we're not absolutely sure that it's not something that we've haven't found.

Of that, we're sure.

In short, we've found no natural evidence of the supernatural.'
[/b] Laughing
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 01:48 am
Straw man. (who da thunk?)
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:32 am
Eorl wrote:

When we use the word "soul" in English, then, we mean a synonym for "person": "Not a soul was at the beach this evening." Sometimes we mean "mind" when we use this word. Only religious people mean "disembodied spirit"; only religious people give this word a supernatural, life-after-death meaning.
Cliff Walker.

Eorl:

Are you saying that because something has not been discovered - it cannot exist?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:28 pm
Oh c'mon Eorl.

Regarding a soul which survives death, your source said 'Those of us who have checked it out find no reason to believe in this'

Just exactly how did they 'check out' the survival of the soul after death and return to tell us all about it?

Regarding the 'conscious self' , your source admits 'we don't know what's going on or how it works..' and proceeds to dogmatically state what just can't be so.

You take this guy seriously? Sorry, I can't.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:37 pm
eorl wrote:
Only religious people mean "disembodied spirit"; only religious people give this word a supernatural, life-after-death meaning.

Often that twist is even reserved for the critic of religious beliefs. Many, if not most, religious people have a pretty day to day approach to their practice. But that is often dimmed down in this kind of straw man tactics where the emphasis is on what doesn't add up.

Personally I do not care. Religion, humanism, they are all means to an end. Towards becoming able to live free and in harmony with the world. If it takes worshipping imaginary dragons every full moon, or singing to houseflies, I don't care as long as the practice brings happiness and harmony.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:43 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
eorl wrote:
Only religious people mean "disembodied spirit"; only religious people give this word a supernatural, life-after-death meaning.

Often that twist is even reserved for the critic of religious beliefs. Many, if not most, religious people have a pretty day to day approach to their practice. But that is often dimmed down in this kind of straw man tactics where the emphasis is on what doesn't add up.

Personally I do not care. Religion, humanism, they are all means to an end. Towards becoming able to live free and in harmony with the world. If it takes worshipping imaginary dragons every full moon, or singing to houseflies, I don't care as long as the practice brings happiness and harmony.

So, the end justifies the means?

If you kill any who disagree with you, you're happy and there's perfect unity. Zero dissent in the world.

Good plan?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:47 pm
Singing to houseflies? Hmmmm, that sounds pretty good.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:49 pm
Real Life, the end of Eternal Bliss justifies the means of believing the most absurd doctrines or blowing oneself to pieces along with others?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:52 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Real Life, the end of Eternal Bliss justifies the means of believing the most absurd doctrines or blowing oneself to pieces along with others?

No. Why would you think I would agree to that?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm
real life wrote:
If you kill any who disagree with you, you're happy and there's perfect unity. Zero dissent in the world.

Good plan?

I seriously doubt that everyone would go along, and so the practice doesn't yield harmony.
If you wish to rule the world it's probably a good plan, but not if you want to be happy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:58 pm
After reading the first six pages of this thread, it's my humble opinion "it just is!"

We are born into this world without much choice; we inherit our parents genes, and are then "thrown into" the environment in which they lived.

If we're one of the more lucky ones, we'll be born into a "developed" country where educational and economic opportunities are present.

Some work harder than others to "achieve" some comfort, but the majority in this world earn less than $2/day.

Luck and being at the right place at the right time has more value than anything else.

It just is.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 01:12 pm
Real life, it does seem to me that the modus vivendi of Christian and Muslim fundamentalists rests on the end-justifies-the-means rule. As a fundamentalist Christian wouldn't this apply to you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:31 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Real life, it does seem to me that the modus vivendi of Christian and Muslim fundamentalists rests on the end-justifies-the-means rule. As a fundamentalist Christian wouldn't this apply to you?

Show me anything I've said that indicates I believe 'the end justifies the means.'

There isn't any.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:15 pm
The end = heaven
The means = any rationalization to believe in the bible
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:12 pm
I believe my challenge to JNL was : show me anything I have said, not something you've made up that resembles nothing I've said.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:38 pm
Well, I was just referring to your general fundamentalist take on things. Not a specific utterance. Was I wrong? Do you not think that the goal of heaven (or the goal of pleasing of God) warrants any action? (I'm sort of thinking of Abraham's decision regarding the sacrifice of his son in accordance with God's will)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:38 pm
Well, I was just referring to your general fundamentalist take on things. Not a specific utterance. Was I wrong? Do you not think that the goal of heaven (or the goal of pleasing of God) warrants any action? (I'm sort of thinking of Abraham's decision regarding the sacrifice of his son in accordance with God's will)
0 Replies