"Why" not "how" we are here.

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:22 am
I am intersted in hearing what people think their purpose is.

Whether you believe in predestiny and divinity or you don't, I don't think that it's unreasonable to say that everyone feels some sense of "why they are here."

I am not interested in disscussion on....Creation vs Evolution, or Big Bang vs the great "I am."

Those are disscussions on "how" we are here, I wish to address "why."
--------------------------------------

I was onced asked a question and I think it can reveal a great deal about a person.

"If you were presented to boxes, The first box has the answer to "how we are here," the second box has the answer to "why we are here..."

"Which box would you pick?"
"Which box would hold the greatest benifit to mankind?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,366 • Replies: 169
No top replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:04 am
Re: "Why" not "how" we are here.
Diest TKO wrote:
I am intersted in hearing what people think their purpose is.

Whether you believe in predestiny and divinity or you don't, I don't think that it's unreasonable to say that everyone feels some sense of "why they are here."

I am not interested in disscussion on....Creation vs Evolution, or Big Bang vs the great "I am."

Those are disscussions on "how" we are here, I wish to address "why."
--------------------------------------

I was onced asked a question and I think it can reveal a great deal about a person.

"If you were presented to boxes, The first box has the answer to "how we are here," the second box has the answer to "why we are here..."

"Which box would you pick?"
"Which box would hold the greatest benifit to mankind?"

A very good question!

I would pick "Why we are here...".

As to your original question - I have no earthly idea - and ponder it often. For me - it only leads to more questions. If I were forced to provide an answer - it would be that there is a purpose for which we haven't a clue.

Not being evasive Deist - just honest. :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:14 am
I'm relieved that you picked "why."

If you had to guess based on your experiance thus far in life, what would you say your purpose is? You're a divinity person, so you naturally believe (I assume) that your purpose is already decided but you are unaware of it and for that matter may never know?

C'mon, take a guess. There's no harm in being wrong on this question.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 11:56 am
I don't think that there is a cosmic "why". It simply is.

Personally, I think that my job on this earth is to leave it a better place for those who follow me. If I can move evolution along, in the tiniest way, then my years on this earth will have had a purpose.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:24 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm relieved that you picked "why."

If you had to guess based on your experiance thus far in life, what would you say your purpose is? You're a divinity person, so you naturally believe (I assume) that your purpose is already decided but you are unaware of it and for that matter may never know?

C'mon, take a guess. There's no harm in being wrong on this question.

I'm not worried about being wrong. (Trust me on that! :wink: )

Your extended question is also a good one. (If you had to guess based on your experiance thus far in life, what would you say your purpose is?) Quick versions: I would say that it is to help prepare my daughters for a favorable and productive adult-life. As to my professional life - to provide positive assistance to humanity.

And you?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:35 pm
Based on my experiance thus far and the opportunities I have, I don't believe there is a purpose decided for me. I do believe it's my perogitive to find purpose.

I'm an Aerospace Engineer, so perhaps I'll make my life about bringing us a single footstep closer to the boundries of ever expanding universe.

I'm a writer, maybe I'll decide to try and inspire as many people as I can.

right now, I feel my purpose is to do as much as I possibly can. As a mentor of mine says: Live, Leran, Love, Leave a Legacy.

I'f I'm only here for a tiny fraction of enternity, I wish to leave at least one footprint.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:52 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Based on my experiance thus far and the opportunities I have, I don't believe there is a purpose decided for me. I do believe it's my perogitive to find purpose.

I'm an Aerospace Engineer, so perhaps I'll make my life about bringing us a single footstep closer to the boundries of ever expanding universe.

I'm a writer, maybe I'll decide to try and inspire as many people as I can.

right now, I feel my purpose is to do as much as I possibly can. As a mentor of mine says: Live, Leran, Love, Leave a Legacy.

I'f I'm only here for a tiny fraction of enternity, I wish to leave at least one footprint.

Well done! Very Happy

I'm a M.E. with - well - a few U.S. utility patents - all in the world of physics. And it became apparent to me several years ago that the more I learn about our physical world - the less I really know - and will likely ever know. It's the ole speck of dust on a fly's a$$ syndrome!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 01:12 pm
The 'WHY' we are here is to learn 'HOW' to live. Once we learn 'HOW' we will know 'WHY'. I wish I had started sooner. Maybe next time.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 02:00 pm
I would pick the "how" box. I suspect the other one would be empty.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 02:31 pm
Both boxes would have to contain the same answer.
Why?
Because in explaining purpose we use method as the guideline, and in explaining method we use purpose as the guideline.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 11:34 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't think that there is a cosmic "why". It simply is.

Personally, I think that my job on this earth is to leave it a better place for those who follow me. If I can move evolution along, in the tiniest way, then my years on this earth will have had a purpose.

Interesting reply Phoenix.

Several questions come to mind.

If you believe in evolution, what makes you think you cannot move evolution forward?

Won't it happen automatically with or without your wanting it to?

How do you know what will and won't 'move evolution along' ?

What if the things you do to move evolution forward , actually do the opposite, because you don't know what direction evolution is going?

If evolution moves in the direction of making mankind extinct, then would you consider that 'leaving the world a better place'?

If not, then aren't you actually in the position of one who wishes to purposely hinder evolution's progress?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 10:36 am
We know neither how nor why the perceptual world arose.

We also know that sentient beings spend most of their existence in the pursuit of pleasure and escape from suffering. The duality insures that most of life is suffering. Is the "Why" of experiential life suffering? I don't believe so. Suffering arises from our general inability to distinguish the illusory nature of the Perceptual World. There is a means of mitigating, and finally defeating suffering.

Suffering is conquered by awakening to Ultimate Reality that is the unhewn log from which the planks of the universe appear to have been cut. Ultimate Reality is without dimension, or division, while Perceptual Reality is a mere dream of space, time and relationships. There have been, are, and will be many who do have the Awakening Experience and find wholeness restored in the Great Ineffable.

Perhaps in the fullness of Dreamtime, all sentient beings will be Enlightened and the dream that never was will end in the very moment of its arising. Perhaps not. For those millions whose lives are not easily adjusted to the disciplined Eight-Fold Path, suffering can be mitigated. Living the Middle Way and with compassion is a long step forward. Being attentive to the each apparently discrete moment pays wonderful dividends. Understanding that time and space and individuality are illusory, helps one to achieving an acceptance that in itself reduces suffering.

Is the "why" of existence the struggle to defeat suffering. Again, I don't think so, though that is a pretty good way to spend one's time in this Dream. Answering the "why" and "how" of the Dream isn't nearly so important as living in a manner that is as devoid of suffering, and that causes as little suffering as possible. That should be enough for anyone.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 10:49 am

Real Life:

Quote:
If you believe in evolution, what makes you think you cannot move evolution forward?

Evolution is always moving forward.

Quote:

Of course, but perhaps I was waxing poetic. What I meant was that even to the tiniest degree, I want my life to have had a positive impact on this world.

Quote:

It has been happening all along, so my expectation is that it will continue.

Quote:
What if the things you do to move evolution forward , actually do the opposite, because you don't know what direction evolution is going?

I can only do what I can, based on my best knowledge and judgement.

Quote:
If evolution moves in the direction of making mankind extinct, then would you consider that 'leaving the world a better place'?

I am only concerned with a world populated by human beings. If evolution renders mankind extinct, it is beyond my control. Therefore, I am not concerned with that possibility.

Quote:
If not, then aren't you actually in the position of one who wishes to purposely hinder evolution's progress?

I don't understand what you are driving at with that question.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 05:36 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Real Life:

Quote:

Evolution is always moving forward.

Quote:

Of course, but perhaps I was waxing poetic. What I meant was that even to the tiniest degree, I want my life to have had a positive impact on this world.

Quote:

It has been happening all along, so my expectation is that it will continue.

Quote:

I can only do what I can, based on my best knowledge and judgement.

Quote:

I am only concerned with a world populated by human beings. If evolution renders mankind extinct, it is beyond my control. Therefore, I am not concerned with that possibility.

Quote:

I don't understand what you are driving at with that question.

How can you say that you 'want to leave the world a better place' and at the same time say that you 'cannot have any impact on whether mankind survives or not' and therefore you do not even concern yourself with the possibility ?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 05:44 pm
Quote:
How can you say that you 'want to leave the world a better place' and at the same time say that you 'cannot have any impact on whether mankind survives or not' and therefore you do not even concern yourself with the possibility ?

real life- I have a very realistic concept of what I can and cannot do, and my sphere of influence.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

real life- I have a very realistic concept of what I can and cannot do, and my sphere of influence.

So would you recommend that every person adopt the same attitude --

'I am realistic so I know that I can have no impact on whether mankind survives or not.

It is beyond my control, so I will not concern myself with it' ?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:24 pm
Just as flowers bloom, and rocks slowly form, we are born and exist. We exist to propagate the species (a general species thing, not necessarily individual). But, that reason to exist is a biological thing. With our minds, we find many reasons, some commendable, some not so. The saints among us surely exist for other reasons than the scourges. Ultimately, it is a question that loses meaning if pursued too far.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:01 pm
Terry wrote:

I agree with Terry, and I was going to say the exact same thing, I suspect that the 'why' box is empty.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:45 pm
I just don't understand why the 'why' box should be considered empty without even a glance into it. Since the most logical 'why' would be to evolve, and there is an abundance of evidence that we are evolving. Or have we 'devolved' from Lucy? (three million year old Australopithecus afarensis) Have we traveled all this way just to deny our journey?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:47 pm
Terry wrote:

Damn. Terry stole my answer too.
0 Replies