Francis wrote:

For a beginning, take a look here:

Ottoman Empire

For the beginning as well: The history of Anatolia and Turkey

And for further studies: Virtual Historical Library of Turkey

High Seas

Sat 24 Oct, 2009 03:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Himmel! Why is Turkey even mentioned in a thread about the European Union? Only 2 countries have territory in both Europe and Asia, Turkey and Russia. Russia has more of a claim to join the EU than Turkey - not that they'll apply. If it takes yet another Balkan war to re-draw the boundaries of Turkey east of the Dardanelles then most Balkan countries will not hesitate to fight that war. Has anyone visited Kosovo recently, btw?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 24 Oct, 2009 04:19 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Himmel! Why is Turkey even mentioned in a thread about the European Union?

Because the McTags were there recently, on holidays.
McTag

Sun 25 Oct, 2009 12:00 pm
@Francis,

Thank you, Francis, my dear friend.

Last week I bought a book "Byzantium, the surprising life of a medieval empire" by Judith Herrin, and it's very good.
I'll work my way up to Mustapha Kemal and to the EU question, gradually and by degrees.

High Seas, my warmest greetings to you, and you are no doubt aware that Turkey, its development and its intentions, are matters of acute interest to us European folks.
McTag

Sun 25 Oct, 2009 12:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Quote:
Because the McTags were there recently, on holidays.

I was about to take a photograph of the Sword of Osman in the Topkapi Palace treasury when I got my collar fingered by a large and quite stern palace guard.
Francis

Sun 25 Oct, 2009 12:08 pm
McT wrote:
I'll work my way up to Mustapha Kemal

I was introduced to Ataturk's modernisation of turkish society, in my youth, by a penpal Turkish girl..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm
@McTag,
No more picture taking at the Topkapi Palace? It seems more and more museums are enforcing no pictures, and when they do, they charge a fee.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Sun 25 Oct, 2009 03:32 pm

Quote:
Le Maroc se félicite de son nouveau "statut avancé" avec l'UE
Le ministre marocain des Affaires étrangères, Taïeb Fassi Fihri, a salué le "statut avancé" offert lundi à son pays par l'Union européenne et souligné que Rabat bénéficierait désormais de "tous" les avantages de l'UE, "sauf les institutions". Nous sommes en train d'approcher le 'tout'", a insisté le ministre.
Concrètement, sur le plan politique, ce statut avancé prévoit l'organisation de sommets réguliers UE-Maroc et la mise en place d'un accord cadre pour la participation du Maroc aux opérations européennes de gestion de crise

http://www.souss.com/Le-Maroc-se-felicite-de-son.html
Walter Hinteler

Sun 25 Oct, 2009 04:31 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Et? Je ne saisis pas entièrement ce que tu veux dire par là.

Most Mediterranean countries, Japan, and a couple more are "privileged partners" of the EU.
With the Mediterranean countries, however, the EU has made some treaties for an even closer connection - the Europe-Mediterranean Free Trade Area.
These trade agreements have been more liberalised recently - I wonder why our South-African racist friend didn't mention the other countries: the Egypt-EU agreement was more discussed in some member states, for instance.
0 Replies

High Seas

Mon 26 Oct, 2009 03:19 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
.....High Seas, my warmest greetings to you, and you are no doubt aware that Turkey, its development and its intentions, are matters of acute interest to us European folks.

Warmest greetings returned. Interest in Turkey here waxes and wanes with the logarithm of the distance from the Turkish border of whichever neighbor country we're currently invading Smile
Francis

Mon 26 Oct, 2009 03:22 pm
@High Seas,
Neperian logarithm, I'd guess..
McTag

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 02:14 am
@Francis,

Quote:
Neperian logarithm, I'd guess..

Yo, Frannie me old mucker, these logs were developed by our Mr Napier and that's why they're called Napierian.
Francis

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 02:29 am
@McTag,
Right, McT.

I should have checked but instead I used everyday's language around here..
McTag

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 02:36 am
@Francis,

We speak of little else in south Manchester.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:40 am
Savoir vivre ...

Quote:
France spent an estimated €171 million during its six-month presidency of the EU compared with an average of €70 million to €80 million, according to the country’s national audit office.

The cost is significantly greater than previous French presidencies of the EU, estimated at €14 million in 1995 and €57 million in 2000.

A dinner for European heads of state to mark the beginning of the Mediterranean summit in Paris in July last year cost €1 million of the summit’s total cost of €16.6 million. Almost €4.4 million was spent on installing, cleaning and disassembling the event; the podium cost €301,208; gardening costs amounted to €194,977; and €91,456 was spent on the carpet, Le Figaro reported.
Source
0 Replies

McTag

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 08:40 am

New President for EU?

George Monbiot's reasons for backing Tony Blair make interesting reading.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/oct/26/making-blair-eu-president-crazy
High Seas

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 02:58 pm
@McTag,
I'm a supporter of Chris Patten, not that anybody asked me! As to those natural logs, my function as stated was of the implicit form, I'd have to work out the explicit one, probably throw in one or two other parameters, stochastic terms and the like.... so much is random in these affairs Smile
McTag

Tue 27 Oct, 2009 04:28 pm
@High Seas,

Chris Patten, sound man, Hong Kong is doing fine.
High Seas

Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:21 pm
@McTag,
I'd gone to see him in Hong-Kong on some business while he was still governor and he won my heart when I walked into his office and saw any number of dogs happily asleep under his desk. When he came back to Europe he settled in France in order to avoid having the dogs suffer through 6 months of this senseless "anti-rabies" quarantine - is that still the law in the UK, btw?
McTag

Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:25 pm
@High Seas,

Yes it is. We prefer to keep the rabid types on the continent.