FOLLOWING THE EUROPEAN UNION

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:39 am
The REPORT BY MR ALVARO GIL-ROBLES, COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS,ON THE EFFECTIVE RESPECT FOR HUMAN RIGHTS IN FRANCE FOLLOWING HIS VISIT FROM 5 TO 21 SEPTEMBER 2005 is altready online since a week (PDF-data).

The Council's report about Guantanamo from last year is still worth reading as well.
(The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe fully supports the recent UN report condemning US detention practices at Guantanamo Bay.)

And as a reminder: the Council of Europe is not at all an EU-institution but the Parlamentray Assembly of ALL European countries: 46 member countries.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:40 am
Well then all 46 can go f##k themselves !
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:42 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Well then all 46 can go f##k themselves !

Hmm, would be all and every country in Europe ... what I'd thought already to be your opinion.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:43 am
The Committee thanks Mr. OB1 for that concise analysis.

<LOL>
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:44 am
OK, 45 -- I'll leave out the Irish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:45 am
georgeob1 wrote:
OK, 45 -- I'll leave out the Irish.

44 - there are some Irish living in Northern Ireland, Manchester and Liverpool as well.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:48 am
Screw Northern Ireland ! The Brits messed it up and they can keep it!

However on reconsideration, I'll leave out the Poles, Danes and Czechs. That, however is as far as I will go.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:50 am
And the anthem of the Council of Europe, I hope: the Ode to Joy!

(Very generous this morning, George! I'll take it as your birthday present for me :wink: )
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:53 am
It was the finale to Beethoven's 9th symphony Beethoven before the Council turned it into a smarmy anthem.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:56 am
Well.... A most happy birthday wish for you Walter ! You are truly a nice guy, interecting, affable, good-natured, utterly likeable .... for a European.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 01:07 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Well.... A most happy birthday wish for you Walter ! You are truly a nice guy, interecting, affable, good-natured, utterly likeable .... for a European.

Thanks, George. (Better than the usual glass pearls anyway.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 01:45 am
Back to Europe.

Quote:
Kosovo pushes for independence as talks begin

By Stephen Castle, Europe Correspondent
Published: 21 February 2006

Serbs and Kosovo Albanians finally came face-to-face around the negotiating table for talks expected to lead to some form of independence for Kosovo.

As the discussions started in Vienna yesterday, the head of the Kosovo Albanian delegation, Lufti Haziri, called for the status of Kosovo to be resolved as soon as possible, adding: "Independence is coming and we are playing a positive role."

The province is still legally part of Serbia and Montenegro, but it has been under UN protection since Nato air strikes forced Serb troops out in 1999.

The negotiations will centre on guarantees that could be offered to the 100,000 Serbs who remain in enclaves in the province. But the issue has raised fierce passions in Belgrade, and Serb negotiators are under pressure to reject any notion of independence for territory considered sacred by Serbian nationalists.

The timing makes the talks particularly sensitive in Serbia, because it is likely to lose its alliance with Montenegro after a referendum in April on dissolving the union of the two countries. But the international community has made little secret of its belief that Kosovo cannot return to its pre-1999 status under the control of Belgrade. That message was delivered with unusual clarity to Serbian politicians by John Sawers, the political director of the Foreign Office, prompting anger in Serbia.

It marks a sharp change since the immediate aftermath of the Nato bombing campaign, when the international community sought to defer discussion of Kosovo's final status.

Formally, Serbia wants the creation of an autonomous Serb entity with strong ties to Belgrade, an idea rejected by Pristina, which has suggested more modest devolution.

Serbs and Kosovo Albanians finally came face-to-face around the negotiating table for talks expected to lead to some form of independence for Kosovo.

As the discussions started in Vienna yesterday, the head of the Kosovo Albanian delegation, Lufti Haziri, called for the status of Kosovo to be resolved as soon as possible, adding: "Independence is coming and we are playing a positive role."

The province is still legally part of Serbia and Montenegro, but it has been under UN protection since Nato air strikes forced Serb troops out in 1999.

The negotiations will centre on guarantees that could be offered to the 100,000 Serbs who remain in enclaves in the province. But the issue has raised fierce passions in Belgrade, and Serb negotiators are under pressure to reject any notion of independence for territory considered sacred by Serbian nationalists.
The timing makes the talks particularly sensitive in Serbia, because it is likely to lose its alliance with Montenegro after a referendum in April on dissolving the union of the two countries. But the international community has made little secret of its belief that Kosovo cannot return to its pre-1999 status under the control of Belgrade. That message was delivered with unusual clarity to Serbian politicians by John Sawers, the political director of the Foreign Office, prompting anger in Serbia.

It marks a sharp change since the immediate aftermath of the Nato bombing campaign, when the international community sought to defer discussion of Kosovo's final status.

Formally, Serbia wants the creation of an autonomous Serb entity with strong ties to Belgrade, an idea rejected by Pristina, which has suggested more modest devolution
Source

BBC: Talks on Kosovo future continue
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 01:46 am
Quote:
Key facts about Kosovo
The Associated Press

February 20, 2006 2:31 PM
Key facts about Kosovo, whose future is the subject of U.N.-mediated talks that opened in Vienna on Monday:

GEOGRAPHY: Kosovo is a province of Serbia-Montenegro, encompassing 4,200 square miles - about the size of Connecticut - bordering Albania and Macedonia. The provincial capital is Pristina. Serbia-Montenegro, with its capital in Belgrade, is a union of the former republics of Serbia and Montenegro that replaced Yugoslavia when that country broke up in the early 1990s.

---

PEOPLE: About 2 million. Ninety percent are ethnic Albanian; most of the remaining 10 percent are Serb.

---

STATUS: Kosovo has been run by the United Nations and NATO since 1999, when Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic's forces were ousted after a NATO air war ended his crackdown on independence-seeking ethnic Albanians.

---

FUTURE: Ethnic Albanians, who say they are descendants of Kosovo's first inhabitants, want Kosovo to become an independent state. Serbs want the province to revert to tighter integration within the Serbia-Montenegro union. Serbs consider Kosovo, the scene of an epic battle between Serbs and Turks in 1389, the birthplace of their identity.

AP-WS-02-20-06 1730EST
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:33 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Thanks, George. (Better than the usual glass pearls anyway.)

Well sometimes I am a bit crabby. However they weren't "glass pearls". I sincerely like and admire you: and I sincerely dislike and reject popular European political views.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:19 am
Quote:
Britons work longer hours than anyone else in Europe

By Barrie Clement, Labour Editor
Published: 23 February 2006

Britons work longer than any other nation in the European Union, an average of 42.5 hours a week, according to figures released in advance of a national "Work Your Proper Hours Day" tomorrow.

Employees in the Netherlands work the least - nearly four hours fewer than we do. Even "accession" countries to the EU, such as Estonia and Slovenia, spend less time at work.

Among the full members of the EU. Britons are also among the least productive. We produce 40 per cent less each hour than employees in Luxembourg.

A culture of "presenteeism" has also led many British workers to forego their holidays. According to union calculations, British companies have built up a massive "holiday debt" owed to employees. Some £14.5bn worth of unclaimed holidays are lost every year, with one in three workers failing to take their entitlement, according to research conducted by workplace consultants Croner.

Estimates also show that in 2005 nearly five million employees worked an average extra day a week in unpaid overtime.

Analysis of official figures by the TUC found that Londoners put in the longest hours, with those doing unpaid overtime working an extra eight hours, 12 minutes a week. Employees in Wales were second in the league with seven hours 48 minutes and those in Northern Ireland worked seven hours 36 minutes.

Brendan Barber, the TUC general secretary, said the Proper Hours day would be a means of drawing attention to the fact that Britonsregularly worked longer hours than their European counterparts. "We don't want to turn into a nation of clock watchers," he said: "Most people don't mind putting in extra effort when there's a rush or an emergency, but that easily turns into the long-hours culture. In smart workplaces, people work fewer hours."

Long hours take their toll. Will Hutton, the chief executive at the Work Foundation, points to research in Europe and the US showing a massive increase in work-related depression. However, this is not universally recognised by employers. Ruth Lea, of the Centre for Policy studies, said: "Stress is the new bad back. Stress is now so trendy and people are now so aware of it that people use it all the time as an excuse for a sickie."

Mr Hutton argues that cases of depression began to rise in the mid 1980s, when the flexible labour market began to take hold.

Many employees work for managers who indulge in a lifestyle characterised as "binge-working". Roffey Park, a research organisation, found that 85 per cent of 1,000 managers questioned claimed to work consistently longer than their contracted working week.

About 24 per cent of men said they worked an additional 15 hours a week. Research shows that employees stay at work longer than purely necessary in an attempt to persuade managers that they share their obsession. In preparation for Proper Hours day, the TUC has set up a special section on its website for those of a subversive turn of mind who want to send their managers a "bossagram".

Employees are asked to supply their manager's e-mail address and he or she will be sent anonymous an e-mail tomorrow morning, urging them to allow their staff to work their basic hours and no more and suggesting employees are taken for a drink after work.

Anne Parsons: 'As the manager, I put in more than most'

Anne Parsons (not her real surname), is a senior marketing and fundraising manager for a medical research and patient care charity in London. Her contracted working week is 35 hours, but she says it is rare for her to work her proper hours.

Most weeks she does between one and five hours of unpaid overtime, but at critical times in her fundraising calendar she can work up to 60 hours a week.

Ms Parsons has often been in the office until 10pm, and on one occasion it was 3am before she left. "When we have to, we put in the hours. We are judged on results and are responsible for most of the organisation's income. My team work long hours but as the manager I tend to put in more than most."

The pressure to hit her targets is constant. "The team puts in the hours to make sure all our fundraising campaigns happen, regardless of what else is happening," she says.

Ms Parsons said she often thought about moving jobs, but is torn between leaving and staying because she enjoys and believes in the work. She says working long hours is common in the charity sector.
Source

My personal experience with charity organisations is nearly the same: I usually worked more than 10 hours/week overtime .... but therefor could stay at home more often, fully paid of course (but not for the overtime).
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:57 am
Quote:

Britons work longer than any other nation in the European Union, an average of 42.5 hours a week, according to figures released in advance of a national "Work Your Proper Hours Day" tomorrow.

[..] Among the full members of the EU. Britons are also among the least productive. We produce 40 per cent less each hour than employees in Luxembourg.

I read the same about the US once. A working culture in which working less than significant overtime is frowned upon means long hours - but productivity is actually lower than (in Europe/the Netherlands, dont remember which). That makes sense to me, kinda - I mean, I do kinda recognize the feeling. If you know you're going to be there long (over)hours anyway, the pressure to use your time as efficiently as possible and work every minute is less, sorta.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:02 am
Quote:

[..] Among the full members of the EU. Britons are also among the least productive. We produce 40 per cent less each hour than employees in Luxembourg.

I read the same about the US once. A working culture in which working less than significant overtime is frowned upon means long hours - but productivity is actually lower than (in Europe/the Netherlands, dont remember which). That makes sense to me, kinda - I mean, I do kinda recognize the feeling. If you know you're going to be there long (over)hours anyway, the pressure to use your time as efficiently as possible and work every minute is less, sorta.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:54 am
Is this guy nuts?
http://www.lewrockwell.com/latulippe/latulippe64.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
I suppose, the Netherlands was the country where citizens loved their Finance Minister last weekend: he asked them (= citizens of 62 municipalities) not to pay property tax.

But then ...

Quote:
Zalm considered resigning after property tax gaffe

Source
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:21 pm
i'll move that the city of kingston become a protectorate of the netherlands !
we already have a vice-consul of the netherlands here, we should take the next step.
down with taxes ! hbg
0 Replies