ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:52 pm
Ok, ok, nag, nag, nag, Dag.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 09:56 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Also..

I figure it would be fun to be close to the heart of the Hague, wherever that is, re the life of the city...

but you're good with the bicycle. You more than perhaps many other visitors might be able to use that to get a fair place a bit further away?
(Probably avoid the town that seems to be named Monster on the map I saw. Or else pick that on purpose.)

that's a good point. anything within half an hour biking distance is fine. that's what i did in vienna and loved it every day.... but i have no idea what's where, what city quarters are good to live in, and such. I'll ask nimh, he's a haagian.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:01 pm
Plus, of course, winter happens. I don't know how that goes either - but a tram route might be nice as a neighbor.

Nimh is a Haagian? I thought Utrecht, but that's probably only a glimmer. That's good news..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:10 pm
Excuse me if I'm all over this, it is my idea of a kind of joy. I probably should have organized my life more around traversing the earth, but then, would I get such simple pleasure about starting to know (never knowing, really ever) places. It's quite primitive, my pleasure at looking at the Hague/Haag map, moving from Hague to Haag, and then the map with the key stuff on it.. and the expectation that through you I will get to know this place more but

not just that, to switch off from user mode, the company of you and those you describe.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:18 pm
haha, thanks osso, i can use as many helping eyes as i can get. i've been eying the apartments for hours now. i am really loving an idea of a little studio or one bedroom apartment....thus i may have to suck up some distance.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:19 pm
oh, and off course i will post all about my arrival and settling in and all. i'm sure there will be stories to tell.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 10:49 pm
I did of course mean couchsurfing to be a very temporary measure until you found your feet over there.

It may be worth joining the couchsurfing Den Haag group just for the information locals can supply dag. Possibly members may be willing to look or give advice on areas/houses you are considering and report back to you.

I'm glad some of the links were useful. I'll leave looking for a gym etc up to you.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:01 pm
interesting. i am looking into it. i'm kinda introvert-ish and don't know if i'd be up for couch surfing, it would be a bit stressful for me, but it might be a great way to meet people. especially since meetup.com did not produce much in the hague area.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:09 pm
I...r..r.....re...registered Shocked scary! Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2008 11:36 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
I...r..r.....re...registered Shocked scary! Smile

It takes a while to find your way around the couchsurfing site so ask me if you have trouble.
Better results will be had if you are Varified. that means making a donation to the project via credit card. I've done so and had no trouble but this seems like a lot of work to go to if you just want a few local contacts in the Netherlands.

The way to get the most out of couchsurfing seems to be start small and local. There will most proably be a Boston group that has local meet ups.
yes here tis, http://www.couchsurfing.com/group.html?gid=664

Join the Boston group, go to some local meet ups, get some references. Once you have some references from people you have actually met it all becomes a little easier.

join the Den Haag group and post messages about your move. When you get there go to a few meet ups and Voila! instant friends to show you around.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 04:04 pm
I have a scheduled def...d... can't say it. that would surely jinx it. NOT now! i didn't say anything, carry on. nothing to see here.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:08 pm
http://www.oil-paintings-art.com/images/images%20Buddha%20art/Buddha050.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 05:17 pm
@dagmaraka,
<grin>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:13 pm
@dagmaraka,
Oh my goodness!

If there was anything happening then I would wish you luck, but since there isn't, I won't. Though I would. If it were.
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 06:18 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Oh my goodness!

If there was anything happening then I would wish you luck, but since there isn't, I won't. Though I would. If it were.

I would thank you, if, you know, there was anything going on to be wished luck for.
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:40 pm
@dagmaraka,
I had prepared for a knockdown about an equation I derived for predictions of product yield (how much oil per ft) based upon several in ground factors and time sequencing and earth tides. The fight never came because my entire committee wasnt certain and didnt want me not to publish and get chewed up in the lit. I fooled em. I didnt publish because I got sucked up by an oil company and didnt get back to it for several years whensomeone else carried it further and credited me (via ANn ARbor).

DOnt be afraid of defenses, you know more about the subject of your diss than anyone in the whole damn building.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:02 pm
@farmerman,
I didn't have a diss defense to do but I did have "orals" for my boards. First time I've ever been ice cold in a waiting room.
Knock 'em dead and break a leg, possibly using the leg for the knocking, if you happen some time in the future to be involved in this sort of thing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:42 pm
I'm not afraid of the defense, oral presentations are actually one of my biggest strengths in life. I'm worried that the committee will not be able to convene again...getting them to agree on a date is like herding cats. with rabies.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:45 pm
@dagmaraka,
not rabies!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 12:36 am
There will be one day all can agree on.

(I've always thought the defence was the easiest part ... until I was sitting on the opposite side of the student Wink )