How did you get a google page rank of 6, in 3 easy steps :)

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:55 pm
Hi Craven! If you're willing to share (and you said you would, you nice person!) then this might be the place to ask how you were able to get a nice page rank in a relatively short amount of time. I think we all know google CLAIMS your page rank is determined by the links to your site, the more links the better, along with the relevance of the sites that link to you - so my crappy site would do nothing for you, while a link from e-bay would probably give you a page rank of 9 all by itself (geez, they'll probably start auctioning off links soon).
So any pearls about how to get/increase a page rank would be appreciated. I'll wager registering in many applicable categories of dmoz probably comes to mind....
Thanks!
Gary
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,422 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 04:01 pm
LOL, I already explained it in another thread but you added a few questions.

Any inbound link will help you. With few exceptions (like guestbook spamming, some topsites and other "services" that exchange links for you).

If you are in doubt about a way to exchange I'll tell you whether google blacklists them or not.

Sites that have good page rank will help your page rank of course but there is more than just that.

I am 99% sure that Google's current algo strongly favors DMOZ and yahoo links. My PR here is almost entirely due to the DMOZ listings.

Now getting from 6 to 7 is VERY hard. And it gets harder and harder after that.

There are very few sites that have over an 8. One link from a site with a PR of 10 won't do it.

Check out my tutorial on pagerank (something about democracy or a dart...) and lemme know if you want any other info.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 02:28 am
well i had submitted my site in DMOZ a month ago.. but that is still not there..
but i m already indexed in every major search engine..

But not yet hv good rank..
wht do u think abt my situation..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 11:44 am
Your site doesn't have enough content to be approved to DMOZ. I will later write a tutorial on DMOZ submission but I have written a phpBB SEO MOD for you.

Please ask your questions there.
0 Replies

RickyJaff

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 10:55 pm
Well .. that's allright.. it is new.. and it will get contents in next few months.. its been only 26 dayz running my site..

IF i got my content increased in next 3-6 month will that automatically add that or i hv to again submit it to DMOZ ??
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 01:30 am
You will have to submit again. It's better to wait till it's likely to be accepted.
0 Replies

graziano

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 06:23 am
I am here , and I am appreciating this forum . Especially I am surprised on how many important information Craven is sharing with us , thank you again Craven.

I agree , site listed on Dmoz get more consideration on Google listing.
However I tried to submit one of my site at least 50 times in latest 2 years , and they never , never accepted it .

It seems like the dmoz editor on that category doesn't exist .

I really hope to read a guide about Dmoz Razz

Thank you 1000000000!
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:16 am
i'm pretty sure craven would say,
1. "don't speak for me"
and
2. If you overlist on dmoz, you'll get bumped, that you should submit your listings at most every few months
whatcha think craven - good craven substitute? Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
Pretty good. ;-)

Getting in depends on the type of site, if it's a commercial themed site for example it will be harder.

What is the focus of the site?
0 Replies

graziano

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:09 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Pretty good. ;-)

Getting in depends on the type of site, if it's a commercial themed site for example it will be harder.

What is the focus of the site?

It's related to web hosting and of course is a commercial site.
I have not overlisted . I think about 50 times (don't know exactly) , but I always waited a reasonable time between 2 submission . Fo r example I submitted the site,I waited 1 month and nothing , submited again 1 month later , nothing , submited again 1 month later , nothing , submited again 1 month later , nothing ...... Sad

I am trying to submit exactly here
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Development/Hosting/C/ since my site is hosting related and the domain name/company name starts with "C" .

Tried and re-tried , nothing to do .As it seems now there is no editor , however in the last month there was one .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:14 pm
Even if there is no editor there will be an editor for a parent category.

The webdesigner categories are competitive, there is a strong posssibility that you simply will not be accepted. They reject most web design and hosting sites.
0 Replies

graziano

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

"They reject most web design and hosting sites"

Sorry , but it's a search engine , and the category should contain hosting
companies with c letter . My company has this caractheristic , why it should not be listed ? Sorry but I cannot understand , is it a search engine or what Surprised . Really confused.
The list contains also domain names which are for sale for example
http://www.calihost.com . Have still to understand what's wrong with my domain name Question
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:30 pm
DMOZ is not a search engine. And not even search engines will list all sites.

Look, I wish all web design sites would be accepted too. I have one I'd like in there. I'm just telling it like it is. The simple truth is that they will reject most new webdesign sites. They are selective there and they want established sites.

And you can expect more of the same, Looksmart's directory won't accept you in commercial categories at all unless you pay a fee.

:-(
0 Replies

graziano

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:36 pm
My site in on businees from 2 years and google rates it 4 .

I submitted another commercial and new site (domain name registration)
and Dmoz registered it when the domain name was 2 months of life.
I think it's only an editor choice Evil or Very Mad , unluckly .

Sorry , is it not a search engine ? How do you classify Dmoz :wink: ?
I could be happy to pay a fee to be listed on Dmoz , but unluckly there is not this possibility too .
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:37 pm
reading along
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:41 pm
graziano wrote:
Sorry , is it not a search engine ? How do you classify Dmoz :wink: ?

They classify themselves as a "human-reviewed directory".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:46 pm
graziano wrote:

I think it's only an editor choice Evil or Very Mad , unluckly .

Exactly, and despite the fact that DMOZ tries to select edtors well they are sometimes corrupt, and will sometimes only accept sites if they get paid to do so.

This is particularly common in the web design and hosting categories.

I don't want to suggest that this is what happened to you, I have no evidence to point to that conclusion. What I'm saying is that this is just a fact of life we have to work around. No site has an obligation to include any of our sites.

Google has been sued for penalizing a SEO site that sold ways to improve page rank. The complaint was that given Google's market share their penalizations are an unfair damage to business.

Google won that suit by claiming their page rank is free speech.

I expect more battles in the future about inclusion, but for now we need to live with the status quo.

And the status quo is that commercial sites (especially hosting and web design) are better off using commercial advertising instead of free SEM.
0 Replies

drakhl

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 02:21 am
I've submitted my site to both yahoo and DMOZ probably around three times now..Only in the last 2 months has it really taken off in terms of content. However, the site is possibly one of the most content rich I've seen, as I have pieces of writing numbering over 75, and 66 members to the credit of the site, forums, and other things as well...DMOZ and Yahoo still arent listing my site..I was looking at the category I was submitting to, and it hasn't been updated since the beginning of October, heh. Seems like DMOZ doesn't add too many sites, even if they are good...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:18 am
I don't know why you think that qualifies as "content rich". But it is true that sometimes DMOZ categories are dormant.
0 Replies

murphyz

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:51 am
I just went to DMOZ to see what it is all about and one of my websites is already listed. Do they only work on submissions? I didn't submit my site and doubt any of my members did.

hmm

Mxx
0 Replies