Respect

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:48 pm
I try, I really do. I sometimes slip up though.....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:27 pm
truth
I'd much rather suffer being attacked than bear the guilt and shame of having humiliated someone unjustly. Very often PC stands for personal courtesy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:03 pm
yay to JL!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:20 am
Quote:
Phoenix......I believe you are referring to the Ad Hominem attack!!

shepaints- Exactly right!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:15 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Too much is not "probably" negative it IS negative. Determining what is and is not too much is a horse of a different color.

I agree! Guess I should have noted that.

When I was corrected yesterday -- it definitely was not "too much." I deserved to be corrected -- and I'm glad it happened.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:14 am
so what to do when someone clearly is being rude/deliberately rude/deliberately provocative?

everyone sucks it up/ignores the poster/prays/hopes they will go away?

that doesn't seem to work either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:29 am
Name it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:44 am
I think it's the thing to do, but I also know I won't do it here.

The whole respect thing is tricky. I would want to comment on specific actions, not personas, but often the idea of teasing that out/phrasing it just right is simply too fatiguing. So I go back to ignoring, which has major frustrations.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:00 am
BTW -- I think we all have to recognize that sometimes the substance of what you have to say is such that people to whom you are saying it are going to be offended -- whether the remark is meant to offend -- or merely to share information.

I discuss religion a lot.

There are times where I am sharing my opinion of the god described in the Bible. (It is not a very favorable opinion!)

How do I share what I truly feel without offending?

Should sharing what one truly feels be considered a lack of respect?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:10 am
I realize that some folks, some of the time like the ‘rush’ and excitement of a heated exchange. That’s fine as long as others are willing and know what’s happening which isn’t always the case.

It’s up to each of us whether to “take the hook” or “bate the hook” and/or engage in that manner.

And I do think the size of ones ego can be indicated by how much their hair stands on end when insulted, attacked or in a disagreement. And it can be a bit of a shock.

But engaging is always a choice, even if a conditioned choice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:22 am
Er, yeah, by that definition I'd be impoverished, and am, um, rather far from it at the moment...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 10:58 am
Some people have skills in baiting. c.i.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 12:08 pm
It might facilitate some folks here ( maybe the whole community) if there was a "rant corner", which would be a place to go to let out any anger.

e.g. So and so said 'this' on 'this' thread. What jerk, what an asshole, etc.etc.

That way, disagreements that get nasty on threads would not highjack that thread with those side issues but would be taken to the appropriate place, the "rant corner" or "barbecue pit" whatever it might be called........
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 12:11 pm
Anybody see Rodney Dangerfield lately? Wink c .i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 12:13 pm
I tell you, I get no respect at all. Last week, my wife told me we needed to hire a pool boy. We don't even have a pool!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
Hmmmmmm....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:33 pm
and just last week my wife told me she was leaving me to go live with the pool girl she hired to clean the pool we never had. (she even woke me up to say goodbye)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
so what to do when someone clearly is being rude/deliberately rude/deliberately provocative?

Good question. But it ignores many factors like:

There is rarely only one person being rude. What normally happens is two (or more) people being rude and all parties insisting that either they wern't rude or that they didn't start it.

ehBeth wrote:

everyone sucks it up/ignores the poster/prays/hopes they will go away?

that doesn't seem to work either.

Eventually (I'm thinking around Christmas time) there will be a "ignore user" feature and possibly other technical features.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:41 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
BTW -- I think we all have to recognize that sometimes the substance of what you have to say is such that people to whom you are saying it are going to be offended -- whether the remark is meant to offend -- or merely to share information.

I discuss religion a lot.

There are times where I am sharing my opinion of the god described in the Bible. (It is not a very favorable opinion!)

How do I share what I truly feel without offending?

Should sharing what one truly feels be considered a lack of respect?

No need to pull punches at all.

If you want to say God is a stupid insipid intellectually bankrupt construct many would be offended. But that is decidedly within the TOS.

Now if you append "and you are dumbass for believeing in it" then you would have breached the TOS.

It may seem like a silly way to define things but try to differentiate ad hominems from simply passionate debate and you'll see why it's a useful criteria.

It's indeed very possible to be quite an ass without breaking the TOS. But there are certain things that have little in way of "grey area" like obvious flaming that involves vulgar insults.

With sarcasm and such it's possible to be quite mean. But quantifying that is simply not easy. It's very easy to say don't call each otehr assholes and those types of things are more likely to draw attention.

A simple rule for those who want to debate passionately (here's my secret to being an ass):

Focus on the arguments. Attack them and stomp them into the ground. But avoid directing your passion at your opponent.

"That is the stupidest argument on earth"

IS different from

"You are the stupidest person on earth"

Both are treated VERY differently by the moderating team.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:19 am
Craven

Your remarks have been noted -- and I will try my best to remember them when I am in one of my snits.

I thank you for them. You made lots of sense.
0 Replies