Can't access computers applications

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:34 pm
OK, what did I do here?

I just sat down to pay some bills online, and when I do I always open this excel spreadsheet along with it to record what I've done, for my records.

every time I go to open excel, I can't open any files, if a start a new file, I can't click on any cell, and when I go to exit out I get that message that....blah blah blah, not responding, end now? I tried opening Word and PowerPoint, same thing.

I'm gonna run a virus scan, etc.....but why would I be unable to access an actual program on my computer?

damn.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 664 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:38 pm
Presumably, you've tried re-booting.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 05:51 pm
Sounds like your computer is having memory resource problems. Have you tried using Excel with all other applications closed after rebooting?

If that works, then we know it isn't an Excel problem. Now try opening your spreadsheet. If the problem recurs, there is probably a stray entry in a remote corner of your spreadsheet that is expanding the size of the file needlessly. If the problem does not recur, now try accessing the internet. Any problems once you're connected? No? Now open the banking website you use to pay bills. Still no problems? Rebooting may have cured the problem.

If problem still persists, is there any mention on the website about a revision in the bill paying software? The bill paying software may have a memory leak that is causing the problem. Have you tried loading the bill paying software without the Excel program open (after rebooting again)?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:04 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Ah Brandon, if I only were so intelligent.

After posting, I went ahead and rebooted, seemed to be working fine then. Did a scan anyway.

Guess I was too full of turkey.

Thanks to you too butflynet....

naw, the excel file I just made up myself...not connected to any site.

just needed to reboot/burp/fart.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:39 pm
B-net--

What a spectacular avatar!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:07 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Ah Brandon, if I only were so intelligent.

After posting, I went ahead and rebooted, seemed to be working fine then. Did a scan anyway.

Guess I was too full of turkey.

Thanks to you too butflynet....

naw, the excel file I just made up myself...not connected to any site.

just needed to reboot/burp/fart.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I've done remote PC support before, and I found that simply re-booting the PC solved about half of the cases.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
0 Replies