Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit (etc)

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 12:16 am
Has anyone seen the Borat film yet? I was a fan of Borat as a character on the Ali-G show, but dubious whether it would be funny enough for a whole film. Some parts made me close my eyes and cringe, some scenes nearly had me wetting myself. Not the most cerebral film I've ever seen, but definitely one of the funniest.

I understand that law suits have been filed by some of the (unknowing) participants, but have also heard that everyone featured gave their consent to be included.

Any thoughts on the film? Or any thoughts on this style of film - Jackass comes to mind (and I admit I am a Jackass fan)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,507 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:38 am
Haven't seen the film yet, but several of my friends have. They all say it's in very bad taste but hilarious. I'm generally not a huge fan of low-brow scatological and ethnic-oriented humor so I've been holding off on seeing it. What's your take on it?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:37 am
You like movie film of my brother, yes?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:46 am
I saw it last night and loved it.

The fight scene! Sublime!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:50 am
Borat Sister wrote:
You like movie film of my brother, yes?

Greetings please Borat sister. Borat is good at making sex?
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 01:03 am
Hello greetings!

But you ask much stupid question.

I not make sex with brother Borat so I do not know how good brother Borat make sex.

He say much often he make the sex like the male horse..how you say? Like the stallone?

But Borat man. All men say they make sex like the male stallone horse. But much often they make sex like the how yousay? Like the wet noodle? You know....no stand up much....lie down noodle.

But you like the film movie of brother Borat?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 01:04 am
Haven't seen it, Grand Duke, but good to see you back. Are you here to stay, this time.
0 Replies

Tarnished Angel

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 08:04 pm
I haven't seen it yet but definitely intend to. Read some of the dialogue from the film on IMDB. Its hilarious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 03:40 am
Come on!!!

There must be other people who have seen the film and wish to discuss it!!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:02 am
I think there are now three threads regarding this film.......

This one.....
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2253002&highlight=borat#2253002

And this........

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83538&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=borat&start=0
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:32 am

Damned know it all British effete person...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:38 am
dlowan wrote:

BEPs, not poms?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:59 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
dlowan wrote:

BEPs, not poms?

Damned smartarse Latvian person.
0 Replies

divx712

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
The best comedy I've ever seen, can't wait to see next one from Sasha.
0 Replies

researching

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:15 pm
Now was this film a good film or WHAT? OMG, I can't say I am a film fan (only have gone to the cinema like 5 times in my whole life time and I am in my early 20s) but this film just got me so up and all over the place with laughter it was ridiculous - and no I wasn't drunk, despite the fact I watched it on New Years Eve day.

The rest of the cinema loved it too, evidenced by the fact that three boys sitting behind me kept spraying the back of my neck with lemonade and popcorn because they were laughing so hard as well...but I was too, and didn't have the energy to care about that.

It was a good film. What more can I say?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:53 pm
You like'ah sexy time?
0 Replies

official

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 04:37 am
I loved this movie, probably the best I have ever seen by far. Maybe not "best" but funniest for sure!
0 Replies

Tarnished Angel

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 10:02 pm
Borat make a sexy time
I'm adding to this forum a little late but I have seen Borat (repeated viewings over a short period) and found it both brilliant and poorly constructed. The character of Borat, with his jargon (make a sexy time etc.) is superb and Baron Sacha Cohen is quite an actor. The parts where he's dealing with real Americans like the car dealer, women's lib members etc are great moments of comedy and on the strength of these scenes could have made this the funniest film of all time.

The major weakness is in the poorly structured plot. The whole Pam Anderson kidnapping thing didn't work for me. If he had made his comments about this CJ in her water panties with a**hole of a nine year old boy and left it at that and continued meeting other Americans instead of trying to get some resolution to that plot point, I think the film would have ended well.

I still consider it on par with other great comedies like Dr.Strangelove, Big Lebowski and This Is Spinal Tap. Theres a new movie out called Superbad. It seems funny and the reviews Ebert etc. are giving are good. Can't go to the cinema though coz of my kid (I think its MA or R).....
0 Replies