Avenue of the Americas or Sixth Avenue in New York City

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:09 am
Why the name Avenue of the Americas for Sixth Avenue in New York City?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,549 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:26 am
There are various takes on this; but, as a good starting point take a journey over to Sixth Avenue/AveAmericas-History
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 01:38 am
I haven't checked out Sturgis' link. It may provide the same information. If so, sorry.

The Avenue of the Americas was originally called Sixth Avenue. It was renamed Avenue of the Americas. However, most New Yorkers didn't care what the city named the street. They knew it as Sixth Avenue and continued to call it that despite the new name. This caused some confusion. I remember encountering some tourists who had walked from Seventh Avenue to Fifth Avenue and back again, looking for Sixth Avenue. The street signs all said "Avenue of the Americas." In order to eliminate some of the confusion and accommodate the stubbornness of New Yorkers, the city hung street signs that said "Sixth Avenue" along with the signs for Avenue of the Americas.
0 Replies

Computerman

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 06:59 am
2 Different Streets
They're two different streets. Try Wikipedia.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 10:11 am
Not according to my check of Wikipedia - or my eyeballs when I've been in New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_of_the_Americas
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 01:05 pm
Avenue of the Americas is real. I've seen it myself. Try getting directions to Houston Street in NY, by pronouncing it Hyooston, instead of House-ton.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 01:27 pm
Sixth Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas are not two different streets. If you're on this street and look up at the street sign, you'll see two street signs for the one avenue. Worked there for 19 years.

Osso, You've restored my faith in widipedia--and in eyeballs.

Edgar, Yup, Houston is pronounced House-ton. Don't know why.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:33 am
Sturgis' link from the Avenue Of The Americas Association gives incomplete information.

It is possible that the Sixth Avenue Association might have been lobbying for the name, but the immediate reason the name change was considered was that back in the sixties, Kennedy or Johnson- I forget which-signed an agreement with Latin American nations for greater cooperation.

They needed something to commemorate that, The Sixth Avenue Association wanted a name upgrade, sooooo......

Whereupon, despite the Sixth Avenue Association's lobbying, it became a matter of city pride that anyone fromthe city NEVER called it Avenue of the Americas. Ever.

Hmmm. Wikipedia says that the name officially changed in 1945, which would correspond to the time the Organization Of American States was born out of the Pan-american Union. Oh well. I do remember specifically that the sixties saw some great emphasis on using the name instead of Sixth Avenue, and some trade agreement with Latin America at the time was the reason.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:44 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Sturgis' link from the Avenue Of The Americas Association gives incomplete information.

It is possible that the Sixth Avenue Association might have been lobbying for the name, but the immediate reason the name change was considered was that back in the sixties, Kennedy or Johnson- I forget which-signed an agreement with Latin American nations for greater cooperation.

They needed something to commemorate that, The Sixth Avenue Association wanted a name upgrade, sooooo......

Whereupon, despite the Sixth Avenue Association's lobbying, it became a matter of city pride that anyone fromthe city NEVER called it Avenue of the Americas. Ever.

Hmmm. Wikipedia says that the name officially changed in 1945, which would correspond to the time the Organization Of American States was born out of the Pan-american Union. Oh well. I do remember specifically that the sixties saw some great emphasis on using the name instead of Sixth Avenue, and some trade agreement with Latin America at the time was the reason.

A)I was offering a starting point
B)Your statements are contradictory to themselves.
0 Replies