Know Thy Enemy

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
Despite the words "humane society" on its letterhead, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is not affiliated with your local animal shelter. Despite the omnipresent dogs and cats in its fundraising materials, it's not an organization that runs spay/neuter programs or takes in stray, neglected, and abused pets. And despite the common image of animal protection agencies as cash-strapped organizations dedicated to animal welfare, HSUS has become the wealthiest animal rights organization on earth.

HSUS is big, rich, and powerful, a "humane society" in name only. And while most local animal shelters are under-funded and unsung, HSUS has accumulated $113 million in assets and built a recognizable brand by capitalizing on the confusion its very name provokes. This misdirection results in an irony of which most animal lovers are unaware: HSUS raises enough money to finance animal shelters in every single state, with money to spare, yet it doesn't operate a single one anywhere.

Instead, HSUS spends millions on programs that seek to economically cripple meat and dairy producers; eliminate the use of animals in biomedical research labs; phase out pet breeding, zoos, and circus animal acts; and demonize hunters as crazed lunatics. HSUS spends $2 million each year on travel expenses alone, just keeping its multi-national agenda going.

HSUS president Wayne Pacelle described some of his goals in 2004 for The Washington Post: "We will see the end of wild animals in circus acts … [and we're] phasing out animals used in research. Hunting? I think you will see a steady decline in numbers." More recently, in a June 2005 interview, Pacelle told Satya magazine that HSUS is working on "a guide to vegetarian eating, to really make the case for it." A strict vegan himself, Pacelle added: "Reducing meat consumption can be a tremendous benefit to animals."

Shortly after Pacelle joined HSUS in 1994, he told Animal People (an inside-the-movement watchdog newspaper) that his goal was to build "a National Rifle Association of the animal rights movement." And now, as the organization's leader, he's in a position to back up his rhetoric with action. In 2005 Pacelle announced the formation of a new "Animal Protection Litigation Section" within HSUS, dedicated to "the process of researching, preparing, and prosecuting animal protection lawsuits in state and federal court."

HSUS's current goals have little to do with animal shelters. The group has taken aim at the traditional morning meal of bacon and eggs with a tasteless "Breakfast of Cruelty" campaign. Its newspaper op-eds demand that consumers "help make this a more humane world [by] reducing our consumption of meat and egg products." Since its inception, HSUS has tried to limit the choices of American consumers, opposing dog breeding, conventional livestock and poultry farming, rodeos, circuses, horse racing, marine aquariums, and fur trapping.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,068 • Replies: 37
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:43 am
Still smarting about losing that election, huh?

Well, assuming for the sake of argument that these positions are correct-- and I can make no judgement concerning their veracity given the complete dearth of evidence presented here-- they sound like the flipside of the National Rifle Association (which, along with their effrontery in helping to keep you from shooting doves in your own backyard, explains your apparent animosity) and just as extreme.

Still, if the life's blood of democracy is the clash of opinions, then I submit that their counterpoint to the NRA drumbeat is actually beneficial. When extreme opinions collide, the common (and common sense) ground for most Americans is usually found in the middle.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:32 am
Hello enemy.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:33 am
I'm sorry that you hate and fear the democratic process.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:37 am
No, I hate assholes who manipulate the democratic process with distortions and outright lies, like the organization you continually defend.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:39 am
Unlike the truth-tellers at the NRA, right?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:40 am
Absolutely. Mr. Pacelle, you are an idiot.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:56 am
And you are one dangerously lost ass.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:29 am
Lost, but not alone-- unfortunately!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:59 am
snood wrote:
And you are one dangerously lost ass.

That's funny, I was just trying to get away from these creeps following me around.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:01 pm
Anytime you post on a thread after me, I don't imagine you're following me around. Add paranoid to your list of psychoses/neuroses.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Dude, I avoid your threads like the plague. They are, after all, infested with mites.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
Hmm, your debating skills haven't improved any, have they? Maybe you should try posting actual facts, instead of posting your rather odd opinions and then screeching at any who disagree.

Just a thought...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:42 pm
BS, if you had any idea what you were talking about, you still wouldn't be dangerous.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:03 pm
On numerous occasions I have invited you to demonstrate that you, in fact, know what you're talking about. In each instance, you either have shown decidedly that you have no actual grasp of the facts, that you are hopelessly incapable of discussing the actual facts or that your idea of the best response is childish name-calling.

Since you have again demonstrated your incapacity at debating your own point, I am forced to conclude that your have no real evidence to reinforce your opening statement.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:11 pm
There are no debatable points in my first post. There are no lies, distortions, or attempts to change the facts.

Note that it doesn't say "HSUS is run by a bunch of vegan anti-establishment anarchists who think beasts should have the same rights under the law as humans", but even if it did, it still isn't a debatable point.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:19 pm
But you don't give facts, at least not any supported by evidence. You post what appears to be either your opinion or unsupported statements. Then you get all beaky when someone takes issue with any part of the post instead of posting evidence to bolster your point.

In any case, my point is that even if we assume your opening statement is true-- although it may or may not be-- they appear to be just as much an extremist advocacy group as the NRA. Again let me reiterate, because you seem to have glossed over this point in your haste to begin hurling epithets, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A clash of divergent views can often result in the establishment of a reasonable middle ground on any given issue.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:49 pm
The NRA is not an extremist group... unless you are from California.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
Well Sparky, if you can have an opinion about the HSUS, then I'm entitled to one about the NRA.

It's how that pesky free speech thing works....
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:12 pm
Re: Know Thy Enemy
In general:

What do you mean by the word 'extremist', and why is it necessarily a pejorative term?

To cjhsa: your opening post implies that the actions of the HSUS are morally questionable. Can you explain why you think it is wrong to oppose "dog breeding, conventional livestock and poultry farming, rodeos, circuses, horse racing, marine aquariums, and fur trapping"?
0 Replies