Unbelievers: Do you participate in Easter? Christmas?

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:13 am
To Unbelievers:

If your place of employment offers time off work for Easter - do you partcipate?

How about Christmas?

Do you accept a Christmas bonus (if offered)?

If yes to any of these: Why

If yes - do you consider this to be hypocritical?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,060 • Replies: 214
No top replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:20 am
Yes I do.

Why? 'Cos I want to, that's why.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
Nope, not at all. Your Easter is my celebration of Spring and your Christmas is my celebration of Winter.

Do you enjoy the beauty and feeling of renewal of Spring flowers?

How about a crisp, Winter morning, do you hold your breath and listen to the quiet sound of snow falling?

The company I last worked for didn't hand out "Christmas" bonuses. We got "year-end bonuses after the holidays.

If you get an incentive bonus, do you turn it down because it wasn't held and given to you at Christmas?

We also got Personal Days off. Would taking a Personal Day off just for kicks and not for some religious event make you feel hypocritical?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
I don't work, but I can still answer your question. When I did work, I did not work on Sundays, so it was not an issue. If I did work on Sundays, I would have worked, in order to fill in for a Christian collegue, so that she could have time off on her holiday. In the past, I have worked on Good Friday, and took another day off, for the same reason.

A bonus is a bonus. The fact that some companies tie the bonus into Christmas, is besides the point.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:54 am
Quote:
Nope, not at all.
Fair.

Quote:
Your Easter is my celebration of Spring and your Christmas is my celebration of Winter.
Interesting. So your company offers Spring and Winter celebrations. What are the dates of those celebrations? Do they coincide with the dates of Easter & Christmas?

Quote:
Do you enjoy the beauty and feeling of renewal of Spring flowers?
Absolutely.

Quote:
How about a crisp, Winter morning, do you hold your breath and listen to the quiet sound of snow falling?
I wish - however it doesn't snow a lot where I live. I am a bit envious of that though.

Quote:
If you get an incentive bonus, do you turn it down because it wasn't held and given to you at Christmas?
We do not receive incentive bonuses. We do receive Christmas bonuses though - and they are labeled as such.

Quote:
We also got Personal Days off. Would taking a Personal Day off just for kicks and not for some religious event make you feel hypocritical?

No - why should it? Confused
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:55 am
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Yes I do.

If yes - do you consider this to be hypocritical? :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:57 am
Yes. In return, I did not demand Veterans Day as a holiday.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:02 am
"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother's eye"
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:04 am
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?

Because, as you may know, NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/961/spanishinq0go.jpg

"Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:04 am
Where is the hypocracy? These are national holidays. So, we're supposed to be discriminated against in the workplace for not subscribing to one of the more common religions
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:09 pm
baddog1 wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Yes I do.

If yes - do you consider this to be hypocritical? :wink:

No.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:19 pm
Re: Unbelievers: Do you participate in Easter? Christmas?
baddog1 wrote:
To Unbelievers:

If your place of employment offers time off work for Easter - do you partcipate?

How about Christmas?

Yes to all your questions. Though even while I was an active "christian" I didn't "celebrate" those holidays. However, if they offered me a day off with pay, yeah I'll take that. A christmas bonus... sure, why not? I don't think it's hypocritical. It's not like I went to them demanding they give me time off or a bonus. They did that of their free will, and I accepted.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:25 pm
I'm a Christian. And I really have difficulties to accept that our highest holidays heathen solemnities.

But taking the holidays as the come makes fun.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:30 pm
We don't get Sundays or holidays off. We don't get a Christmas bonus. We don't even have holiday decorations in my workplace.

But sometimes people bring in Christmas cookies or leftover Halloween candy, and I eat it. I also have a family dinner with my in-laws when I happen to be off on the holiday. Does that make me a hypocrite?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:43 pm
I find this amusingly ironic. After the Puritans in Parliament had executed Charles I (January, 1649), they stopped observing the holidays which had been common when the Church of England had been the established religion. When Christmas rolled around 11 months later, the Parliament sat (the rump of the Parliament, at least, after Pride's Purge) and made the public statement that "Christmas" is just another day. They were sufficiently well-educated to know that holidays (Holy Days) such as Easter and Christmas are based upon pagan observances.

But it is significant that they made a public statement--they were aware that people wanted to and would observe the holiday. When i was in the army, i often worked such holidays so that others could have the day off, and got perks for doing so. In civilian life, it was often not even a matter of working on such holidays, the business would be closed, so a "pagan" could not work on such a day even if they wanted to do so. In Columbus, Ohio, there is a large discount department store chain owned by a Jewish family which is closed Saturdays, and open on Sundays. No one pays any attention to that sort of thing, and why should they? What would make them hypocrits? That they didn't go to extraordinary lengths to make a nuisance of themselves to their employers? This is tommyrot.

I've always taken what you call a "Chrismas bonus." These are annual performance bonuses, and in my experience, reflect your value to the company. They get passed out at Christmas time because most people feel the need for some extra cash at that time of the year. If you want to call that hypocricy help yourself, but my employer had better recognize my contribution annually just as is done for everyone else, that's simple justice, even if some christian gobshite is howling about hypocricy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
I always wondered why I didn't get a Magha Puja Day bonus.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:15 pm
Re: Unbelievers: Do you participate in Easter? Christmas?
baddog1 wrote:
To Unbelievers:

How about Christmas?

Participate? not so much. But the building's locked down some days for other people's celebrations so I can't get in.

I accept an annual performance bonus when it's offered. It's been a while since I worked somewhere that did this at the end of the year. Perhaps 20 - 25 years.

Hypocritical? no.

I get a bonus for the quality of my work, not for any "Christian" reason.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
I find this amusingly ironic. After the Puritans in Parliament had executed Charles I (January, 1649), they stopped observing the holidays which had been common when the Church of England had been the established religion. When Christmas rolled around 11 months later, the Parliament sat (the rump of the Parliament, at least, after Pride's Purge) and made the public statement that "Christmas" is just another day. They were sufficiently well-educated to know that holidays (Holy Days) such as Easter and Christmas are based upon pagan observances.

But it is significant that they made a public statement--they were aware that people wanted to and would observe the holiday. When i was in the army, i often worked such holidays so that others could have the day off, and got perks for doing so. In civilian life, it was often not even a matter of working on such holidays, the business would be closed, so a "pagan" could not work on such a day even if they wanted to do so. In Columbus, Ohio, there is a large discount department store chain owned by a Jewish family which is closed Saturdays, and open on Sundays. No one pays any attention to that sort of thing, and why should they? What would make them hypocrits? That they didn't go to extraordinary lengths to make a nuisance of themselves to their employers? This is tommyrot.

I've always taken what you call a "Chrismas bonus." These are annual performance bonuses, and in my experience, reflect your value to the company. They get passed out at Christmas time because most people feel the need for some extra cash at that time of the year. If you want to call that hypocricy help yourself, but my employer had better recognize my contribution annually just as is done for everyone else, that's simple justice, even if some christian gobshite is howling about hypocricy.

You're right - life is full of interesting & amusing ironies no doubt about it.

There is a company out of Chattanooga, TN called McKee Foods Corporation. MFC manufactures foods for the "Little Debbie Company", which is also owned by the McKee family. (Some of you might know of the Little Debbie line of snacks.) The McKee family is part of the 7th Day Adventist religion. As most know - the "Adventists" consider Saturday to be their sabbath and many choose not to work on this day of the week. The McKee's (in a show of support and commitment to their faith that goes beyond the dollar) do more than this. Recently, the Little Debbie Company began sponsorship of a NASCAR Race Car & Team at an investment of millions of dollars. Interestingly - the McKee's insisted that all signage related to their company (on the race car(s) crew uniforms, etc.) could not be shown on any Saturday. As the "Saturday-crowds" at these races and on TV are important to the investment-value all for corporate sponsors - many financial experts advised the McKee family to "look the other way" when it comes to racing/practicing/qualifying the "Little Debbie" Car on Saturdays. The McKee's choose not to budge however - electing to remain loyal to their religious beliefs despite the loss of monetary value. [That's right - you won't see the "Little Debbie" logo on any race car on Saturdays! The signage is removed on Friday after racing is completed and re-installed on Sunday mornings prior to that day's events.]

I find it interesting that the owners of this company choose not to "look the other way" when it comes to their "tommyrot" beliefs and stick to their "gobshite" while in fact "walking their talk" the entire time. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:49 pm
But they would allow such on Easter Sunday ... and Christmas, if that date doesn't fall on a Saturday?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:18 pm
Yes, I enjoy these holidays.

Yes, I am a hypocrite.

(but then, I'm yet to meet anyone who isn't)
0 Replies