Who bought a PS3?

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 04:48 pm
Did you camp out to get one? Was it worth it?

I read an interesting article in the paper this morning that said a technology company disected a PS3 and figured out that it cost Sony $840 to build one. That means they're taking quite a hit on each unit if they sell them at $600 per.
It said that that is not out of the ordinary for a manufacturer to do since they figure they'll make it up in game sales.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 07:28 pm
I find it hard to believe that...but maybe...the games are going to be more expensive than the regular PS2s and the new systems are HD so who knows.

There are tons of people just waiting to buy a system still. Which blows my mind. Who in their right mind camps out for 3 days to buy a video system?

I heard on the radio about some woman who did and then planned to sell it for profit, which I guess is sort of smart but man...

And who would spend $1000 or more on one? (see any ebay auction right now) Yikes. Don't these people know they are making more for the Holiday season?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 08:48 pm
My 13 year old played one today in Target. He said he didn't see much difference between the new one and his PS2.
If you have a HDTV the PS3 would make a difference in the picture since it's HD, and I suppose die-hard PS fans know what else new and different it does, but my son says he doesn't really need one. (Phew!)
not that he was getting one anyway....

He did say that the Wii from Nintendo is cool.
It's all greek to me though.

Bella, I am amazed by the people that camped out, especially during Thursday's torrential downpours that we had here. But, like you said, many probably only bought them to resell at a much higher price - to who I don't know.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 09:19 am
All the people on ebay who are bidding on them. Rolling Eyes I can't even believe it. Seriously, what the hell are these people thinking??

ebay ps2

Don't they know they are making more?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 11:50 am
This is an excellent commentary on the PS3 hubbub and I tend to agree:

PlayStation binge pushes grown-up's buttons
Dan Rodricks, The Baltimore Sun

Somebody - OK, I'll do it - needs to say a few choice words to the thousands of 20- something guys who waited in long lines so they could spend a week's take-home pay for a PlayStation 3 game. So here goes: Grow up! Get a life!

Volunteer to be a big brother somewhere.

Coach a basketball team.

Spend some quality time with your grandparents before they die.

If you want to "experience the most realistic combat ever," sign up for the Marines and go to Fallujah!........

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.rodricks19nov19,0,3531037.column
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Re: Who bought a PS3?
happycat wrote:
Did you camp out to get one? Was it worth it?

I read an interesting article in the paper this morning that said a technology company disected a PS3 and figured out that it cost Sony $840 to build one. That means they're taking quite a hit on each unit if they sell them at $600 per.
It said that that is not out of the ordinary for a manufacturer to do since they figure they'll make it up in game sales.

I read that same article. I know a guy who took two days off work to sit outside in line waiting for them to come out. He got three of them somehow and is expecting to make anywhere from a thousand to ten thousand selling them on ebay. At first I thought that was just insane, but if you look at how much he's going to be making...not such a bad deal. But then again, he isn't guaranteed to make that much, so I don't know. All I know is, I'd rather be sitting somewhere napping for a couple days than being at work, so maybe it was worth it for him.
0 Replies

somethingwitty

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 08:36 am
I got my hands on two PS3's. I kept one and sold the other.

Did anyone see on the news or read the paper where the guy got shot waiting in line for the PS3?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 09:58 am
somethingwitty wrote:

Did anyone see on the news or read the paper where the guy got shot waiting in line for the PS3?

I saw something about people waiting in line being robbed at gunpoint.

Are you going to tell us how much you made off the one you sold??
:wink:
0 Replies

somethingwitty

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 08:12 am
happycat wrote:
somethingwitty wrote:

I saw something about people waiting in line being robbed at gunpoint.

Are you going to tell us how much you made off the one you sold??
:wink:

Well, I went semi-honest with it. I know a lot of people out there are trying to make 600 to 800 percent profit of their PS3's by selling them for $4k to $5k, but I sold my for $2,000. I know some may think thats a rip off, but mine had to be the cheapest one sold to date.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:28 am
somethingwitty - I'm just curious....who did you sell it to? I mean, was it a parent buying it for a (spoiled) kid as a much-promised Christmas present?
Or a rich gamer that just had to have it.
Because I just can't imagine spending 2 grand for a video game. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

somethingwitty

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 10:12 am
happycat wrote:
somethingwitty - I'm just curious....who did you sell it to? I mean, was it a parent buying it for a (spoiled) kid as a much-promised Christmas present?
Or a rich gamer that just had to have it.
Because I just can't imagine spending 2 grand for a video game. Rolling Eyes

Well, I sold it on ebay. So I have no idea if it was for a child or a gamer. You have to understand, that this isnt a video game. It's a video game system. It will play all playstation, PS2 and PS3 games. Plus it will play Dvd's and Blu-ray Dvd's as well. A Blu-ray Dvd Player cost around $1,000 dollars right now. You can get that, plus a dvd player and a video game system all for $700. That's why people are going insane over it. There is a difference in the graphics from the PS2 and the PS3. It is best played on a HD TV or a tv with high resolution.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:25 pm
I am typing this post from my new PS3, I got lucky, my friends cousin bought one and found out her son wanted a Nintendo so she was going to return it to the store. I got wind of it and bought it for face value. The biggest reason was for the BluRay DVD which you can't buy for less than a thousand dollars and now I find out you can get on the web with it also. This thing is very cool.
0 Replies

gravenewworld

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:23 pm
I just got a ps3. Wow. This thing is disgusting. $600 for this thing is a steal. the games out now haven't even put the ps3 to the test yet. I have played the wii and yes it is fun, but it is simply too childish. PS3 is definitely the must have system for more maturer audiences. I haven't even checked out ps3 online yet, but from what I hear you can dowload basically all ps1 and ps2 games off it. This machine is freakin incredible.
0 Replies