Need help with PC-cillin

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:23 am
For some reason unknown to us, our PC-cillin will not update automatically anymore. We do not have the disk, the guy that built the computer installed it. I noticed that updates can be downloaded from the site manually, but I have no idea how to install them. Any ideas? We are way behind in our virus updates.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,375 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:30 am
cavfancier- I don't know about PC cillin but my Norton (and my former McAffee) only worked for one year automatically. After that, you had to purchase a renewal, or download every update manually, which is a total pain in the butt. You really have to check every day.

I think that you had better resolve this issue quickly. There is a Bugbear virus going around (I already got 2) that is nasty.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:35 am
Thanks Phoenix. I am paranoid about e-mails, so they all get deleted unless it makes sense to me, and most of them don't, and I never open attachments when the headline is weird, even from trusted sources. One good example: Someone sent me an e-mail reading "I forward this to you for your attention." I deleted it immediately. Turned out it was a resume, and the guy called me a few days later to see if I had looked at it. I told him, dude, just say "resume", you have to know that what you wrote sounds like a virus....I hope he lived and learned from that...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:36 am
Incidentally, we never had problems with the old computer when we were on Norton. Go figure...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:40 am
I've got PC-cillin at home. I somehow stopped the automatic updates along the way - then went into my system, re-started them, went to the site and it picked up the changes. No charge. I've had it for over 3 years now.

It's still rated as probably the best anti-virus option out there (I think I originally learned about it from Stoat).

cavfancier - i'm almost a techno-dolt, so if i can figure out how to re-start the automatic updates, any clown :wink: can.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:34 am
PC-cillin's site is having technical difficulties right now so I can't verify.

But weren't they free? And isn't PC-cillin now commercial software?
0 Replies