Where is the Incentive?

Raul-7

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:40 pm
hamburger wrote:
raul : a good story .

here is one that appeared many years ago in our local news-magazine .
the story was brought back from canada's north by a physician from ouur local hospital who often spent several months a year working with aboriginals .

an old man had been living alone in his igloo for many years .
over time he had befriended some of the missionaries who were visiting throughout the north .
the missionaries of various religious groups were trying to persuade him to join their congregation .
while he kept putting them off for a while , he finally decided to make use of their wisdom .
as he met the missionaries throughout the week , he asked them to visit him in his igloo on sunday .
he told them that an important decision would be made on that day .
sunday arrived and the missionaries came to his igloo .
they were rather surprised to find that he was not meeting them individually but had invited them all at the same time .
after a bit of awkwardness , the old man spoke :
"i'm am an old man who can neither read nor write .
i have invited you , because i believe you are much more knowledgeable than i am .
you have studied much and have travelled far .
so i will leave you now and ask you to decide which of your (religious) groups i should join .
i am sure you will be able to give me the right advice .
i will be back in an hour and will accept your decision . "

i understand that the wise and learned could not agree among themselves and were unable to give the old man the advice he was looking for .
hbg

What are you implying? That I'm playing the my religion is better than your religion game? Well that's not what I implied at all. In fact, Islam accepts what was sent down from all the Prophets.

Say: We believe in Allah and (in) that which had been revealed to us, and (in) that which was revealed to Abraham and Ismail and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and (in) that which was given to Moses and Jesus, and (in) that which was given to the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit. (Quran 2:136)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:45 pm
c.i. wrote :
"One doesn't need to learn to read to become a buddhist. Since he understands the spoken language, that's all one needs to learn any religion. "

not many buddhists in canada's northern provinces to spread the message yet .
i think even the dalai lama finds it a little cool there .

many innuit still have their own belief system that has served them well for thousands of years . christian religion has often been incorporated in their belief systems , but it now has became acceptable for christian churches in the north to incorporate innuit symbols and beliefs into their services .

the science centre in sudbury/ontario has a wonderful movie produced by natives that shows how their belief system evolved and is passed on to the younger generation .
much of it based on mother natur : water and earth , the animals , the wind , the rain ...
we saw the movie some years ago ; it was quite spectacular and moving .
(see link at bottom)
hbg (also known as "old owl" :wink: )

http://www.southworksantiques.com/forsale/may20/images/eskimo%20art.JPG

the movie is called :..."THE BIRTH OF SHOOTING STAR"...
you can see the story here .
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:29 pm
maporsche wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
There is nothing to fall "from." Just live a good and productive life while trying to keep healthy. Like the majority of human life on this planet, we will be forgotten within the next two or three generations - to be forgotten forever.

Don't lose any sleep over it; just learn to enjoy life.

How can you truly enjoy life if you are seperated from the things which make life enjoyable?

What exactly am I seperate from?

It depends. If you are a diabetic and you are seperated from insulin, how can you truly enjoy life? If you are starving and you are seperated from food, how can you enjoy life. There are too many examples to post, but you should get the point.

James 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

James 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:32 pm
Re: Where is the Incentive?
Gala wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Where is the Incentive?

If you thought that you will not fall because of these doctrines which have been formulated to remove all of your incentives, or if you did not realise that these doctrines are at the root of every great fall, then you did not comprehend or understand the story of Adam and Eve. And if you did not comprehend or understand the story of Adam and Eve, then you do not comprehend or understand human nature. And if you do not comprehend and understand human nature, then you do not know the purpose of the Bible. And if you do not know the purpose of the Bible, then you have no idea who or what you worship.

Isaiah 29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near [me] with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Actually, the Adam and Eve storty is a great one, as far as stories go. If you choose to follow everything you've typed up then this is your business.

However, there are plenty of people in this world who are not God fearing individuals who do incredible work for others and do not preoccupy themselves with what patch of real estate they'll end up in upon their death.

LOL! You can't do incredible work without being God fearing.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:44 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
There is nothing to fall "from." Just live a good and productive life while trying to keep healthy. Like the majority of human life on this planet, we will be forgotten within the next two or three generations - to be forgotten forever.

Don't lose any sleep over it; just learn to enjoy life.

How can you truly enjoy life if you are seperated from the things which make life enjoyable?

What exactly am I seperate from?

It depends. If you are a diabetic and you are seperated from insulin, how can you truly enjoy life? If you are starving and you are seperated from food, how can you enjoy life. There are too many examples to post, but you should get the point.

James 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

James 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?

Look, I understand that being seperate from something could cause me not to enjoy myself. You don't need to explain this.

My question was what you were referring to in your response to CI. It's obvious you weren't referring to insulin or food. I can make an assumption as to what you were referring to, but I'd rather ask specifically as to be clear.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 05:03 pm
If you are personally doing without insulin because you're a diabetic, what have you done to improve your personal situation? Did you pracitice good eating habits? How often do you check your health with a doctor? What did your doctor tell you?

90 percent of the population in this world do not have the proper food, health care or shelter. Some people's genes and environment dictates that they must learn to live without many modern conveniences including drugs.

Most of us do the best we can about our health, so just ignore it, and those in-between. I personally belief in moderation, but will eat steaks, and drink alcohol. At 71 years old, I enjoy pretty good health and lifestyle. We are one of the fortunate ones with health insurance.

Some are lucky to have been born in a developed country where economic and health opportunites are great compared to many parts on this planet. Most try to make the best of what they have.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 07:50 pm
maporsche wrote:

Look, I understand that being seperate from something could cause me not to enjoy myself. You don't need to explain this.

My question was what you were referring to in your response to CI. It's obvious you weren't referring to insulin or food. I can make an assumption as to what you were referring to, but I'd rather ask specifically as to be clear.

We were referring to anything that truly makes life enjoyable. This varies from person to person. But even though it may vary, it Starts with the basics: adequate food, healthcare, education, justice, peace etc.... You can't fully enjoy life without these basic things.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:04 pm
We were referring to anything that truly makes life enjoyable. This varies from person to person. But even though it may vary, it Starts with the basics: adequate food, healthcare, education, justice, peace etc.... You can't fully enjoy life without these basic things.

If you had written this from the beginning, you would have received a more direct response. You didn't say these were "examples," so we had to assume it meant you.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 09:43 pm
Mindonfire wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
If you had written this from the beginning, you would have received a more direct response. You didn't say these were "examples," so we had to assume it meant you.

Mindonfire-
Your last few posts have been even more nonsensical than usual. You consistently fail to formulate anything resembling a cohesive argument, opting instead to "LOL!" at any member who makes an honest (and naive) attempt to engage you in intelligent conversation. Based on all available evidence, you are just a simple phony. Why should anyone at A2K think otherwise?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 09:20 am
Mindonfire wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I don't think you were referring to this.

Your response made it sound like you couldn't be happy without god in your life. Or how could you truly be happy without having god in your life.

If you were talking about food, healthcare, education, etc then your respones to CI wouldn't make much sense because he wasn't talking about not having any of these things.

He was talking about there not being a god and then being happy without god's interference.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 11:37 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
If you are personally doing without insulin because you're a diabetic, what have you done to improve your personal situation? Did you pracitice good eating habits? How often do you check your health with a doctor? What did your doctor tell you?

How do you practice good eating habits without the proper foods?
How can you check your health with a doctor if you do not have healthcare or if you can't afford to?
How can you do what a doctor tells you if you do not have the means?

You all make it sound so simple.

cicerone imposter wrote:
90 percent of the population in this world do not have the proper food, health care or shelter. Some people's genes and environment dictates that they must learn to live without many modern conveniences including drugs.

Most of us do the best we can about our health, so just ignore it, and those in-between. I personally belief in moderation, but will eat steaks, and drink alcohol. At 71 years old, I enjoy pretty good health and lifestyle. We are one of the fortunate ones with health insurance.

Some are lucky to have been born in a developed country where economic and health opportunites are great compared to many parts on this planet. Most try to make the best of what they have.

So forget those who have not been quite as fortunate and just tell them to enjoy life. "Go ahead 90% enjoy life without any food and water. Enjoy life while your children are starving to death or dying from some curable disease that you can't get because you can't afford it. Enjoy life without proper learning facilities. Enjoy life without any adequate facilities. Enjoy life while your relatives are dying all around you. Can't you see we 10% are able to do it with our three meals a day and steaks and occasional alcoholic drinks." What has this world come to. We have never seen such callous and cold-hearted people.
0 Replies