Becks off to Real

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:27 pm
Beckham will be playing with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and Raul
Beckham's career in photos
England captain David Beckham has signed a four-year contract with Real Madrid.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:33 pm
Every day we get something about this guy on the news. I'm sure I speak for billions of people when I say "who cares".
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:22 pm
Wilso, maybe 3-4 billion people don't care. For better or for worse, about 4-5 billion people do care.

As for myself, it will only make me happier the few splendid times evry time a smaller team (Osasuna in the Spanish league, or Galatasaray in the Champions League) beats the Madrid millionaires.

Real Madrid won't get much better: it will still be Team World on midfield and offense, it will still be nothing great on defense.
On the other side, Beckham is worth the expenditure, not as a player, but as a merchandising vehicle.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:16 am
fbaezer,

I agree that the merchandising angle is more important to Real than the games he'll play.

I'm also happy that this may spell the beginning of the end for Man U...and leave the way for Arsenal to return to the top!

KP
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:21 am
Man U is strong enuff to bear the loss of Becks...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:02 am
I'm glad he's gone from MUFC. It was a good idea of Furgeson to winkle him out.

But he should have gone to Barca. Madrid aren't buying him for football reasons and it could easily end in tears if he hardly gets a game.

I think its an excellent move by MUFC, Becks was getting too big and disrupting the team.

Sorry KP it will only strengthen the team long term. Bit hard on a loyal servant of the club who didnt want to go, perhaps, but in the great scheme of things the hurt feelings of a pampered football player really is trivial.

WHO are we going to buy? Thats the interesting question.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:47 am
The boy's done good and so 'as his ball and chain. Both were in the right place at the right time. So now they wallow in fame, luxuriate in status symbols and have more dosh in the bank than the majority of people. Good luck to them. If they can earn it, fine, but I'd rather watch paint dry than follow their exploits.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 12:45 pm
Woo Hooo! Real has even more of my favorite players! Since I don't catch much footy the fact that they rock on paper is more important to me than how it'll play out.
0 Replies