Starts today: Al-Jazeera TV from London

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:17 am
Quote:
Frost opens with Blair in al-Jazeera English launch

Owen Gibson and Oliver Burkeman
Wednesday November 15, 2006
The Guardian

Sir David Frost has revealed how he investigated al-Jazeera's credentials with his own high-level contacts in Whitehall and Washington before agreeing to sign up to its long-delayed English language channel, which launches today.
In an interview in today's G2, Sir David, who is scheduled to welcome Tony Blair as the first guest to his show on Friday, said he initially had qualms about signing for the broadcaster after trenchant criticism from the American right.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"So I deliberately checked out, with Whitehall and with Washington, that there were no links with al-Qaida, for instance, that sort of thing," he said. "And it was not really a surprise that there were no such links, because Qatar, the proprietor of al-Jazeera, is also our most important ally in the Middle East."
Al-Jazeera English will launch at midday and will be accessible in the UK to anyone with a satellite dish and via its broadband internet site. Yesterday it was revealed that the US cable network Comcast had pulled out of talks to carry the channel, citing lack of capacity.

It hopes to offer a new, Middle Eastern perspective on world events as an alternative to CNN and BBC World. But it will not be available in America via either EchoStar, Comcast or Rupert Murdoch's DirecTV at launch, although US viewers will be able to tune in via the GlobeCast satellite.

Al-Jazeera Englishhas signed up a string of other big names, including the former BBC correspondent Rageh Omaar and ex-BBC One O'Clock News anchor Darren Jordan.

Wadah Khanfar, the former correspondent who rose to become director-general of the al-Jazeera network, said the potential worldwide audience of 80 million households was twice its original launch target. "We will be looking to expand our reach significantly."

Like its network of Arab channels, the new international news channel will be bankrolled by the Emir of Qatar.

Al-Jazeera executives in London said the delayed launch was down to technical difficulties. It is launching simultaneously in high definition around the world. The four broadcast centres, in London, Washington, Doha and Kuala Lumpur, will hand over to one another and "follow the sun" around the world.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:18 am
Quote:
In praise of ... al-Jazeera

Leader

Wednesday November 15, 2006
The Guardian

Al-Jazeera has come a long way in the decade since it launched. With the Middle East's media heavily censored, the Qatar-based television channel answered a crying need for a less restricted Arab voice and soon built a big audience.

Interest became global after 9/11, as Arabic speakers across the world looked to it for a source of news on Afghanistan and Iraq which emphasised reports about civilian life over those from journalists embedded in western armies. Its presence has sometimes been provocative. But its influence has kept growing, and will develop further with the launch - at noon today - of its 24-hour English news channel, al-Jazeera English, whose signings include David Frost, Rageh Omaar and Darren Jordan.

The channel already has an established English-language website. But as it looks west, al-Jazeera may need to reappraise some issues, like the line between those it calls terrorists and those it dubs martyrs. The channel is unlikely to be cowed into abandoning its Arab perspective, however, used as it is to attracting controversy, with Middle Eastern regimes and Washington alike.

It took hits from US bombs in Kabul and Baghdad and contested reports allege George Bush was once ready to bomb the HQ. Just as British reports have their biases, as a new study on the Iraq war underlines, so al-Jazeera has its own. But by reporting inconvenient facts and airing diverse views, it has helped the Arab region. By offering a new slant, it will do good for the wider world too.
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:22 am
David Frost starts talking to a worldwide al-Jazeera audience on Friday. So what will it make of an elderly Englishman in red socks and a City suit? He tells Oliver Burkeman why he's doing the show - and what he would do if he came face to face with Osama bin Laden

http://i15.tinypic.com/48m5p9c.jpg

Full report from today's The Guardian
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:20 am
David ain't going to be very popular with a few folks over her in 'merica. "Drop another skud down that traitorous limey's chimney" sort of thing.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:52 am
Quote:
The four broadcast centres, in London, Washington, Doha and Kuala Lumpur, will hand over to one another and "follow the sun" around the world.
ignorant bastards, everyone knows the earth spins on its axis and goes around the sun.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:00 am
blatham wrote:
David ain't going to be very popular with a few folks over her in 'merica. "Drop another skud down that traitorous limey's chimney" sort of thing.

The BBC are worried. That came across loud and clear in an interview with Richard Sambrook (BBC Head of News) and his equivalent at al Jazeera in Qatar this morning.

The BBC "welcomes competition" Laughing
The BBC is not concerned about a middle east viewpoint, because they already give a "global perpective" Laughing Laughing

Anyway al Jazeera is likely to have a smallish audience, mainly governments and movers and shakers around the world...

no competition at all really Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:16 am
blatham wrote:

If you think David Frost gives a toss about what others think Blatham, !!!

You don't know David Frost.

If you get chance to watch him, do so, he's a maestro at it!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:39 am
Mathos wrote:
blatham wrote:

If you think David Frost gives a toss about what others think Blatham, !!!

You don't know David Frost.

If you get chance to watch him, do so, he's a maestro at it!

dear odd english person (redundant, I suppose)

I've been a fan of davie since my late teens when he had a popular talk show over here on yank tv which slopped over the sacred border. Mind you, I liked him most acutely for his access to Dianne Carrol (sp?).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:16 am
Wish we were going to have access. I have actually been on their consultation panel re what people wanted from their service.

Frost is way past his best, but is an interesting choice.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:54 pm
Some of the best memories I recall of Frost would be from the late 60's.

There was a TV programme he hosted, with amongst others, Millicent Martin, Bernard Levin, Marty Feldman, and I am pretty sure John Cleese was amongst them.

TWTWTW

'That Was The Week That Was. Absolutely brilliant!

Does anybody recall it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:14 pm
Mathos wrote:

There was a TV programme he hosted, with amongst others, Millicent Martin, Bernard Levin, Marty Feldman, and I am pretty sure John Cleese was amongst them.

TWTWTW

Does anybody recall it?

Of course.....though I was a bit young to fully appreciate it, I loved it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:50 pm
Saw it when I was in England for the very first time - and understood nothing at all.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:57 pm
Mathos wrote:

TWTWTW

Does anybody recall it?

We didn't get it broadcast in my home town at the time, but I have seen snippets of it. And I think you are right about Cleese's involvement.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:36 pm
A load of crap.

Throwing stones at the Headmaster's windows.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:38 pm
spendius wrote:
A load of crap.

You ever had a better time than that?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:44 pm
Plenty. I was a teacher's pet.

I might have burned the school down had I thought the headmaster had nothing to offer and I was being imprisoned just for being born.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:58 am
From today's The Guardian (pics from page 18 of the print edition)

Quote:
Weather in Arabia, crisis in Gaza, and no sign of Sir David's Through the Cavehole

Mark Lawson
Thursday November 16, 2006
The Guardian

It's the weather that hits you first. The blonde meteorologist is a fairly standard post-Ulrika Jonsson model, but her survey begins with "cloud in the Arabian peninsula" and then works through Asia and Europe before a quick pay-off mentioning "a lot of rain in America".
This approach was, however, emblematic of al-Jazeera English's general attempt to change the climate of television journalism.

The emphasis is quite deliberate: to show American and European viewers how it has felt to be an Arab or Asian viewer of the BBC or CNN in recent decades. And so the London viewer tuning in to the sports news heard not about Marcus Trescothick's depression or Steve McLaren's temper but, first up: "The Iraq football team's search for somewhere to play."

Article continues

The network makes no changes to the grammar of 24-hour news - the headlines are generally read by man and woman double acts sitting at desks - but editorial priorities are overhauled.
The use of four broadcast centres - Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Washington and London - gives the viewer a sense of editorial tension about where the coverage will go next. The choice of which capital will anchor each hour seems to indicate priorities: the geopolitical equivalent of boys being picked for a school football team.

In the first hours of the network's life, it was London and Washington that were left standing against the wall, signalling desperately to the captains to pick them. The first hour came from the Qatar base, the second from Malaysia and then - after a half-hour documentary about Liberia - it was back to the Kuala Lumpur pair again for the third hour. A report from Zimbabwe was clearly scheduled to underline the BBC's exclusion from that country.

Only at 3pm British time did Stephen Cole pop up in London with a single headline, which concerned the security measures of the UK passport service rather than the Queen's Speech. The lead headline in all the debut bulletins was a "humanitarian crisis in Gaza", with reports from a hospital in the Palestinian territory.

Views rather than news - this report could have run at any point in the last few years, and especially as it was soon followed by a "first-person testimony" from a Palestinian ambulance driver - will confirm British and American fears that al-Jazeera intends to be a polemical network.

Other parts of the coverage seemed to anticipate the most likely criticism of the service: an Arab bias. Throughout the early programmes, the first headline on the so-called "news crawl" moving caption was "Israeli woman killed by Palestinian rocket". An interview with Israel's deputy prime minister, Shimon Peres, was also frequently trailed. And each report on the Palestinian humanitarian crisis was followed by a live report from Jackie Rowland in Jerusalem, framed against the city skyline, another CNN-cliche uncritically accepted by the newcomer.

This felt like a calculated attempt to deflect those who joked that the programmes should be transmitted on Channel 9/11 and that the schedule would feature such programmes as Through the Cavehole, with Sir David Frost asking us to guess which al-Qaida leader lived beneath which mountains.

But, however balanced it manages to seem on the issues of the Middle East, the first day's reporting felt unbalanced in its concentration on that region and the resulting almost contemptuous attitude to US and UK affairs. The problem with this approach is that an English-language broadcaster will surely limit its potential audience by continuing this editorial belittlement of the biggest English-speaking cultures.

On yesterday's evidence, the natural viewer for al-Jazeera English will be a creature rare in Britain and almost non-existent in America: someone desperate for submersion in other cultures to the exclusion of their own. Otherwise, the service will need to win viewers from the existing Arabic network who would rather hear English, which, again, seems a small constituency.

The bulletins also felt repetitive. At the top of four successive hours, the Palestinian report was followed by the Jerusalem two-way, which was billed as "live", although the reporter's contribution was so eerily identical as to raise the suspicion that a tape was being played. Only in mid-afternoon, when Rowley suddenly changed from a blue blouse to a white one, could viewers be sure that they were watching actuality.

Yet it's important to remember that CNN was the subject of roaring jokes in reporters' bars at the end of its first day and Sky News and BBC News 24 seemed in need of more rehearsals at their launches. Perhaps partly because of the almost year-long delay in launching - blamed on technical difficulties - al-Jazeera English reached the air slicker than any previous 24-hour news network. Other than an irritating gap between the questions from Doha and the answers elsewhere - some two-ways resembled early transatlantic phone calls - the equipment and personnel were well-drilled. The question, though, is whether enough Anglophone viewers resent the Anglophone bias of conventional news sufficiently to want this alternative.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:59 am
http://i15.tinypic.com/4ftjkuf.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/49j4sk0.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 05:06 am
spendius wrote:
A load of crap.

the considered contrarian view of TW3 from Mr Spendy. Laughing

Can you recall what British tv was like before the birth of satire?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:46 pm
I seem to remember it being the programme that introduced Peter Cook and Dudley Moore to the screen as well.

Has anybody any idea of what happened to 'The Lovely Amie McDonald?'
0 Replies