Zoe is Sick Again

Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 08:35 am
Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with dogs that have epilepsy. I have encountered all breeds, including boxers, that suffer with it. Although, as Cowdoc says, it's usually something that comes out later in a dog's life, after 4 years of age. I still think there is more than one thing going on here, but epilepsy would explain a lot of her behavior - but not the pain. There are some good support sites on the web for people dealing with their pet's seizures and I can give you more details on what I went though if it turns out to be the case. Let's hope she's just having reactions to the medications and when she stops taking them the seizure behavior will also stop.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 09:59 am
I've already mentioned this one, but some more reading and the addition of possible seizures to the list of problems makes me bring it up again. May not be this, probably not this, but it might be worth some thought if your vet can't find anything else, especially as it can be treated if detected early.

There is a condition in boxers (and in Beagles, Bernese mountain dogs, and German short-haired pointers) called meningeal vasculitis. In poking around I'm also seeing it categorized as steroid-responsive meningitis-vasculitis, which doesn't appear to have a breed predilection and probably lumps a number of different conditions with similar pathologies.

From the text again:
Quote:
The classical meningeal signs are fever, cervical {neck} rigidity, and spinal pain. Progression to neurologic signs, including ... seizures, may rarely occur. ... Some affected dogs have concurrent immune-mediated polyarthritis.
Multiple littermates are commonly affected, and many affected dogs have been closely related, suggesting a hereditary basis for the disorder.

From http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/60208.htm, who don't mention Bernies and add Akitas, and call it by another name (though I'm pretty sure they're describing the same thing as my text)
Quote:
A steroid-responsive meningitis has been seen in adolescent or young adult Beagles, Boxers, German Shorthaired Pointers, and Akitas, but is very rare in other pure and mixed breeds. The clinical signs in Beagles, Boxers, and German Shorthaired Pointers consist of cyclic bouts of fever, severe neck pain and rigidity, reluctance to move, and depression. Each attack lasts 5-10 days, with intervening periods of complete or partial normalcy lasting ≥1 wk. {emphasis added}

Can you get any information on Zoe's littermates? On dogs in her lineage?

A short report at the link below suggests that Boxers may do pretty well with this disease, but early detection is big.
http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/content/abstract/42/4/277
0 Replies