Zoe is Sick Again

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
Thanks for stopping in littlek....we took all 26 pages of Zoe's old file to her new vet

Yes, my 11 month old boxer already has 26 pages in her vet file. Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:55 pm
Dear sweet boxers have such tragic ailments!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:56 pm
Quote:
ANA? RF? What are those? Lupus...we haven't talked about at all. Does it sound like it could be? Seriously, I am open to any possibilities.

ANA is Anti-Nuclear Antibodies, RF is Rheumatoid Factor (aberrant antibodies produced in rheumatoid arthritis). Both are common tests in animals suspected of having systemic lupus erythematosus.

If money's really not an issue, how close are you to East Lansing? There's a vet school at MSU. Not cheap, but you should have access to a hell of a lot of diagnostic capability and experience there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:39 am
Money is an issue, unfortunatly.

I am broke and and getting broker by the moment. Laughing

If this continues though, it might be worth it to just spend the money all in one spot.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:52 am
Bella
Bella, you mentioned that all the problems after Zoe was spayed. Did the vet that spayed Zoe take an x-ray to be sure no surgical supply was accidently left in her abdomen?

BBB
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:24 am
Yup. Her xray was of her back legs and her back. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Unless it was a sponge or something. The vet did say she saw a lot of gas in her intestines. But that is probably from not eating much. And boxers are a farty breed.
Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
Ok, just to let you all know...she is acting fine today.

Like I said, one day she's down and the next she's up and running like a lunatic dog.

I don't get it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:28 pm
*sigh*

I went home from lunch and she went out to pee and then laid down and started shaking. She is acting strange again.

Trembling is a side effect of the medicine she is taking but it bothers me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:21 pm
Bella--

I googled "Genetic abnormalities in Boxers" and this is one of the sites that came up.

http://americanboxerclub.org/genetic_diseases.html
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
What is she taking?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:28 pm
Metacam and an antibiotic that starts with a Z. I'll have to get back to you on that one.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:29 pm
'T'saright. That's enough for me. Just curious.

Does she seem less painful with the Metacam?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:23 pm
yeah...but now she's just laying around again. and shivering.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:49 pm
Bella,

Just wanted to drop in to wish Zoe well. I'm a dog lover myself but know little about boxers. Good luck with all of this. I'm sending good thoughts your way.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 06:26 pm
Bella

I'm so sorry to hear of Zoe's ongoing unwellness. Poor little thing. And poor you! Sad
I hope you finally manage to discover what's causing these problems .... & very soon!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:18 pm
Bella, I'm so sorry to hear that Zoe's not been well.

Take good care of yourself and her.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:42 pm
Just wanted to add my support. A friend has a very sweet little doggie who always runs up to me to get some love when I visit (and I'm always happy to comply) and he was doing that shivering thing when I was there last, really distressing. His owner said it was the same thing -- reaction to medication -- but I understand how upsetting it can be in and of itself. He likes to lean up against me and be pet while I sit on the couch and talk, and all that shivering left me incredibly tense. Like, worried about him, but also just the opposite of the calming effect a warm furry doggie usually has.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:08 pm
Petco and pestmart carry small pills of chamomile . That might, if it wont bother the medications, help with the shivering and help her to feel calmer.

Check with the vet first though..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:29 pm
Well, I think she may have had a seizure. A small one, but she laid down and started shaking with her ears back and with this really scared look in her eyes so I brought her up on the couch with me. About 15 minutes later, her head just started shaking, like she was saying "no". Lasted only a few seconds but what the hell was it??

Anyone familiar with seizures of any type in dogs?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:58 pm
Epilepsy is not all that uncommon in dogs, but not that often in Boxers. (Incidentally, that's one of the few things Boxers are not renowned for.) Generally, epilepsy has an onset closer to five years of age. She's pretty young for that condition, no matter how you look at it. Sorry I'm not more help on this one.
0 Replies