Issues with teaching

cyphercat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 05:00 pm
Wow, k. Shocked Teaching or substituting is an option I consider, so I'm interested (and freaked out) to read about your experiences with it. I bet you're very well-suited to work with kids-- you're such a nice person and seem like you can be patient, kind but firm, all that kinda thing... so hang in there!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:11 pm
I'm late to the party here, but I just want to say that I hope that someone like you will be around when/if my kids act like that at school. I can't always be there to correct them and I hope that adults at their school will let them know when they're out of line.

Also, a little insight into L's behavior. When I was a kid my favorite teachers were the ones who wouldn't take ****, because I knew where I stood with them and the boundaries were clear.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:54 pm
Thanks all..... I feel a bit better today.

Soz the BIG meeting hasn't even happened yet.

Add to the list of issues: lice. They're swamping the school again - have been for a month or so. A louse was found hanging on a math book in the class I subbed in. No others were found. But, then we noticed nits in my neice's hair. ARGHG!

A note. I am getting better at the teaching thing. I lasso'd a classroom full of 2nd graders who were off to a bad start and had them working almost as if their teacher were in the room by mid-day. (phew). And, I still like it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:19 pm
littlek wrote:
A note. I am getting better at the teaching thing. I lasso'd a classroom full of 2nd graders who were off to a bad start and had them working almost as if their teacher were in the room by mid-day. (phew). And, I still like it.

See? I know you're stressed but you obviously have what it takes!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:18 pm
Well, it has only been a few months.....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:55 am
Littlek--

Motherhood takes nine months and A Mother must cope with one--usually one--child.

You're coping with classrooms--part time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 04:56 pm
Teachers develop iron bladders because it is difficult to get to the bathroom when you teach.

I, too, have dental problems. Finally went to take care of a visible gum line cavity. Initial visit, x-rays and the filling ran $410 or half a paycheck. Going to Tufts Dental School next.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:25 pm
Plain old me, I am a member of AAA. As such, I can apply to Delta Dental insurance for something like 40 bucks per month. I'm not sure how the math works out, but I think it'd be in your favor if you're looking at serious dental work.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:19 pm
littlek -- That's the best news I've heard in weeks!!! Interesting how beneficial AAA is. My son got discounts on some prescriptions because we're in AAA.

Because I've been so poor for so long, I went without AAA. Considering the sorts of cars I drive (current set of wheels is a 1992 Volvo wagon with more than 152,000 miles on it), being without AAA is a little like trainer-wheels Russian roulette. Being able to afford it was a high water mark of my over 50 existance. Another was being able to afford a timer for my front hall light.

Poverty helps you appreciate things.

You are the best, littlek!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:30 pm
Like I said, check out the small print and do the math. There is a wait period (it's short, I believe). 2 cleanings per year are free, as is the initial visit (I think). Fillings are covered 60 or 70 percent. Major surgery coverage increases after a year (approx).

So, if AAA is 40-something per year and the dental is 40-something per month - that's ..... 50 per month, or so. If you need a lot of work done, it's worth it for a few years of coverage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:38 pm
That's interesting, I'll look into that.

Signed,
1991 Volvo wagon driver
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 03:30 pm
Wow, ossobucco, your Volvo is older than mine!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:04 pm
Osso, as far as I know it's only offered in New England (and maybe not even all of NE). But, do check it out anyway!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:36 pm
Well, I found a kid to do my math interview with. Phew!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 01:25 am
If I had a math interview, I'd want a kid along, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 05:29 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:40 am
Littlek--

A possibly unnecessary warning: Just before Christmas elementary school children are not "good as they can be". They are keyed up little hellions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:35 pm
eeer, thanks..... <sigh>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:48 pm
Littlek--

Forewarned is forearmed.

They want to be good and wind up on the Nice Loot List, but the Spirit of the Season can be intoxicating in the worst way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:04 pm
Noddy, I have heard two different (very) teachers comment that, "well, it IS december...." There's something to it!
0 Replies