Remakes

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:59 pm
I find myself mystified when I hear about a remake of a wonderful movie. Why do they do it? What's the point? Do they expect to improve on what was pretty damned good to begin with?

I generally avoid remakes like the plague. However, I recently watched the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. As much as I hate remakes, I like Denzel Washington more. I was pleasantly surprised. The basic premise of brainwashing in the military was still there. But much was changed. Updated. Re-presented in a relevant way.

Are there other remakes that have been good that I've missed, or is this the exception?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,670 • Replies: 30
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:07 pm
I liked the remake of the Manchurian Candidate as well. There are some movies, like Manchurian Candidate, updated to a new time and new problems, that serve us well.

So do Kenneth Branaugh's re-filming of much of Shakespeare.

On the other hand, there are films that were best forgotten and never needed revival.

And there are some masterpieces (The BEst YEars of Our Lives) that should never be touched and can't because the premise upon which they were built is part of the past.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:04 pm
Re: Remakes
Roberta wrote:
Why do they do it? What's the point? Do they expect to improve on what was pretty damned good to begin with?

In some cases, I'm sure that is the point; but in other cases, the directors might just want to explore what it would be like to reinterpret a story. It doesn't necessarily have to be done with an eye toward "improvement." The Thomas Crown Affair is a good example; the two are different enough from each other that I don't think the 1999 version was trying to outdo the the 1968 one; I think the second was just trying to imagine what it would be like to reinvent the character of Crown (and change the ending!).

One movie that's been on my List Of Things To See is the 1963 version Lord of the Flies. I've only seen the 1990 version, which I thought was good; I'm interested to see what it did differently from the first version.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:14 pm
Roberta, thanks for this thread. Like you, I avoid remakes. It is good to read of some that are worth the cost of the ticket.

Naturally, anything with Denzel Washington is just fine with me.

Also, a little off topic, I detest using beautiful music as background for commercials. Opera should not be used to sell cars.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:21 am
plainold, I think the idea of taking a mediocre movie that had potential that was never realized is a great idea. Try again, and do it right this time. Unfortunately, really good movies are the focus of remakes. To very little purpose or improvement, I think. For example, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho was a terrific movie. The purpose of the remake (with Anne Heche) will forever remain a mystery to me. A frame for frame, minute by minute redo--in color. Why?

shapeless, I saw the 1963 version of Lord of the Flies. The book was very hot. The movie was good--not great. A bit unsettling, which it was supposed to be. I'll look for the remake.

Diane, Yeah, I like Denzel too. Mucho.

As for opera music in commercials, start your own thread, kid. Not in the mood? Okay. IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with opera and cars. They're gonna stick in some music. Just as well be opera as something else. You think Puccini is spinning in his grave? You think Joe Green (Giuseppe Verdi) gives a flying you know what? I don't. Their music is in the public domain. On the other hand, Paul McCartney had a conniption when he found out that his Ebony and Ivory pal Michael Jackson had bought the rights to the Beatles songs and was gonna sell those rights to commercials. Is nothing sacred?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:21 pm
Roberta -- I thought the reshooting of The LAst of Mohicans, using the original script, was pointless and disappointing. As one reviewer said at the time: the film maker obviously had nothing new to say about the novel. Too bad.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:29 pm
plainold, This is what mystifies me. People seem to have money to throw away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:04 pm
I dunno. The original "Manchurian Candidate" is one of my all time favorite films. I thought that the remake was contrived, and did not have the "punch" of the original. The whole premise of the film belonged in the point of history of the original.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:15 pm
Hey, Lord of the Rings was a remake (Ralph Bakshi did an animated version of the first book in the early 80s).

I saw the remake of the Poseidon Adventure. I saw the original as a kid and bits scared the bejeezus out of me, the new one was a bit overwrought but had some additions that make me think that remakes are a bit like cover versions of songs (everything is about music really).

No kid today is ever gonna pull a 30 year old dvd off the shelf so someone re-does it updates all the outdated references in the script, gives an contemporary angle, and uses the latest effects and updates the soundtrack, does a wacko trailer and gets some hype happening and a whole new generation gets to see a story that they otherwise may not have (and the movie company makes some money without straining any great creative muscles).

There are no doubt movies we liked as younger folk that were remakes - but we didn't know and didn't care. I'm sure it's the same for young movie goers today.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:23 pm
I loved the remake of "Thomas Crown." Dare I confess even more than the original?

One that I thought was superb was the made-for-cable remake of "Twelve Angry Men." Everyone in the cast, including Tony Danza believe it or not, stepped up to the plate and did their part like it was the last role they would ever play. Jack Lemmon, George C. Scott, Myketli Williams, it's a very strong cast.

You couldn't put a gun to my head and make me watch a remake of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Just the idea of a Hitchcock remake is foolish.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:59 pm
Surely Greystroke - Legend of Tarzan was better than all those Johnny Weismuller movies?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:28 am
Phoenix, When I saw the original Manchurian Candidate, I didn't know what was coming. With the remake, I had a fair idea from the outset. This took some of the punch out of the movie for me. I thought the remake did a fair job with historic context. Took out the political aspects and put in big business and big money. This was credible for me. What can I tell ya?

Hingehead, Saw the original cartoon version of Lord of the Rings at a private screening for a film class I was taking. Hated it. So did other members of the class. We had some awkward moments when the producers showed up for a discussion. Haven't seen the remakes with the humans. They're too long. I'll catch them eventually when I'm prepared to make the commitment.

As for Tarzan vs. Greystoke, what can I tell ya? The basic premise was sufficiently goofy (I read the book) so that I was prepared to accept goofy in the movie. And Weismueller was plenty goofy. Greystoke was a serious movie attempting something the earlier versions didn't. I liked it, but it's hard to think of Greystoke as a remake of Tarzan. Maybe that's because they did a really good job. Have to cogitate on this.

eoe, I didn't see the remake of the Thomas Crown Affair, so I'm gonna keep my mouth shut. I did see the remake of 12 Angry Men. I thought is was weak, although the cast was filled with talented people.

As I've been writing my responses, I realize that one of the problems that I have with remakes is the very strong visual images a good movie leaves in my head. Maybe my problem is that I'm unaccepting of different images for what's familiar. Could be the answer, or I'm just generally crabby, cranky, and hard to please.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:19 am
Yes, Raboida, you are crabby, cranky and hard to please, which is just fine with almost everyone who knows you.

I agree that Greystoke was a very different film than the old Tarzans. I wouldn't have bothered seeing it except that my sons wanted to go. It was serious without being terribly self-important. As for the originals with Weissmuller and Reeves, they were fun when I was a kid and actually made me interested in the African continent.

This has made me realize that I need to get out more. Any suggestions for new movies?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:00 pm
Diane, I don't go to movies anymore. But a mutual friend (Sue) saw the movie with Helen Mirren about Queen Elizabeth and said it was wonderful. I can't wait for it to show up on cable.

As I was rereading, I laughed out loud. Why? Something I said reminded me of something from a long time ago. I complained that the Lord of the Ring movies are too long. A commitment. Many years ago a friend asked me whether I was going to watch a minseries on TV. I was undecided. I said, "I don't know if I want to make that kind of commitment." She responded, "And you wonder why you're not married." It was a lightbulb moment. Idea And good for a laugh.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:52 pm
Well, The Mummy was remade (loosely) from the 1930s Boris Karloff film and I personally thought it was pretty good. Not Oscar caliber of course, but neither was the original. Still, good entertaining stuff, IMO.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:56 pm
As for new movies, I just saw Flags of Our Fathers, which was just okay. The Prestige I thought sucked although my wife liked it. And Stranger Than Fiction, which we both thought was a very good romantic comedy.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:26 pm
At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I have to confess a preference for Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over Mel Stuart's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:55 pm
Mutiny on the Bounty must have been done a fair few times....Charles Autrey, Marlon Brando, Mel Gibson.... Never seen any of them....

Hey there are at least three versions of King Kong too - haven't seen them either.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:49 pm
Oh, I'd forgotten about Kong. I've seen the original and the most recent remake. I enjoyed both very much.

Never saw any of the Bounties though.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:49 pm
Oh, I'd forgotten about Kong. I've seen the original and the most recent remake. I enjoyed both very much.

Never saw any of the Bounties though.
0 Replies