Sir Elton John -- King of Tolerance

Bartikus

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:46 pm
Elton and others speak almost as if organized religion did'nt exist....hatred, war, homophobia, etc..........would'nt exist.

Could it be the other way around?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:43 pm
It is my right to vote however I wish and, if I wish to vote to ban organized religion, who are you to tell me I can't exercise my right to vote that way? Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:57 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
if I had to choose

that's how polls work. I pick how I vote, and you pick how you vote (given the specific poll question, I'd suspect we'd vote the same way).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
So -- following ehbeth's line of reasoning -- if I had to choose whether I'd prefer more organized religion, or more gay people, I'd definitely go with more organized religion.

I believe you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:58 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Organized religion hasn't brought anything positive into my life.

A number of gay people have been marvellous contributors to various aspects of my life.

Really?

Really.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:59 pm
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
So -- following ehbeth's line of reasoning -- if I had to choose whether I'd prefer more organized religion, or more gay people, I'd definitely go with more organized religion.

I believe you.

Thanks, nimh.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Really?

Really.

Really, really?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:51 pm
Re: Sir Elton John -- King of Tolerance
real life wrote:
Well, Elton is sure to be a hero to many on this forum. I have heard similar sentiments from many of the 'tolerant' crowd here.

So let's have a show of hands -- how many of you are 'tolerant' folk believe like EJ and would support a legal ban on all organized religion?

Notice that he condemns religion for promoting 'hatred', but apparently doesn't see he call to criminalize organized religious practice as 'hateful'.

Where is the disconnect in this man's brain, and in the brain of those who agree with him?

How can they spout against 'hatred' and fail to see their own?

Now let's be clear. It's ORGANIZED religion that he thinks should be criminal, not PRIVATE belief. Participation in public, organized services is the issue here.[/u][/i]

So let's compare apples with apples:

I don't know of any Christians who are calling for criminal charges against any who DON'T participate in organized religion.

Do you?

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6140710.stm

Quote:
Sir Elton: Ban organised religion

Sir Elton John has said he would like to see all organised religion banned and accused it of trying to "turn hatred towards gay people".

Organised religion lacked compassion and turned people into "hateful lemmings", he told the Observer.

But the musician said he loved the idea of the teachings of Jesus Christ and the beautiful stories about it which he had learned at Sunday school.

And he said there were many gays he knew who loved their religion.

'Doesn't work'

His comments were made in a special gay edition of the Observer Music Monthly Magazine, where he was interviewed by Scissor Sisters' Jake Shears.

"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred towards gay people," he said. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays.

"But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion."

According to the singer-songwriter, 59, his solution would be to "ban religion completely, even though there are some wonderful things about it".

He added: "I love the idea of the teachings of Jesus Christ and the beautiful stories about it, which I loved in Sunday school and I collected all the little stickers and put them in my book.

"But the reality is that organised religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

He also said that the problems experienced by many gays in former nations of the Soviet bloc, such as Poland, Latvia and Russia were caused by the church supporting anti-gay movements.

'God's people'

And he called on the leaders of major religions to hold a "conclave" to discuss the fate of the world - which he said was "near escalating to World War Three".

"I said this after 9/11 and people thought I was nuts," he said. "It's all got to be dialogue - that's the only way. Get everybody from each religion together and say 'Listen, this can't go on. Why do we have all this hatred?'

"We are all God's people; we have to get along and the [religious leaders] have to lead the way. If they don't do it, who else is going to do it? They're not going to do it and it's left to musicians or to someone else to deal with it."

He also said he would continue to campaign for gay rights.

"I'm going to fight for them, whether I do it silently behind the scenes or so vocally that I get locked up."

LOL! That's just Mr. John fighting for his religion. He is allowed to profess his religious views.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:52 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Elton and others speak almost as if organized religion did'nt exist....hatred, war, homophobia, etc..........would'nt exist.

Could it be the other way around?

Hmm. That is a good thought.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:11 am
Butrflynet wrote:
It is my right to vote however I wish and, if I wish to vote to ban organized religion, who are you to tell me I can't exercise my right to vote that way? Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Laughing

You can wish to vote to ban anything you like. Religion and the practice thereof is a protected right by the Constitution.

That does'nt prevent you from wishing for anything.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:42 am
Bartikus wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

You can wish to vote to ban anything you like. Religion and the practice thereof is a protected right by the Constitution.

That does'nt prevent you from wishing for anything.

Constitutional protections haven't stopped some folks from voting to ban legal recognition of some marriages, nor has it stopped them from loudly expressing those desires in the public arena.

Having the right to vote for that ban inspite of those constitutional protections is the current excuse du jour of those folks. Just thought I'd try it out on this issue that is near and dear to them to see how it feels to be on the other side of the fence. (Thanks for playing along.)

It's my guess that is exactly what Elton was doing. Elton John's opinion that religion should be banned is no less "out there" than those who feel that religious beliefs belong in the government and that religious rules should be made into law. It doesn't feel good when people try to use their right to vote their opinion as justification for doing so; does it.

I see it as him striking back at what he sees as the source of the hateful anti-gay bias he experiences. (The pope's anti-gay beliefs and remarks are part of the problem, as are the beliefs and remarks of Robertson, Fallwell, Sheldon, etc...who are all leaders of religious organizations.) Elton John is just a guy with an opinion like anyone else.

Personally, I'm quite sick of it all. It's not news, it's just some aging pop star's opinion. The only value for Real Life to post it was to get folks all riled up and looking for a fight.

Hey, and guess what Real Life? Elton John lives in the UK, not the US so the US constitution has little impact on the efforts of folks in the UK trying to ban organized religion there. In fact, the Brits have a history of and are quite experienced at banning organized religions.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:05 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

Not sure if you were just being sarcastic here Butrflynet, but no one can tell you how to exercise your vote.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:50 pm
real life wrote:
Well, Elton is sure to be a hero to many on this forum. I have heard similar sentiments from many of the 'tolerant' crowd here.

So let's have a show of hands -- how many of you are 'tolerant' folk believe like EJ and would support a legal ban on all organized religion?

BM (Bowel Movement)

Oops, I mean (Book Mark)
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:06 am
I think ( i'm sure some doubt that ) E John's "idea" was more in the context that the organization of someone's "belief" system on the population as a whole, by a multitude of different concepts of those "beliefs" it would be better for all concerned, if, as it were.... each individual carried out his worshiping-beliefs in his own home and kept them out of the "real" world of the living. Thus endevoring to have logicaly and happy existence, by keeping others fictional myths where they belong...in one's mind... but then again I could be wrong and I'm not telling you how I voted,so there.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:08 am
I think ( i'm sure some doubt that ) E John's "idea" was more in the context that the organization of someone's "belief" system on the population as a whole, by a multitude of different concepts of those "beliefs" it would be better for all concerned, if, as it were.... each individual carried out his worshiping-beliefs in his own home and kept them out of the "real" world of the living. Thus endevoring to have logicaly and happy existence, by keeping others fictional myths where they belong...in one's mind... but then again I could be wrong and I'm not telling you how I voted,so there.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:15 pm
I dont know if it is a myth or not but does Elton crap out of a pipe?

If so evolution needs to hurry and sort this dilemma out!!! Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:33 pm
Green Witch wrote:
real life wrote:

How can they spout against 'hatred' and fail to see their own?

To answer this question Real Life you need to look into a mirror.

Have u any logical evidence in support of this point of vu,
or r u just mindlessly, emotionally gushing ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:43 pm
aidan wrote:
Quote:
Whether he's right or wrong, Elton's making a bit of a generalization here-exactly what he bridles against when it's done to him, as a gay male. I'm surprised to hear him advocating banning anything that has to do with belief, choice, life-style, etc. That's a little like the pot calling the kettle black and cutting off your nose to spite your face because once you start banning one thing, it gets easier for people to advocate banning others. And I'd hazard a guess that there are a whole lot more people willing to ban homosexual activity, marriage, etc., than there are willing to ban organized religion.

Are people who practice an organized religion necessarily more homophobic? And are the religious
homophobes the ones who tend to follow up their homophobia with violence?

For whatever it may be worth,
I 've heard that the violent ones
r bordeline homosexuals who subconsciously fear that in themselves,
when thay strike out against other homosexuals.

Quote:
I think tolerance toward anything and the ability to mind your own business and live and let live has more to do with personality type than religious affiliation.

Agreed.
It seems unlikely
that when thay r pounding the homos,
thay do so out of fear that the poundee
will not make it to Heaven.

Quote:
Because in organized religion, as in life, those with a certain personality type
tend to focus on one aspect of an issue, while those with another tend to
focus on another. Religious homophobes would be homophobes whether
they were religious or not. They just wouldn't have a bible verse to attach to their hatred.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 12:52 pm
Just an update on this classic liberal:

EJ now wants to shut down the internet as well.

Quote:
POP legend Sir Elton John wants the internet CLOSED DOWN.

Never one to keep his opinions to himself, the Rocket Man has waded into cyberspace with all guns blazing.

He claims it is destroying good music, saying: "The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other, creating stuff.

"Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn't bode well for long-term artistic vision.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350453,00.html

Instead of listening to the King of Tolerance, they are out there making their own records!

It's gotta be stopped!

Typical liberalism. Ban religion and shut down the internet. What's next?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 02:12 pm
real life wrote:
Just an update on this classic liberal:

EJ now wants to shut down the internet as well.

Quote:
POP legend Sir Elton John wants the internet CLOSED DOWN.

Never one to keep his opinions to himself, the Rocket Man has waded into cyberspace with all guns blazing.

He claims it is destroying good music, saying: "The internet has stopped people from going out and being with each other, creating stuff.

"Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn't bode well for long-term artistic vision.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350453,00.html

Instead of listening to the King of Tolerance, they are out there making their own records!

It's gotta be stopped!

Typical liberalism. Ban religion and shut down the internet. What's next?

Cud it be possible that he has contracted AIDS of the brain ?

Anyway,
I entreat u not to characterize him as a " classic liberal "
as the philosophy of classical liberalism is of such l' aissez faire
individualists and libertarians as: Adam Smith, Jeremy Bentham,
Friedrich Hayek, Ludwig von Mises, Milton Friedman, Barry Goldwater, and ME; all lovers of personal freedom;
( this is distinct from the evil collectivist liberalism of Roosevelt, Kennedys,
and John ).
David
0 Replies