"Flushed Away" for a six-year-old?

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
I FINALLY finally watched "Wallace and Gromit" the other day, on DVD. Man was that good. I've seen the previous Wallace + Gromit shorts and knew this one would be good but it was still great fun.

Sozlet and E.G. went to see it in the theater when it first came out, her first (and thus far only) movie theater experience. They had a great time.

"Flushed Away" looks absolutely fabulous and it occurred to me to check whether it has any open captioned showings around here. It does -- today and tomorrow!! Already missed the matinee today and the later one is too late. Tomorrow should work though.

It's rated PG -- W & G was "G". As far as I can tell the PG is mostly for grossness and mild language -- we're pretty laid-back about that stuff around here. What would worry me is violence and scariness.

So, have you seen it? Do you think it's suitable for a 6-year-old?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,428 • Replies: 19
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:13 pm
We haven't seen Flushed Away yet, but in our newspaper it read
"....PG for crude humor and some language."

Probably nothing a 6 year old hasn't heard already.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:18 pm
Haven't seen it myself, but check out the Buncha Trailers Here ... I think it looks fine for a six-year-old (migawd ... she's THAT old already?!?!?! Shocked ) - looks like something I'll prolly rent soon as it hits the shelves, too - just to gratify the six-year-old in me Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:37 pm
Well, she's ALMOST six. But yeah, she's growing up at an alarming pace.

To remind me that this household really has no problem with the subject matter, I opened the refrigerator and found some (very realistic looking) fake poop sitting there between the strawberries and the yogurt. Little imp was lurking and cracked up -- just as she cracked up the previous 3,000 times she came up with a creative place to put it since she got it as part of a joke kit yesterday. Oy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:11 pm
chuckle re the jokepoop - you're prolly lucky that's as far as it goes. Imagine finding most of a deceased racoon on your bedspread ... a loving gift from a devoted Puppy Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:38 pm
cj wrote :
""....PG for crude humor and some language."

that probably means the the parents may be exposed to "some language" new to them . :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:15 pm
Nah hamburger, once you're a parent, you know all the cuss words there
are Laughing

One day, when my daughter was around 5ish and playing outside she brought home an entire barbie suitcase full of snails - yikes!!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:18 pm
did you serve them in garlic butter ?
hbg

http://www.911cheferic.com/images/recipe_images/garlic_snails.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:56 pm
Sozobe, here's a family review site that breaks the movie down:

Flushed Away Family Review
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 08:06 pm
"Flushed Away". The name says it all. I am certain there must be some mention of fecal matter. Thus the PG rating.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 09:32 pm
Thanks Green Witch! That was thorough -- I had to do some skimming because there were a lot of spoilers but I got a good general idea. Seems fine.

Yay, I haven't been to a movie theater in... um... gosh. A long time.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:49 pm
I'm glad to hear that some parents actually give some thought as to what films they let their children see.

I know of a woman (a friend of a friend) who was divorced and had a five year old daughter. She was about to get remarried -- but her little girl was feeling very threatened about the whole idea.

So this woman thought it would be a great idea -- a nice family-type outing -- if she and her boyfriend took her little girl to see Bambi.

Yeah. A film in which the child figure (Bambi) loses its mother.

You know, you have to wonder what some parents are thinking -- or if they ever do.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 09:17 pm
Oh dear.

Sozlet still hasn't seen Bambi. I'm sure I'll let her sometime, but I just know too many adults who still carry the scars from when they saw it as kids... Shocked (I've never seen it.)

Meanwhile, we saw "Flushed Away" today, it was really fun! Not nearly at "Wallace and Gromit" levels -- there's something inherently distancing/ alienating about computer animation vs. stop-motion, even though you could see that they were trying to rough things up a bit. Non-completely-smooth surfaces, etc. The humor was a bit more crude, in the simplistic sense -- lots of groin-whacking and such. But overall it was nice, sozlet had a great time (including dancing in the aisles at the end -- it was just us and one other family in the theater, plenty of room).

The slugs were awesome. :-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
Stray Cat--

Many parents think of books and movies--and video games--as "entertainment", pleasurable froth, rather than as windows on our complex world.

Under the circumstances, Bambi was a dimwitted choice for an outing, but once the damage was done it could have opened the way for a good discussion.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:32 pm
Quote:
Sozlet still hasn't seen Bambi. I'm sure I'll let her sometime

How about when she's 21? Smile

I remember my mother taking me to see Bambi when I was eight years old. I also remember crying myself to sleep that night. And I don't think I'll ever forget seeing Bambi walking through the woods in the snow, calling out.."Mother!"

Like all Disney films of that era, the animation was beautiful. But sheesh! It struck right at the heart of every child's greatest fear...losing a parent(s) and being abandoned.

I've never seen the film since that time when I was eight. I don't think I could take it!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
Kids remember that Bambi lost his mother.

Kids also remember that Bambi survived.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:26 pm
I saw Bambi at eight. close to nine... I'm sure I cried. On the other hand, I didn't hate the movie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 10:38 am
The "in" film references in this are a hoot! and some of the Brit-specific language

Rita noting that Roddy wasn't a complete big girl's blouse.

Definitely not just a film for kids.

hehehehehe

I <snorted> a couple times.

The DVD we rented had the extras of course - watching the Wallace and Gromit technology this was based on was interesting - and Kate Winslet is just such a great "girl". Brilliant.

and the slugs as an ongoing gag ...

Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
Toilet humor, and the character Rita (female sewer rat) slapping her butt, and taunting the pursuing rats by shaking it at them are about as bad as it gets.

It's a good film, rent it, and sit down and enjoy it with the Sozlet, you'll love the doo-wop singing by the slugs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 07:20 am
Oh we saw it while still in the theater:

sozobe wrote:

Meanwhile, we saw "Flushed Away" today, it was really fun! Not nearly at "Wallace and Gromit" levels -- there's something inherently distancing/ alienating about computer animation vs. stop-motion, even though you could see that they were trying to rough things up a bit. Non-completely-smooth surfaces, etc. The humor was a bit more crude, in the simplistic sense -- lots of groin-whacking and such. But overall it was nice, sozlet had a great time (including dancing in the aisles at the end -- it was just us and one other family in the theater, plenty of room).

The slugs were awesome. :-)

We were doing slug-faces at each other for a while after the movie. It was definitely fun. I think it might be even more fun as a low-expectation video/ DVD rental than as a high-expectation first-run big-screen movie. (Especially after a recent viewing of "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit" -- "Flushed Away," while good, definitely suffers by comparison.)

Beth, I definitely pointed and cheered at "big girl's blouse" (for most of the movie we had the whole theater to ourselves and could be as loud and obnoxious as we wanted, then a family came straggling in very late and we toned it down a bit).
0 Replies