Spider page phpbb mod

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 02:33 pm
My lunch is over and I gotta run but if you can, take some screenshots and send me a link to them I'll be able to see what's goin' on.

My mood's fine. I just ahven't had time to change it. :-)
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 02:39 pm
ok - i think i figured out this particular problem - i needed to go to the left window, hit the top of the database, and then i had tabs on the right, and there is one, export - geez, whadya want - i'm a newbie and the mysql didn't make any sense to ol' me!
now to see if i can get this export stuff to work.... Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 02:43 pm
Ok sounds good. I'll probably be on late tonight if I have to work.
0 Replies

Administrator

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 12:14 pm
Per netclectic's request, I have removed his email address from some of the above posts. It has been replaced with the following language:

EMAIL REMOVED BY ADMIN

Thank you.
0 Replies

remalnet

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
Hi..

I recently joined your forum and it's flattering how much knowledge you have here guys.

I tried this MOD on my phpbb forum. At the first 3 hours it looked just fine and I noticed an increasing amount of visitors. however, 3 hours late I visited the site but it was shut down! the error message was:
Code:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/remalnet/public_html/bb/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/remalnet/public_html/bb/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/remalnet/public_html/bb/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Craven de Kere >> does this have anything to do with the MOD I installed?? how could I increase the number of maximum connections so that googlebots can log anytime and as much as I want?

thanx in advance>>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:37 pm
remalnet,

That would most likely be a server limitation imposed on you by your host.

phpBB is a resource hog, even with relatively low levels of activity you will not be able to run it on a shared hosting account without problems.

But there should be no problem with this code that would cause that (besides being the straw that broke the camel's back).

I use it here and get a few hundred thousand hits a day with few resource problems.

The difference is probably in the available resources.

Right now I am clustering this site on two dedicated servers.
0 Replies

remalnet

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:07 pm
that means I need to increase my bandwidth.. or is it just another option i have to ask for..

I didn't get why would you use two didicated servers.. is it for better security.. or better bandwidth??

thanx for your help
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:46 pm
Nope, not the bandwidth, as you probably have enough.

The limitations you are more likely to run into is CPU and memory of the server.

So what you need is hosting that allocates a greater amount of server resources to your account.

One way to do this is to rent the whole server (i.e. a dedicated server). On most shared hosting accounts you are sharing a low grade server with up to 1000 other sites.

The reason I use two servers here is because even a high-end dedicated server is not enough to handle the user load, and some of the work has to be shared with other servers.

Note that dedicated servers are not cheap. A shared hosting account can run around 9 dollars a month while the cheapest good dedicated accounts will be around 100 a month.

The servers I use for this site are about 290 dollars a month right now and that's at the very cheapest prices there are. I have seen equivalent servers running at over 2,000 dollars a month (managed hosting).

So the middle ground is what's called a "virtual dedicated server". It's all the rage these days and what it does is allocate your portion of the shared server resources to you, while normally the shared accounts let any of the sites on the server use as much of the server CPU as they can (until they are kicked off the server for hogging resources).

It's not easy to find the balance between a shared host and a dedicated host.

What you need to ask for are server specifications and the number of sites hosted on that server.

And ask what resource limitations you will have.

Sounds like your host limits concurrent database connections.
0 Replies

remalnet

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 06:00 pm
I'm using ipowerweb..
and I thought I got a good deal at first..
but you know how do companies offer something here and take out something else Rolling Eyes

It's almost 5 months since I started with them,, and I still have 7

I'll see what I can do..I'll ask them..
Virtual servers are a great solution but it was an expensive one for me.. as I'm having a non-profit web site..

thanx Craven.. you've offered great help.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 06:04 pm
Wanna know something funny?

I was on ipowerweb as well with A2K, it was Able2Know's first host. I bought a year of hosting and after a few months they cut my mysql database off.

They would have refunded me but I was too lazy to pursue it as they'd have refunded to a bank in Brazil, the place I was living before moving back stateside.

They aren't really cheating you, this is an implicit understanding about hosting and if you read their terms they will clearly state this.

Thing is, they call it "abuse" as in "mysql abuse" and most amateur webmasters don't realize that use = abuse at some levels.

I learned the hard way too, I used to think bandwidth was the only consideration. If you have a database driven site you will have to also take server resources into consideration.

You can get a refund with them and move to a "virtual dedicated server" for about the same price. There are some good one's in this site's portal.

But there is a catch to ipowerweb refunds, you might have to pay the setup fee that was waived (or the domain registration fee), and that usually negates the refund.
0 Replies

remalnet

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:25 pm
I guess I'm taking the same journey Smile Rolling Eyes

Couldn't u get more features from them before moving to another.. or is just that they can't really help?
I heard that as soon as you're sharing the same server with hundreds of sites, there shouldn't be any other way for you to enhance connectivity and database use.

I hope not.. I'm still waiting for a reply from them. but Meanwhile, should I uninstall your MOD or is it ok if I try another time. Thought this should not be 100% the reason I got this error message. ain't it?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:27 pm
Well, my personal experience with them was rocky.

I knew I was going to run into resource usage issues and had started looking for a new server. I contacted them and informed them of this, and told them if I pass tolerable levels of use to let me know and I'd move the site within a few days.

Well it seems this wasn't passed on to my server administrator and he simply cut off my mySQL access.

I had to rush to buy a new host and move the site.

Then after I moved they told me they have servers available for more resource intensive use, and the trade off is that they come without a control panel (they mush give SSH access or something.

But at that poin t it was too late and I was on my way to dedicated serverdom.

And since then it's been upgrades and clustering ever since, always needing more powerful processors.

But this mod should not be affecting this at all. If this error is given only when on this mod's page then there's probably just an error in its application.

If this error occurs on other phpbb pages then it is probably not related to the mod either.

I noticed that you are running the statistics module, that is a very resource intensive one.

I'd need to know more about this error to tell you exactly what causes it and what to do.
0 Replies

QuadSquad

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 09:52 pm
Hi Again..

Thanx Craven for all the useful information. It was so helpful.

I installed the hack again but still couldn't a good ranking although it's almost the fifth. I didn't notice any visitor activity either...

Is it normal? or should I check the codes again
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:54 pm
QuadSquad,

With search engine optimization your results usually take at least a month to show.

It's not a penis pill or anything. It's not magic. It's tedious and laborious work and attention to detail.

The spider page won't help your rankings, it's just meant to help provide ways to allow your topics to be indexed.

So it's normal not to see any noticable result. You get results in SEO from the sum of your attention to detail and work. There are few shortcuts and if there is one, everyone is taking it making you need more to differentiate your site.
This is just one possible (and not even really important) piece to the puzzle.
0 Replies

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 04:47 pm
Hi Everyone,

I want to install the Spyder Manage MOD by netclectic. But I can not find the download in http://www.phpbb.com/mods/downloads/ like suggested. Please let me know the url where I can download this. Your help is greatly apprecited. THANK YOU!! Very Happy Mr. Newbie
0 Replies

LocanT

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:26 pm
Craven Is this spider page still relevant (worth doing alongside) with your mod?
0 Replies

FSE

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:06 pm
mmm, is it wise to use this with all the other able2know stuff as well?

i have added it on, but when i look at the page that it generates, all of the links go to a .html address. Great for the SEO I guess, but they lead back to my index in a strange sort of fashion - not to the topic itself. Im not sure how this is supposed to work....
0 Replies