Dialer Programs

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:55 pm
I've just finished running a scan on my computer, using Norton Antivirus 2006 and found two rather strange dialer programs on my computer.

They're dialer.generic and both were found within C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS244.CAB, in two APY files within them that I couldn't locate when I went there.

I was just wondering... should I delete this entire .cab file just to be on the safe side or will it drastically affect some program? I ask, because Norton Antivirus wasn't exactly helpful on whether I needed the .CAB for anything (just whether I needed the infected APY files)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 649 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 08:39 pm
That file is in your System Restore cache, and neither readily accessible/readily manipulated by you nor capable of accessing your system, unless the Restore Point with which it is associated is invoked. Unless you're up for a buncha pretty knowledgeably geeky fooling around (which I don't recommend unless you don't need to be talked through it, which by your question is not likely and which I won't go into on a general user web discussion), the best way to get rid of a file in System Restore is to Disable/Re-enable System Restore. Make sure your machine is operating satisfactorily, then disable System Restore, which will remove all Restore Points. Reboot, re-enable System Restore, and manually set a new Restore Point, either via Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore> place a click in "Create a Restore Point", click "Next" and proceed according to the prompts, or via Start>Run> type (or copy & paste), without the quotes, "msconfig", click "OK" or hit [ENTER], click the "Launch System Restore" bar, place a click in "Create a Restore Point", click "Next", and proceed according to the prompts.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 05:46 am
Thanks for that info. I'll be sure to get rid of that restore point as soon as possible.
0 Replies