New Zealand's relationship with the West Island

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:51 pm
I just came across this cartoony and I thought it highlighted a particular aspect of the ANZ relationship. I'm inviting all and sundry from both sides of the Tasman to talk about how they see the relationship, good and bad.

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5285279,00.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,342 • Replies: 28
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:30 pm
Er....I don't get it.

Drug cheat?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:57 pm
Phar lap was foaled in New Zealand. They recently decided that he died from arsenic poisoning. Thing is, in those days arsenic was used quite a bit in "tonics". I think the cartoon is implying that too much "tonic" was what killed him.

Will be back re the actual topic.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:22 pm
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:46 am
I think the arsenic was to make his coat shiny.

Ha indeed!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:31 am
New Zealand born actor bad boy Russel Crow........

Australian actor Russel Crow was awarded...........
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:36 am
And they're all sheep rooters but the NZ gunners put their shells where we needed em at Long Tan.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:41 am
Are there more New Zullenders in Oz than in New Zealand?
I often wonder why so many left home & came here a few years back. Rogernomics, most likely. Ha, & look what they've got now! Shocked
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:13 pm
We have a bunch of stereotypes about each other. I'm pretty sure the Kiwis think we're the sheep rooters.

My own 'fortified through experience' stereotype is that Kiwis are bad drunks. I used to work in a club and couple of kiwis joined who were lovely blokes until one night they tied one on and wanted to fight everyone in the joint - never seen such a personality change, and I worked with pissed people all the time.

On the other hand I envy NZ independence of thought, they stood up to the US on principals I think were well worth sticking to, we on the other hand are sluts to the US. That the rest of the world could turn a blind eye to the French government's terrorist attack on the Rainbow Warrior highlights just how smelly and hypocritical the world if international politics is.

And they have a treaty with their indigenous people. We just hope ours will die out and go away. It's almost like NZ is Canada and we're the USA.

And I love Marlborough Sauvignon Blancs.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 09:29 pm
hingehead wrote:

And Hokey pokey Ice cream.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:22 pm
Ooh. Tell me more - never heard of it...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:29 am
hingehead wrote:
..... I envy NZ independence of thought, they stood up to the US on principals I think were well worth sticking to, we on the other hand are sluts to the US.

Yup.

Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 04:22 am
hingehead wrote:
We have a bunch of stereotypes about each other. I'm pretty sure the Kiwis think we're the sheep rooters.

My own 'fortified through experience' stereotype is that Kiwis are bad drunks. I used to work in a club and couple of kiwis joined who were lovely blokes until one night they tied one on and wanted to fight everyone in the joint - never seen such a personality change, and I worked with pissed people all the time.

On the other hand I envy NZ independence of thought, they stood up to the US on principals I think were well worth sticking to, we on the other hand are sluts to the US. That the rest of the world could turn a blind eye to the French government's terrorist attack on the Rainbow Warrior highlights just how smelly and hypocritical the world if international politics is.

And they have a treaty with their indigenous people. We just hope ours will die out and go away. It's almost like NZ is Canada and we're the USA.

Yeah.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 07:35 pm
hokey-pokey ice cream has honeycomb in it.

I've never seen it here - but it's one of my treats on NZ visits.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:26 am
I have just discovered hokey pokey ice cream! I bought some at Woolworths last week. It's made in Western Australia 'made especially for Woolworths and Safeway' it says on the lid. Bloody lovely! Did it originate in Enzed?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:30 am
lezzles wrote:
Did it originate in Enzed?

Yes but the kiwis I know say its a poor immitation. (well they would wouldnt they)

The NZ version has crunchy butterscotch bits. At least thats my recollection.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:55 am
Yes the one I bought has little butterscotch balls in it.

-----

It's certainly a funny relationship between Oz and Enzed. Sometimes I love Kiwis and sometimes I loathe them.

After the Rainbow Warrior bombing, I was all for going to war with La Belle France - "How dare they do that to OUR New Zealand?" - but I changed my mind when Lange was able to overcome his "principles" long enough to strike a deal with the frogs.

(following is an excerpt from Wikipedia article on Rainbow Warrior)

"...After conviction and imprisonment of the two French agents France threatened to block New Zealand exports to the European Economic Community unless the two were released. In June 1986, in a political deal with the then Prime Minister of New Zealand David Lange and presided over by the United Nations Secretary-General, Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, France agreed to pay compensation of NZ$13 million (US$6.5 million) to New Zealand and 'apologise', in return for which Mafart and Prieur would be detained at the French military base on Hao atoll for three years. However, the two spies had both returned to France by May 1988, after less than two years on the atoll. Mafart having ostensibly travelled to France for medical treatment (without returning at the conclusion at the treatment) and Prieur having become pregnant after her husband had been allowed to join her..."

As for thumbing their noses at the Yanks and telling them to take their nuclear warships elsewhere - yes, a very brave show of principle.

Except (pardon my cynicism) - if anyone ever threatened to attack or invade New Zealand would we stand by and do nothing? I doubt that very much. And as we have pretty strong defence agreements with the US, I would be fairly certain they too, would step in.

Gotta go, be back later.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:43 am
lezzles wrote:

Except (pardon my cynicism) - if anyone ever threatened to attack or invade New Zealand would we stand by and do nothing? I doubt that very much. And as we have pretty strong defence agreements with the US, I would be fairly certain they too, would step in.

Any stategic value to New Zealand? No? watch the US turn its back?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
By its proximity to us, I just cannot see the Yanks letting anyone attack NZ. (The question arises - like who would want to) but for argument's sake...

We might not agree with the US on many things (or even most things) but we do rely on them for support in time of need. It is an unfortunate fact of life. Our navy these days comprises one Manly ferry and a pilot launch (oh yes, I forgot, a fleet of submarines, very expensive submarines, that don't work under water), and we have no one else to depend on if it ever hit the fan. (The UK? hahahahahahahahaha!)

I'm waiting and hoping for some Kiwi input to this thread...! Cool
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:58 pm
Me too. There were at least a couple around. I wonder if Kiwichick is still posting?
0 Replies