Marie Antionette

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
Hi

this film was only in our cinemas 1 week.
That usaully happens if the film is awful.
Has anybody seen it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,435 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:59 am
Well, personally I think Kirsten Dunst is generally speaking a bad actress.

So probably it sucked. Laughing
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:25 am
I thought she pretty good in The Virgin Suicides though!

I would like to see her in Marie Antoinette.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 05:18 pm
I thought Dunst was a good choice for the role. The movie has many problems in terms of story and dialogue, parts of it dragged, but it was visually beautiful. I think I might have liked it better with the sound off. I personally didn't like the use of contemporary music as background noise while the scenery and costumes were so accurate and stunning.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:54 pm
My 14 y.o. daughter wants me to take her. I wonder if she'd find it a little educational or purely entertainment.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
I hope she takes it as pure entertainment. Hollywood has a tendency to take great liberties with actual history.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 10:59 pm
Maybe it will inspire her to read up on her story. I wish I could get that kid to read more.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:12 pm
One idea may be to require that her TV time be equal to her reading time.

For example, if she reads for 1 hour, then she can watch TV for 1 hour.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:32 pm
Now there's an idea that I like!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:05 am
Would that include mandatory class time reading? Cereal boxes? Street signs? Watch out for loopholes!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:07 am
Good point, she's pretty witty and will try anything. But she can't outsmart me!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:14 am
Marty, the movie is based on the book Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser. I highly recommend reading it, maybe after seeing the movie in order to get the full story. Here's the Amazon link:

Book on Amazon

I would suggest you read the book aloud together, maybe a chapter or two a night. She could read to you while you make dinner, you could read to her as she cleans up dishes.

As someone who has worked with literacy students I don't like the carrot and stick approach. Many parents try to get their kids to read by trading privileges. The problem is reading starts to seem like a punishment or chore. Reading should be done because it's fun and interesting. You can limit her TV/Computer use, but try not to dictate how she has to use that time.

The movie has a couple of sexy scenes and fuzzy nudity, but nothing worse than what any kid would see on MTV or a Victoria's Secret ad.

Just a side note: I've used the below website to check for movie content. It's designed for families to decide if a movie is something they want their kids to see. They break the film down to the tiniest kiss, sip of whiskey, and how many times the "f" word is spoken. I found it helpful when my nieces and nephews were younger.

Family Movie Reviews
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 07:25 am
tomasso wrote:
I thought she pretty good in The Virgin Suicides though!

I would like to see her in Marie Antoinette.

The Virgin Suicides was just a great film from the start.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:30 am
I want to see it for the visuals and also for the whole mix of contemporary music. That's what I liked about "Moulin Rouge". Dunst is a smart choice for this style, I think. Nicole Kidman not so much.

And maybe it will spark a literary interest in the 14 year old. Sure can't hurt to try.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:35 am
Loove Moulin Rouge, I like NIcole but thought she was a bit too old/tall for the role.
Yep, I like the mix of old style with new music.Love dramatic costumes, why dont we dress like that anymore.
Id like to see MA but its no longer on locally.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:58 pm
material girl wrote:
why dont we dress like that anymore.

I was going to let it slide but just couldn't resist.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Let's start with the whaleboned corsets...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:59 pm
Ah, corsets aren't so bad.

:wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:19 pm
All day every day?
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:34 pm