Interesting Demographics

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 02:40 pm
If anyone saw the celebrations in Iraq over Saddam's fate, you probably noticed how young all the people looked. This pic was posted by a Marine stationed in Iraq, taken earlier today. These folks were all in violation of curfew to stage their parade. Note: Shortly after this was taken the Marines took an RPG attack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/jholler/OIF/100_2028.jpg

Iraq:
population:
26,783,383 (July 2006 est.)

Median age:
total: 19.7 years
male: 19.6 years
female: 19.8 years (2006 est.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gaza Strip:
Median age:
total: 15.8 years
male: 15.7 years
female: 16 years (2006 est.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pakistan:
Median age:
total: 19.8 years
male: 19.7 years
female: 20 years (2006 est.)

USA:
Median age:
total: 36.5 years
male: 35.1 years
female: 37.8 years (2006 est.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The UK:
Median age:
total: 39.3 years
male: 38.2 years
female: 40.4 years (2006 est.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Germany:
Median age:
total: 42.6 years
male: 41.3 years
female: 43.9 years (2006 est.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Russia:
Median age:
total: 38.4 years
male: 35.2 years
female: 41.3 years (2006 est.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,181 • Replies: 27
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:41 pm
So what's your take on those stats CJ. What do they suggest to you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:42 pm
Violent societies.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:14 pm
Seems a little weird that a violent society would only kill older citizens. Maybe it's more about access to health care and birth rates. Just sayin.

Another way to interpret it would be to say societies with a much higher median age are actively killing their younger people.

And the Gaza strip isn't a country, it's part of Israel, I wonder what Israel's age pyramid looks like.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:29 pm
So places where life is short, brutal, and nasty may be prone to social unrest?

Huh. Go figure.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:35 am
I just said it was interesting. Whenever we see pictures from Iraq of large mobs of civilians they're always really young. Those above weren't violent youthful protestors, they are celebrating Saddam's sentencing.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:47 am
Maybe it just means that young people are the ones who have the time during the day to go rally.

Absent further information, I'd say it's virtually impossible to draw any conclusions.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:51 am
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 06:54 am
High unemployment, too. Idle hands and all...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:34 am
cjhsa wrote:
I just said it was interesting.

It is interesting. There is a lot to ponder here. Basically, what you've shown is that some of the more developed and industrialized societies of the west (Britain, Germany, US) are older populations. This is a completely predictable outcome of industrialization. But populations in the rest of the world are typically younger due to a whole host of other factors, like life expectancy and birth rate, also related to industrialization. Whether or not youthful populations are more prone to violence, I can't say. Or maybe you're saying that violent societies kill off all of their old people and so stay younger?

Anyway, I think it's a fascinating topic and you should read more about it. You can build population pyramids here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 08:51 am
FreeDuck wrote:

Anyway, I think it's a fascinating topic and you should read more about it. You can build population pyramids here.

Remembering what was taught at school certainly would help understanding. But if that fails, your link might give some ideas.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:02 am
Oh, if only we were all taught about this in school.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:15 am
The only thing I am saying is "man those folks sure are young".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:18 am
That's easy enough to explain by the higher birth rate and shorter life expectancy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:19 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Oh, if only we were all taught about this in school.

I meant "age pyramid" and different ages in industrialised coubtries vs. third world - we even did so 40 years back when I was at school. (And of course at university, but that only because I studied Social Work)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:59 am
That's what I meant too. No, though we touched on age pyramids in high school, not until college, in an elective economic geography course, did I learn how to put it all together.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:09 am
I suppose, the main difference for that is that we learn such at scholl while at univeity/college we are stufying the subject we've chosen.
(That's e.g why in history - although the age pyramid certainly is an issue - noone teaches anything about it: the relevant basic knowledge is taken for granted.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
Yes. I should also confess that I am a product of Florida public schools of the 80s and 90s, so my poor education may not be representative of the whole country.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:03 am
In my final year in school (the 8th grade) I ws required to take a course in demographics, I found it quite interesting.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:07 am
youth is idealistic... the rest are tired and worn down....
0 Replies