Ninja Ear Mites

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:24 am
Just got back from my two boys' (George and Joe - 5 yr old black longhaired domestics) annual checkup at the vet. They were fine, except for EAR MITES.

This is a mystery to me - the vet says the only way for them to have contracted them was by coming in contact with other cats who are infected with them. These two NEVER leave the apartment for ANYTHING - except for a couple of minutes when one or the other makes a mad dash when the door is cracked, and I retrieve them in seconds.

Are there cunning covert Ninja Ear Mites rappeling into my living room in the wee hours of morning and infecting my boys?

Anyone have any experience with ear mite infections for housebound cats?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,981 • Replies: 32
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:25 am
prolly got them from you...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:30 am
I asked about that, but that's impossible - we're a species that doesn't get ear mites - has to do with the acid/wax mixture in our earwax.
Thanks for the erudite suggestion though. Now you can go back to reading soldier of fortune and jerking off.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:36 am
That "species" comment is quite an assumption.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:37 am
I know that ear mites and the mites that affect rats are different, or I assume they are, but I think mites can travel.

Years ago I worked with a group designing an exhibit for a museum. We were set up in some old building on a local campus. One week a bunch of us started having to scratch our stomachs.. it turned out to be mites, from the rats that lived in the building attic, not the office area - at least we never saw evidence of vermin in the office. We had to have the place fumigated..

The job was annoying enough without that aggravation..
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:07 am
cjhsa wrote:
That "species" comment is quite an assumption.

But the comment about your leisure time activities are spot-on, I bet.

It's not an assumption, Daniel Boone.

Earwax, also known by the medical term cerumen, is a yellowish, waxy substance secreted in the ear canal of humans and many other mammals. It plays a vital role in the human ear canal, assisting in cleaning and lubrication, and also provides some protection from bacteria, fungus, and insects.

-from wikipedia

Human earwax is why we don't regularly get checked for earmites, and our pets do. You might get earmites though cjhsa, which would be further proof that you just ain't human, which I've always suspected anyway from how much you like killing things.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
Whatsa matter snood, can't think of anything better that to just mimic me?

You sound like a Pee Wee Herman skit.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:14 am
You showed up on this thread just to be a pain in the ass.

Mission accomplished - give yourself five.

Now, is there anyone else who cares to speculate about my ninja ear mites?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:26 am
Id jump in here with a piece of golden ear mite information but Im afraid Id get a snood smite.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:27 am
How long have you lived in the apartment? Is it possible that they were stowaways from previous tenants?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
youve heard the saying that "walls have ears"
well? we give you proof
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:38 am
Consider yourself smited (smitten didn't quite sound right), fm.

Soz, I've been here 4 years. The doc says it has to come from a live host. I tell ya, its puzzling as hell.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:39 am
Mice.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
If I had mice, it stands to reason I'd have seen some sign of them over the last 4 years - gnawings - droppings....

This apartment has been markedly pestfree.

And the only rat I know of in the vicinity is you, cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:51 am
Well, if it isn't direct animal contact, then it's you, like I said before. They don't leave the apartment - you do.

Learn to use logic and you will be able to narrow things down more quickly.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:54 am
snood wrote:

Soz, I've been here 4 years. The doc says it has to come from a live host. I tell ya, its puzzling as hell.

You've been there 4 years, they're five years old -- maybe there was little enough time between when the old tenants left and you guys moved in that they were still, I dunno, fresh?

But re-reading it sounds like they were only just discovered and they've been to the vet before...? (As in, if they got them 4 years ago they would've been found before now.)

Weird.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 11:59 am
cjhsa wrote:
Well, if it isn't direct animal contact, then it's you, like I said before. They don't leave the apartment - you do.

Learn to use logic and you will be able to narrow things down more quickly.

Your thoughts are as welcome and useful here as they ever are, cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:02 pm
Why don't you ask c.i. about HD TV while you're at it. You two are meant for each other.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
Are there other cats in the apartment complex? If so, they could come into indirect contact in the hallway. Also, it's theoretically possible that one of your visitors who owns a cat could have inadvertently carried a mite into your home.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:55 am
Very Happy
0 Replies