Ninja Ear Mites

snood

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:21 am
CowDoc wrote:
Are there other cats in the apartment complex? If so, they could come into indirect contact in the hallway. Also, it's theoretically possible that one of your visitors who owns a cat could have inadvertently carried a mite into your home.

thanks, Cowdoc.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:39 pm
Hmmm. Don't know why, but things like this fascinate me.

Could they (or their larvae) have been carried in on your shoes perhaps? Or blown in through a window from a passing bird or from nearby trees? I thought maybe a plant that you may have bought but you said the vet said it had to be a live host.

Let us know if you find out where they came from.

x
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 12:55 pm
The answer doesn't seem to be clear on whether people can carry mites in to their cats. Some sites I found said humans can be carriers until the mites find the cat or dog, although it's not common. Others said no way, there's no possible way a human carried it in.

They are highly contagious but for pet to pet transfer, I think that the infected cat has to be near the non-infected cat, although it said that the mite can live a short time out side of the ear canal on the cat or in the environment. It's possible it hitched a ride on you.

I couldn't find whether or not the mite can jump.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:46 pm
They can't jump, but only crawl. They are fun to watch in a microscope, though. Also, they have no larval stage in their life cycle.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:55 pm
So, CowD, are these apt to be different than rat mites, or... the same.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
If they can live for a short while outside of their hosts (which seems likely to me), maybe they did hitch a ride on me. The only other cats I have contact with are my fiancee's, and she is rigorously regular with their Revolution monthly treatments for parasites.

I will proceed under the assumption that somehow some ear mites took a ride on me into my inner sanctum, although I really hate the thought. I just don't know what else to think. And thanks all of you for replying. My boys got a thorough cleaning, and have received 2 of 4 weekly treatments of Otomite drops, so I guess they'll be okay.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:09 pm
snood wrote:
If they can live for a short while outside of their hosts (which seems likely to me), maybe they did hitch a ride on me. The only other cats I have contact with are my fiancee's, and she is rigorously regular with their Revolution monthly treatments for parasites.

I will proceed under the assumption that somehow some ear mites took a ride on me into my inner sanctum, although I really hate the thought. I just don't know what else to think. And thanks all of you for replying. My boys got a thorough cleaning, and have received 2 of 4 weekly treatments of Otomite drops, so I guess they'll be okay.

good news.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:02 am
This was a fun mystery.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:35 am
Fun if you're cjhsa, enjoy baiting people, and aren't the owner of the infested cats.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:58 am
The babies will be back to normal in no time.

Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:36 pm
snood wrote:
Fun if you're cjhsa, enjoy baiting people, and aren't the owner of the infested cats.

I answered your question twice on the first page. That's not baiting, that's intelligence. Sorry you can't recognize it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
Well, I think I can be allowed a little skepticism about the sincerity of your desire to give a straight answer to anything I ask, cjhsa - given our history. Whether you acknowledge the overall prickly nature of our exchanges, or not.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:41 pm
osso - which type of rat mite did you mean?
0 Replies