Musical biographies

Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 01:26 am
I recently caught "Walk the Line" on cable. I watched it through, but was unengaged. The acting was good; the story was compelling. What bothered me?

Idea Joaquin Phoenix was credible as Johnny Cash the man, but he ain't no singer. I never for one moment believed that the person doing the singing, namely Phoenix, would have been a star. The movie would have been better if the singing had been dubbed.

Another example of when dubbing would have helped was Coal Miner's Daughter. It was a wonderful movie. I truly enjoyed it. I was not all that familiar with Loretta Lynn. Certainly not as familiar as I am with Johnny Cash. When it was over, I asked a friend if Loretta Lynn was a better singer than Sissy Spacek. My friend said yes. That explained what bothered me.

Two examples of movies in which dubbing helped are What's Love Got to Do with It and Ray. When Angela Bassett stood on the stage for the first time and opened her mouth, I instantly believed that she would succeed as a singer. Of course, she would. That was Tina Turner singing. The same is true for Ray. No one could sing like Ray Charles. Glad no one tried.

I wonder why actors, who are not singers, sing in movies in which the person being portrayed has a well-known and unmistakable sound. Why do they do it?

I can't possibly be the only one who feels this way, can I? Is dubbing better than actors singing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 824 • Replies: 9
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 01:35 am
They might be singers in their own minds. Maybe their singing should be recorded for them to hear. However, some can sing but not as well as the successful singers. I guess it is a pride thing.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:07 am
I suppose its more of a tribute rather than trying to sound like the artist.
I loved Delovely.Ive no idea what cole Porter was like but I thought Kevin Klines portrayal was magical.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:39 am
talk, So you think it's a pride thing. Ego, maybe. Big mistake, IMO.

Material Girl, I agree that Delovely was delovely, and Kevin Kline was wonderful. But he portrayed Cole Porter, who wasn't a singer. On the other hand, Kevin Kline is a wonderful singer. I wouldn't be surprised if he sounded better than Cole Porter did.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:46 am
Maybe it's something to do with the actors involved thinking they are not doing a "proper" acting job unless they sing the songs themselves in character.

What about this Bobby Darin film with Kevin Spacey in it? I've heard that he is a great singer and sounds just like him. Has anyone seen it yet or heard him?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:48 am
Not about a musical biography...but has anyone seen the movie A Prairie Home Companion?

Toward the end, Meryl Strep sang a solo, and it REALLY moved me.

I was surprised how well she sang.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:17 am
Meryl Streep is a classically trained singer.

x
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:33 am
Oh!

I did not know that...

well, she sound great.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:09 am
I thought Joaquin did fine as Johnny Cash, since Cash wasn't that great a vocalist anyway. Not taking anything away but, IMO, he falls in that same category as many singers who are terrific stylists, but not great voices.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:36 pm
Dorothy, I saw part of Beyond the Sea. Spacey did a credible job, and he sounded a lot like Bobby Darin. The movie, however, was from hunger. Couldn't get all the way through.

Chai Tea, Meryl Streep is an amazingly talented singer. She doesn't sing much. I understand it makes her noivous.

eoe, I agree that Cash wasn't a great singer. But he had a way with lyrics and a very distinctive style. Phoenix did a wonderful job acting. But the sound was wrong, and it made the whole movie hard to accept--for me. On the other hand, Reese Witherspoon's singing sounded fine to me. I have no idea what June Carter sounded like.
0 Replies